Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1990 4Runner 3.0L 4X4 WON'T CRANK!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 4Runner 3.0L 4X4 WON'T CRANK!

Ok here is the situation...
I bought this vehicle (1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4X4 A/T 3.0L V6) about 3 weeks ago, it started right up when I bought it, and drove it away, about 45 minutes later I was driving and it began to lose power, and then it shut off, would not start again, I have replaced the following; Fuel pump, fuel filter, EFI relay, Plugs and wires, a new distributor cap, new rotor, and new ignition coil, put in a used distributor out of a 1991 runner, bought a used ignitor yet it still will not start, I pulled all of the plugs today and the (3) on the passenger side of the motor were wet with gas, the other (3) looked as if they had been firing off, the timing belt is still on, I am going to check if it is time, it will crank but will not start, it is getting fuel and it is getting a spark, the spark from the coil is dark yellow, and from the plugs it is white, please I could really use more suggestions because it just doesn't seem to be getting enough spark to ignite the fuel...Thanks...
**update** the motor is in time, and yes I made sure it was TDC before replacing the distributor.

Last edited by etrilling; 11-13-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 PM

Just to get you started I'm going to suggest that you run a diagnostic scan. Download the FSM here: http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html and read up on how to do a diagnostic scan.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Let's start with vocabulary. I like:
Won't crank: the motor won't turn over. At all.
Won't fire: it cranks, but I don't hear any cylinder firing
Won't start: it fires and tries to run, but when I let go of the key it quits
Won't run: I can get it to start, but no matter what I do, after "n" seconds it quits.
Won't idle: I can keep it running by [holding my foot on the gas, whatever], but if I stop doing that it eventually dies.

You say it won't crank, but I think you mean it won't fire. Or is it something else? If it won't crank, you don't care if the plugs are wet. If it won't fire, use a timing light to check that you've got spark at each plug (you can do the shade-tree method of holding a sparkplug against something grounded, but it's hard to do, dangerous, and hard on the plugs. Plus, you're going to need a $20 timing light anyway, so bite the bullet and get serious.)
Old 10-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
^^x2. also might need to check the efi fuse next to the efi relay. if that is blown look below the drivers door at the 02 sensor and see if the wire harness is touching the exhaust. fix wires, replace fuse and drive
Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 AM

i have a simular problem, except mine stopped firing since i went thru a MUD/WATER puddle. any ideas ? - mine cranks over but doesnt FIRE/START/ or RUN.

so when i turn the key the electrics come on but it goes *CRUNK CRUNK* and nothing.
was running fine until that. - oh thought i would mention its PETROL - stupid me...
lol - should of got diesel...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 AM

What happens when you go to crank it over?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM

if its not cranking, it could be as easy as your starter contacts are worn. $1 fix, but what a bitch to get it out.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:14 AM

wow you guys are awesome, heaps quick at getting back to me, when i go to turn the key it cranks like makes that ticking noise likes its trying to turn over to start the car but stops like there i have to keep trying, but no like ignition noise or spark, its weird, this all started after going thru WATER, when i went thru the water the whole car cut out and i thought yeah well thats because its PETROL and not DIESEL and the ELECTRICS must have got wet, but what would i kno, its my first time with these type of cars and never had a 4x4 so im learning having fun but its going to be a expensive lesson im thinking - hope not!!!

a mechanic said something bout water has gotten into the engine and could be compression but weird thing is. when i went thru the water - and it cut out. OIL COME pI$$ing out and we got it out of the water with my mates RODEO and then looked under the car and it looks fine... WEIRD
Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 AM

Is it a manual? Try roll starting it.

When you try to start it, does it sound like metal teeth scraping together? I had a 3.0 that seized up. When I went to start it, the starter would just scrape. I figured the teeth on the starter were just bad. But it ended up being seized up. Of course, for my it was just a offloading truck that I drove with a bad head gasket lol. Water in your engine can cause it to seize up too. Either way. The 3.slow engines suck! If you end up having to pull the engine, do a 3.4 swap.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM

first thing i tried was push roll start and drop clutch in 2nd and nothing...

but yeah im just bout to take it to mechanics now with TOWEZILLA from anytime towing but yeah if i was going to ˟˟˟˟ the engine off and put a 3.4 if thats the way to go. will it fit and how much would i be looking at to do this. or you recon do something else.
i have 7 grand to spend on the car... its a project for my first off road car...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 PM

3.4 will fit not too many wires to change. Should link up to your 5 speed trans. You'll have to make new exhaust.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 AM

how much would it ruffly cost to drop a 3.4 in all up... you recon?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:45 AM

Doing it yourself?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 AM

nah i dont know s**t bout cars mate. so i would be getting my mate to do it for me.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 AM

if my engine is stuffed... and im serious about 4x4, i dont mind spending money if its gonna go hard and take me everything. these cars have the camry motor in them i was told AVALON/CAMRY 3.0L V6 or something, im more of a sports car freak before all this so i know alot about skylines and RB motors but when it comes to these i wouldnt have a clue. my mate was saying something about putting a 7M or 1JZ or 2JZ engine in out of a supra. how would that go... would it just bolt in and link up to gearbox and being the fact that the supra is 2wd and the 4runner is 4x4 i dont wanna go out and get a supra engine and its gonna run hard but nothings going to link or connect up and is gonna be big problem cause i can get a mk2 or mk3 car or engine for cheap like we talking under 2-3grand and then probs 1-2to put it in, so we talking 5k here. but i dunno.

does anyone kno. cause its a good car and it went hard, im not going to go thru water anymore...

but if i got a supra motor and slapped it in would it link/connect up to everything i already have because it is TOYOTA so i dont see why it wouldnt

would it even fit into the engine bay. 7M,1JZ or 2JZ, 2JZ is pretty extreme but 1JZ or 7M could do the trick ay ?

wait to here back from someone hopefully...
cause im getting a bad feeling bout this motor being seized up and im going either have to rebuild which is stupid, drop the 3.4 or go something bit more crazy SUPRA hehe

cause before all this i was just gonna buy a R32,R33 or R34 GTR skyline and jack it right up with 5inch raise and big tyres and few mods and take that off road, would be mental
Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 AM

3.4 will have more torque than a supra engine. Next time you cross deep water, just make sure to have a snorkel!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 AM

how do i go about getting this 3.4 ??? and is this the best way to go or is there something better ?- sorry to ask so many questions, i wanna have a strong 4runner that goes hard and doesnt ˟˟˟˟ up again...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:30 AM

done a little bit of research what about a 4.7L V8 engine i heard they fit the 4runners out of a 01 or 02 model... anyone know ? if you say they better then supra engine...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:30 AM

i.e. http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-TOYOTA...sories&vxp=mtr
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM

7MGE swap ?

Quick Reply: 1990 4Runner 3.0L 4X4 WON'T CRANK!