84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Weber 32/36 dgev, idling/ driving issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weber 32/36 dgev, idling/ driving issues

Well first off ive got an 85 pickup 22r that i just installed a weber 32/36 on. ive been trying to tune it and just cant get it right, i think today though i discovered the choke is not acting as it should. the lowest i can get it to idle is at 1100rpm warm or cold. when its cold it barely wants to run at all.. i have a regulator and have checked extensively for vacuum leaks, none turned up. and when i go to drive it, i have to rev it up to almost 2 grand just to engage the clutch, and while im driving it spits and sputters like crazy, but yet i can notice a good difference in power (between the sputters lol). does it sound like it needs more tuning or is there a timing issue or.. idk im at my witts end. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks, jared
Old 12-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know, I never did specifically find my vacuum leak with the spacer in the Weber kit, but that's where it was. After trying the LCE 2 piece spacer, I was able to get a much more consistent tune. That being said, it's free to try and adjust your choke or check to see if it's not disengaging like it's s'posed to. Sounds like one of those 2 things to me.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Ive got the lce 2pc adapter too. I put a voltmeter on the wire to the electric choke, and its getting the power it needs when the key is on.. but the choke isnt pulling off like it should, it just kinda does what the airflow does, when i push it choked though, my truck runs ten times better, but it doesnt stay closed, im debating just doing away with the electric coil and just putting a manual choke cable on it. but im thinking that isnt my only problem. thanks for the response though
Old 12-18-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I can tell you that the choke plate at the top of my carb doesn't fully open when the choke is off, but the idle does settle down. Not sure what else to look for except maybe sticking throttle linkage or a vacuum leak you just haven't found. Doesn't sound likely to be vacuum, though. Double check your timing and general ignition system health. Weber's are a little more finicky if everything else isn't pretty much perfect. When was the last time you checked out your timing chain and such?
Old 12-26-2011, 12:39 PM

im planning on checking my timing here soon when i get a chance. ive owned the truck almost two years now and ever since i bought it, it has idled real rough with the factory carb. then here recently the truck start bucking just on the freeway, then it progressed to doing it during any acceleration. so i got the weber thinking the old carb was bad, but now ive run into this snag of trying to get it running. i have removed all emissions except the fuel evap and vac advance. everythings tight and sealed up from what i can tell. im guessing the chain jumped a tooth or something along those lines, thank you for responding. ill let you know if i figure something out with it