Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is a 1 inch body lift worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is a 1 inch body lift worth it?

i was lookin on 4crawlers site and i think the price of a 1 inch body lift for my 95 4runner AT is around 40 bucks plus shipping or somethin like that, kinda got lost readin the chart. well i want a little bit of lift but not enough to make my new 31s look too little and i dont wanna mess around within the transfer case brackets and such required for a higher lift. so my question is, is it worth the work for a 1 inch body lift or is it really not even worth the effort. and could someone tell me the price for that lift for my vehicle.
thanks
-Kyle
Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1" BL Pics

I just put a 1" 4crawler BL on last night, and to be honest it was a lot easier than I expected. Honestly, the worst part was getting the valance off the bumper and then back on at the end. As far as the price goes... mine was $125 to my door. That was with Heavy Duty Hardware, the lift blocks, custom color, front bumper brackets, printed installation notes and Insured shipping.

The bumper brackets took some repositioning to get it back to stock look, but the truck was in a fender-bender before i bought it and i think most of it was due to that.

Here's some pics of the difference:

Stock with 31x10.5's

After BL with 31x10.5's

Not the best pics to compare, sorry. The "After" image is rotated a bit to counter the slope of the driveway, but you get the point. Notice, theres also some Aisin's on in the after pic .

Last edited by Exeter; 05-24-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

ur 4runner looks really nice. so i guess the extra price is for ur custom color, insured shippin, and bumper brackets. do you have any problems wit ur 4wd or anything after puttin ur lift on?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

4wd

No problems with 4wd as of 22 hours after finishing. Took it out on a little trail on my grandma's land, and it all works fine. I have noticed a little squeak from the engine bay, not at all sure if it came from the lift. I'll keep you updated if i find anyting out.

Roger is a great guy and had it shipped out almost immeadeatly. Very highly recomended!!

Here's the pricing break-down right off of my reciept.

$48 for the blocks
$10 for coloring
$40 for heavy duty hardware
$10 for front bumper brackets
$02 for install notes
$15 for insured shipping

Last edited by Exeter; 05-24-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

thanks man, i appreciate all the info. hopefully ill be orderin my soon and ill make sure to post pics when its done. one more thing, do you notice really that much of a difference with the 1 inch lift?
-KYle
Old 05-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

difference?

I have the running boards off my rig, but i'm 6'4" so getting in wasn't a problem before and just slightly notice the extra effort to lift my leg that 1" higher . When i'm driving i FEEL higher, but nothing extreme.

Edit: The main reason i did it was so i can get some 33's under this beast. It's somewhere on the 4Crawler site as to how this helps that if you don't understand.

Double Edit:
Quoted from the 4crawler site:

"One way to look at that, is that using a 2" taller tire (say going from 31" to 33") will raise your vehicle 1", granted all points of the vehicle will go up 1", including the body, but an inch is an inch. From a simple-minded perspective, using a 2" taller tire, will require 1" additional wheel well clearance (may need more) and a 1" body lift can provide that 1""

Last edited by Exeter; 05-24-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:23 PM

If you are running 31's like me I have the Roger Brown 1" body lift on my truck.I like it a lot and it looks just right for me.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it worth it, yes. I think a 1" BL is great, but I did have to mod the AT transfer case shifting linkage bracket a little to get it shifting right. I used some 1/2 inch spacers to drop it down a little. To get the spacers angled right you will need to tweek the sheet metal a little where it bolts on to the bottom of the cab.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-25-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:29 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm considering the 1" BL from 4Crawler as well. I would probably also buy the poly bushings, even though they're expensive, because the factory ones are cracked and nasty. Has anyone used these new bushing and did you like them?

So with a 1" BL, supposedly the steering linkage is not affected. Is this true? I mean, does the 1" actually conversely affect it but just not enough to NEED an adjustment or extender?

Sweet looking truck, Blackulua! And a beautiful setting as well.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:10 AM

if the back of your runner sags like most do it might be better to put on some new coil springs instead. that way you level out. i got downey HD springs and they are good for the most part. ive seen the OME 901s and they seem to give you a lil more lift. that might be a better options instead of a body lift

Last edited by curly_c; 05-25-2006 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:12 AM

I have considered it, over and over.... I have an ARB Bumper and that can be relocated, so a bigger gap. I already fit 35's w/out one, but migt be able to get a little more compression with smaller bump stops....but in the end I think I'll just wait for a SAS and not worry about a BL, since I would pull it with a SAS anyhow.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RustBucket
So with a 1" BL, supposedly the steering linkage is not affected. Is this true? I mean, does the 1" actually conversely affect it but just not enough to NEED an adjustment or extender?
My rag joint was a little wavy, but I was able lengthen my steering shaft enough to get most of it out by loosening up the bolts in the couplings of the shaft and sliding them apart as far as they would go. I think the joint up under the dash has the most room for extension IIRC.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

mt. goat, did you HAVE to modify the transfer case linkage or was it somethin just botherin you and u just felt like doin it?

price for a 1 inch body lift plus shipping is 83 bucks just to let yall know.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
So you're saying the 1" lift did conversely affect your steering?

By the way, I have AAL's in the back and slightly cranked t-bars, so I'm a little higher up already and leveled out.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Pucks are the same, bolts are a bit longer, but would have to be SAE instead of metric only difference. I've never messed with a 2nd gen, but on a 1" body lift, that is the only difference that I know of...bolts are a tad longer and since metric don't come that long...gotta use standard ones. If you are interested, shoot me an email and we'll talk. Should be about the same price, just depends on the bolt lengths.

Old 05-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

email sent
Old 05-25-2006, 07:32 PM

1"lift

just installed Downey HD coils for the rear of my previously saggy ass 934rnr
wow, what a differenc not only in looks but also in handling also have Rancho 9000's on there as well
I highly recommend Downey HD coils before you shoot for a 1" lift
Old 05-26-2006, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RednekYank
mt. goat, did you HAVE to modify the transfer case linkage or was it somethin just botherin you and u just felt like doin it?

price for a 1 inch body lift plus shipping is 83 bucks just to let yall know.
Yeah i pretty much had to do it. The TC wasn't shifting right and I could see the linkage was maxed out. It wasn't hard to drop it down a little. I don't know there may have been a different way to do it.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RustBucket
So you're saying the 1" lift did conversely affect your steering?
No, it was unnoticeable while driving. But I was told the rag joint shouldn't have any wavyness to it, so I was concerned enough to do some tinkering with it. I was just worried it would wear out faster or something.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I was able lengthen my steering shaft enough to get most of it out by loosening up the bolts in the couplings of the shaft and sliding them apart as far as they would go. I think the joint up under the dash has the most room for extension IIRC.
Yep, there's quite a bit of extra shaft to extend the coupling under the dash. Check your firewall seal when you're doing this. It's good time to eliminate the draft and noise coming through.

I did a 1" BL to make room for headers. The by products of the lift so far are more space to weld on the rock sliders and the ability to do a 1" drive train lift using a BudBuilt crossmember for more clearance and a bomber skidplate. The drive train lift also brings the shift levers back up closer to their original position too.

I used the poly bushings as well and definitely vouch for 'em.

I'd do the 1" BL again in a hearbeat. No regrets.

Quick Reply: Is a 1 inch body lift worth it?