86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1987 4Runner Rebuild/Resto

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 4Runner Rebuild/Resto

Hey all. I'm rebuilding my 87 4runner SR5 22RE, the first ever vehicle I owned. I live in the country, so I've just bagged the ˟˟˟˟ out of it constantly, for years and years, and finally, last summer, she failed me. Tranny is shot, and I need a bit of bodywork (collision wise, not rust wise), but pretty much most every part is being replaced; I'm doing things right this time. I've had to suck it up and buy a lot of dealer parts, but oh well. I', having difficulties on some obscure areas of the rebuild, so my project presents a potential "guide" for any others trying to rebuild/replace. I really am not totally down with the whole picture posting thing as of now (I live in the country, where I'm limited to 200 mb of internet per day, and I need to find the charger to my camera), but if you guys could wait a bit, I could post them later on at a buddies house or somethin. Also, I get way too focused when I work, and often do great chunks of projects without taking any pictures (I've tried these things before), but I suppose I can make a conscious effort to try and fully document.

Would anybody be interested in a write up? I'm replacing a lot of brake parts, transmission, clutch, entire steering, brake lines all around, lspv service, master cyl service, minor engine "refresh", collision repair (cavement fabricatrion, producing professional results), interior, exhuast, fuel system, and a body lift for now. IT may be a bit before it's done, I'm just trying to gauge reaction to see if it's worth my time. Not to sound rude, but the rest of the habitants in the house work lots, leaving me doing everything alone, so I'm much quicker not being part papparazi, but I love you guys, so I'd take one for the team.

I also have a twin turbo smallblock 67 Impala project on the go, but I've finally realized (after making a 40 grand parts list), thatr I need to hit the rigs next winter, and that I should focus my efforts on the 4Runna! I'm currentl;y driving a auto v6 92 pickup (eats balls), so the 4r is up in the air in my garage, well underway restoration. My whole goal of this project is to overcome whatever obstacles, fabricate whatever part necessary, to finish off the dream I had when I was 15. I may not be that old (I'm turning 21), but I can hold my own when it comes to mechanics and design.

I have a replacement trans off kijiji, which I'm going to swap tcase's with my blown trans, and send my blown trans off to SAIT (kinda like those schools you see on all the hot rod tv and trucks tv commercials on sunday morning on speed) to get rebuilt, and hopefully beefed up to handle more power. stage two (a couple months after I get this monster of a project back on the road), involves pulling my decent running (lacklustre power) 22, and replacing it with a 7MGTE, and the freshly rebuilt aforementioned transmission I was going to have rebuilt at SAIT.

Stage three, involves a SAS, and 4" or 5" lift from TG or someone. And 35's. The reason why I went with an engine swap, as opposed to just rebuildin the 22, is I do not wish to regear, leaving my 22 useless. Built up supra power, though, is a whole different ballpark. Plus, you for sure know I'm putting on a ridicuosly loud blow off valve, and balance/blueprint, with a turbo blueprint to map, if I feel like going that deep.

You can tell I have a thing for forced induction

Thank you for reading my life story of a post, comment, questions, concerns, all welcome.

Ps, I sold my turntables and a couple guitars, so I have about $900 ish in parts in the garage, waiting. Some installed, others not!

Cheers,

Jake
Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
got any more guitars to sell? just kidding.. looking forward to the pictures. i always want to take pictures, but my hands get dirty and since my phone is my camera it never happens. also be sure to show us the twin turbo impala
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM

Perhaps, but I'm not done painting it yet Jackson Dinky! The Impaler is sitting in flat black, rattle can painted form, with a blown engine in storage, waiting until I can go up north and make some skrilla!

I don't want to just write another rebuild writeup that someones done 400 times; I won't waste my time, but if there is actually sufficient desire to have a new rebuild, then I will try to pull it off Just trying to gauge reaction, y'know!

I wanna cut the frame off at the firewall (in the 67), and fabricate it from there forward, to accommodate a very highly "creatively designed" awd setup (perhpaps the independant rear axles outta a Z06?). years and years in the future, of course. Any think tanks out there wanna envision a possible solution to this puzzle? I figure, if I could put twin 78mm turbos on a ramjet direct port injected smallblock, and put the power to all 4 wheels: mass mayhem on wheels. but, that's all just a "pipe dream" so far

Jake
Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Welcome. How long have you owned your Runner? I'm always up for more build threads. If you have any pictures to upload open a free photobucket account. (I know it's been said a million times.)
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Good luck with your project

I can see these build threads if your doing something really different.

Do what you will.

I am working on getting all the goodies for the 7MGTE swap myself if I don`t get distracted by something more interesting or important.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello The Dean.. I would suggest doing a build thread for yourself. You can always go back a see when you did it and get help from others. I got one for myself and when I look at the overall project, basically it looks like I just got the headwork done and painted. Gives motivation to keep going. There is alot more then that.

You will have others chime in and give some good info on fixes and parts. I follow the restores and mild modifacations.

I would say just do one for your self. Good way to make notes and go back to a different project. Doing a restore myself, when funds are low, there is always something that can be done for little to no cost. One reason my thread jumped around so much, instead of getting hung up on one big thing, there were hundreds of small things that added up.

If you do go with this thread I will subscribe. I am doing an 88, and maybe I could be of some help.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:00 AM

Nervo, I've had her since I was 14 or 15, and I live out in the country, so I grew up learning to wheel her! I don't actually know what photobucket is, besides a bucket of photos. I am far too busy with my life to go on the internet, much often.

wyoming, what are you swapping the 7M into? I've heard that guys with IFS have clearance issues, so if mine does, I'm just going to nix the axle and whatever IFS I can, then a few months later SAS her; cuz you need your 4x4!

Terrys87, That's really good advice, I think I will find my camera charger and totally try it! I like your build progress so far!