Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1992 4Runner, New TPS, New Alt. Brushes Car won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 4Runner, New TPS, New Alt. Brushes Car won’t start

Hey everyone, I’m stuck. I have a 1992 4Runner Manual transmission with the 3VZE in it and for the longest time it would have extreme hesitation intermittently. 3 days ago while driving to work my car decided to bog down to 200 rpm and wouldn’t allow me to go faster than 5 mph. I was able to limp my car home and after reading A ton of forums decided to replace my TPS sensor. I picked up a OEM sensor from Toyota, slapped it on “adjusted” it and tried to start it up. NOTHING. The engine cranked and cranked but never started up. I jumped my car for codes and got no codes at all. Just continuous fast blinking with no pauses in between. I took the part back got a new one and the same thing happened, all crank no start. While I was there I changed the transmission fluid and alternator brushes. I currently have my throttle body off and on my work bench checking the tps with a MultiMeter getting 2200-2300 OHMS at 0.00mm while testing pins VTA and E2. Sorry for the long explanation everyone I usually find an answer on here but I’m 100% stumped.
EDIT: I also went today and replaced my Dis. Cap and Rotor and recently replaced all wires and spark plugs

Last edited by AlwaysBroken4runner; 08-21-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
did you try putting the old TPS back on?
Did you check for spark?
Your drivability description could be a plugged catalytic converter or low fuel pressure or a lot of things.
Test before you replace! then test again after you replace a part to verify that what you found out of spec is now in spec.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
did you try putting the old TPS back on?
Did you check for spark?
Your drivability description could be a plugged catalytic converter or low fuel pressure or a lot of things.
Test before you replace! then test again after you replace a part to verify that what you found out of spec is now in spec.
My apologies yes I already did try to put the old one back and ran into the same thing also. Also when I do crank it I get a strong gas smell. Could it by my coil pack too? It’s suoer strange to me that it would just not start all together out of nowhere like this is it possible I blew an important fuse somewhere other than the fuse boxes ?

Last edited by AlwaysBroken4runner; 08-21-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysBroken4runner

My apologies yes I already did try to put the old one back and ran into the same thing also. Also when I do crank it I get a strong gas smell. Could it by my coil pack too? It’s suoer strange to me that it would just not start all together out of nowhere like this is it possible I blew an important fuse somewhere other than the fuse boxes ?
Did you answer the question that have you checked for spark?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by mholme

Did you answer the question that have you checked for spark?
I couldn’t find my spark plug socket so I went and picked one up along with 6 spark plugs and I’m gonna Check right now! I’ll post the results! also gonna do a compression test!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Get a $30 timing light. Not only will you need it to check ignition timing, but it is the easiest way to check for spark (put the inductive pickup on each plug wire and crank. If it flashes, you have spark.)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:37 PM

Ok so I went ahead and checked for spark and I don’t have any spark at all. Did I maybe blow a fuse somewhere other than the two fuse boxes
EDIT: there is spark! I had unplugged the dis connector for the comp. test plugged it back in and I now have spark

Last edited by AlwaysBroken4runner; 08-21-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Get a $30 timing light. Not only will you need it to check ignition timing, but it is the easiest way to check for spark (put the inductive pickup on each plug wire and crank. If it flashes, you have spark.)
That sounds really useful I’ll probably have to pick one up tomorrow sadly! I tested it really quick by putting the spark plug and wire against bare metal on the car and Taking a video of it. EDIT: there is spark!

Last edited by AlwaysBroken4runner; 08-21-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:52 PM

Go back and check for fuel. Verify the fuel pump is running when it should be. You didn’t mention checking the air filter/VAFM either. Start with the simple things first. Don’t throw parts at it.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:47 PM

Go back and check for fuel. Verify the fuel pump is running when it should be. You didn’t mention checking the air filter/VAFM either. Start with the simple things first. Don’t throw parts at it.
Ok I will do that in the morning I turned in for the night and decided to do some more digging what exactly is the VAFM and what am I checking it for? Also just cleaned the air filter it’s a aftermarket K&N the PO had it put on there already and didn’t have the original air intake anymore. Also I do hear the fuel pump kickin on every time I turn the key, I will double check that it’s actually getting fuel and post results back!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

When you changed the plugs what did they look like?

Get the wires back on correct I could have two spark plugs and mix them up.

Timing belt slipped ?? How many miles ?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

When you changed the plugs what did they look like?

Get the wires back on correct I could have two spark plugs and mix them up.

Timing belt slipped ?? How many miles ?
Just did the plugs 3 months ago I took them out and they all looked almost brand new, Fuel filter was changed 8 months ago I’ve probably put 4500 miles on that filter, when I changed the Dist. Cap I took pictures and marked my cables. The car has 242,000 miles on it and I’ve slowly been replacing everything, and a month ago I did the timing belt, water pump ( whole cooling system since the Rad. cracked) there was a strange noise coming from behind the timing belt cover a week ago that was there for a day and went away sounded like something was rattling. However it went away so quickly that I didn’t think anything of it. Is it possible this has something to do with it not starting?
Old 08-22-2018, 06:37 AM

This is how all of them came out last night. None of. Them looked bad.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:35 PM

A little update today went to Check for gas and I am getting a really rich gas mixture and tons of gas Getting to the throttle body
Old 08-22-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysBroken4runner
A little update today went to Check for gas and I am getting a really rich gas mixture and tons of gas Getting to the throttle body
Gas getting to the throttle body? Did you futz with the vacuum/fuel lines when you did the timing belt?
Old 08-22-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts

Gas getting to the throttle body? Did you futz with the vacuum/fuel lines when you did the timing belt?
Throttlebody was removed to replace and calibrate the TPS.

Time to go back over the plumbing..
Old 08-22-2018, 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=mholme;52406293]

[/QUOTE
No I didn’t mess with any fuel lines or vacuum lines when I did the timing belt. It has good compression good spark and it’s gettinf fuel. The Butterfly is working like it should too checked all fuses underneath the the steering wheel and the main fuse box by the battery.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:27 PM

You probably need to go back to ground zero at this point and recheck a few things. A rattling sound that went away usually isn’t a good sign. I would pull your timing covers, check the tensioner(spring tensioner?) and verify timing among other things. Your issues could be anywhere in between the ignition process.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:49 PM

You probably need to go back to ground zero at this point and recheck a few things. A rattling sound that went away usually isn’t a good sign. I would pull your timing covers, check the tensioner(spring tensioner?) and verify timing among other things. Your issues could be anywhere in between the ignition process.
I think I’m gonna have to go ahead and just double check the whole timing system. Would a timing belt that jumped a tooth or is just off in general still allow the engine to crank over rhythmically and create spark along all spark plugs?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It will crank it will have spark. just not fire when it should

if the belt is broken then the distributor will not be turning

Quick Reply: 1992 4Runner, New TPS, New Alt. Brushes Car won’t start