84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

something new to do with a second gen truck(i think)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something new to do with a second gen truck(i think)

Okay, so a few months back i bought a long bed 1986 automatic 4x4, and shortly after i picked up a 1984 shortbed manual 4x4. I was going to rebuild, lock, and regear the 84 for a trail rig, but i had another idea after watching a video of a guy who first swapped a 2jz and then a 1uz into his 2wd 94 pickup. This truck was sweet. I wanna do something similar, but all wheel drive. Im pretty sure i cant make big power and send it through a transfer case and deliver the kind of acceleration or handling i want. Has anybody seen what im thinking of? A lowered second generation all wheel drive yota that drives like a subaru? Lol, the more i think about it the more i want to try to build it. Thoughts? Solutions? Problems?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
cool idea. there are lots of lowered toyotas to be found, but i don't think i've come across one with AWD in any of my poking around on the internet.

one big challenge to the functionality of your concept is getting the IFS 4wd to be low enough to the ground to be practical for the type of use you're talking about - especially if you need a body lift to fit a 1uz under the hood, which i think most include. go look at most AWD cars, the front suspension system and engine layout fits like a glove to be able to pull it off and keep it low to the ground - IFS 4wd pickup is kinda the opposite.

in regards to solving the AWD, I'd personally look into a Toyota full-time 4wd system as opposed to using the stock t-case. They're in vehicles like land cruiser wagons and a couple of the newer vehicles like v8 4runner and i think the FJC has it too - all of these had much more power going through them.

in the end, it may be cheaper and easier to overcome the challenges of adapting the toyota body onto some other platform.

good luck though and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highonpottery
cool idea. there are lots of lowered toyotas to be found, but i don't think i've come across one with AWD in any of my poking around on the internet.

one big challenge to the functionality of your concept is getting the IFS 4wd to be low enough to the ground to be practical for the type of use you're talking about - especially if you need a body lift to fit a 1uz under the hood, which i think most include. go look at most AWD cars, the front suspension system and engine layout fits like a glove to be able to pull it off and keep it low to the ground - IFS 4wd pickup is kinda the opposite.

in regards to solving the AWD, I'd personally look into a Toyota full-time 4wd system as opposed to using the stock t-case. They're in vehicles like land cruiser wagons and a couple of the newer vehicles like v8 4runner and i think the FJC has it too - all of these had much more power going through them.

in the end, it may be cheaper and easier to overcome the challenges of adapting the toyota body onto some other platform.

good luck though and let us know how it goes!
Yeah dollar signs are adding up fast lol, i think with three 4x4 toyotas i need to just find somebody with a quick rear wheel drive coup who is expecting a baby and trade him my 93 4runner lol