84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

New 1985 Toyota Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 1985 Toyota Pickup

Well, there wasn't much action over in the newbie section, so I thought that I would try it over here. Anyways, I just recently pickup up this 1985 Pickup 2wd for $2300 (How did I do?). It says sr5, but the vin shows that it's a deluxe, so I'm not sure what's up with that. The guy I bought it from said that his dad had bought it in 1996 with 112,000 miles, then drove it around town up until about three years ago. It now has 148,000 miles, but is kind of running rough and dying at when off of the throttle (hopefully just bad gas). The interior looks pretty good, but it definitely needs a new stereo and door handles.

So far I have changed the spark plugs and air filter, but plan to do the spark plug wires, distributor cap, oil and filter change, valve cover gasket, fuel filter, and anything else that I can think of. Also the bed has a couple of rusted out spots in the floor, and the seams are starting to separate, so I'll need to do something with that.

Just thought that I would get your guys's opinions and do an ultra mini progress/build thread. Thanks! Oh, the truck is my avatar, but I'll try to get some more pictures posted.

Last edited by JunkFanatic; 11-14-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Yes, more pics please, only then will you get the true opinion you look for....

Not really but pics are great
Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM

Ha, I'm trying.... Darn high mega-pixel camera and no editing software \

Okay, I think I got it.
Attached Thumbnails New 1985 Toyota Pickup-engine-bay.jpg   New 1985 Toyota Pickup-truck-interior.jpg  

Last edited by JunkFanatic; 11-14-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Well, I'm having some new problems. It started right up and idled well while it was in the driveway, but when I backed it into the street to park it on the curb it kept stalling and then refused to start. I eventually got it to run enough to get it back into the driveway. I'm hoping this is just because he said that it hadn't been driven much in the past 3 years, and it had a full tank of gas. I still plan to do the cap and wires, and anything else, but I have also noticed a grinding sound coming from what seems to be the transmission. It happens in neutral, both with the clutch depressed and released, so I'm not really sure what that is. I'm still trying to do some DIY diagnostics, but I not that sure of what I'm doing.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 PM

Bump for you.. Can't tell you what's possibly gimping your truck, but hopefully someone else can. Interior is clean!!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Duke
Bump for you.. Can't tell you what's possibly gimping your truck, but hopefully someone else can. Interior is clean!!
Thanks!The interior looks kind of torn apart in that picture, I was taking out the lock cylinder in the door to get a new key made. I think that once we get it insured we are gonna take it to a shop to get one of those "new car" inspections and just see what's up. I'll probably get the cat converter replaced at the same time because there was some shoddy work in trying to get a leak fixed, and there is exhaust just pouring out.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Step one. Take that jank arse factory carb off and out a Weber 32/36 on it. Will more than likely solve most of your issues. The factory carb is a cranky miserable little carb that is finiky and a pain in the butt to rebuild.

Lets see more pictures too.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Step one. Take that jank arse factory carb off and out a Weber 32/36 on it. Will more than likely solve most of your issues. The factory carb is a cranky miserable little carb that is finiky and a pain in the butt to rebuild.

Lets see more pictures too.
I've heard some mixed things about switching to the Weber, but I'll look into it. I'll try to get some more pictures soon.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:23 AM

Nothing mixed about it. I have a factory aisin carb. I rebuilt it with my own 2 hands. (pics in trekker thread) Its an over complicated pile of crap. The design itself seems to collect dirt. They never stay in tune long. The electric choke is a nightmare of linkages that only a swiss watchmaker can truely understand.

Weber is much more simple. Less parts. Easier to jet. Cleaner. More effiecient.
Looks really good. Cheaper than a new aisin. Makes more power. Really cleans up enginebay.

It is really a no brainer.

On my very short list of things to do to my trekker. Even after rebuild, my choke is a turd. I need a decent carb to finish my driveline assesment.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 AM

Have you changed out your fuel filter? Cheap and easy and often overlooked, it cured what I thought were my "crappy" Aisin carb issues.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rusto
Have you changed out your fuel filter? Cheap and easy and often overlooked, it cured what I thought were my "crappy" Aisin carb issues.
No, but I'm planning on doing it. Is it in the engine bay or near the tank?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:56 AM

Near the tank, mounted on the passenger side of the frame. Take about 10 minutes, tops. Can be picked up at NAPA, Autozone, etc for less that $10
Old 11-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rusto
Near the tank, mounted on the passenger side of the frame. Take about 10 minutes, tops. Can be picked up at NAPA, Autozone, etc for less that $10
Hey, I found it, thanks. I'll be changing that soon. So, does anyone have any tricks to try and keep the rust from spreading? I plan on using an angle grinder to take the rust down to the metal, or at least just make it a flat surface, and then use some of that rust paint stuff on it. Is there any better way?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM

K you have reached your maximum amount of replies without more pics............

Old 11-18-2013, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by JunkFanatic
Hey, I found it, thanks. I'll be changing that soon. So, does anyone have any tricks to try and keep the rust from spreading? I plan on using an angle grinder to take the rust down to the metal, or at least just make it a flat surface, and then use some of that rust paint stuff on it. Is there any better way?

Clean as much rust as you can manually.
Spray on metal ready
primer or por15
Paint.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
K you have reached your maximum amount of replies without more pics............

Ha, sorry about that. I was out of town for the weekend, but I'll get some more posted tomorrow after school. Are you looking for any pictures in particular? I was thinking maybe some of the frame, bed, and maybe some interior pics.

And thanks HighLux, hopefully I can get to work on it this weekend, after I get this engine running well.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM

Whatever you want, more is always better
Old 11-18-2013, 07:23 PM

I've heard some mixed things about switching to the Weber, but I'll look into it. I'll try to get some more pictures soon.
I have a question as well, I do not know how to post a question on this forum. Can someone direct me to do so? Thank you very much.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 PM

Well, I'm having some new problems. It started right up and idled well while it was in the driveway, but when I backed it into the street to park it on the curb it kept stalling and then refused to start. I eventually got it to run enough to get it back into the driveway. I'm hoping this is just because he said that it hadn't been driven much in the past 3 years, and it had a full tank of gas. I still plan to do the cap and wires, and anything else, but I have also noticed a grinding sound coming from what seems to be the transmission. It happens in neutral, both with the clutch depressed and released, so I'm not really sure what that is. I'm still trying to do some DIY diagnostics, but I not that sure of what I'm doing.
Does the grinding happen at idle? Or while moving forward or backward? Mine did some grinding what I thought was the transmission as well, turns out my rear end had some chunks taken out of the ring gear.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Whatever you want, more is always better
Ok here we go. Decided to add them to flickr since I can't get too many loaded up here. I did add a description to most of them, so....yeah. I'll try to get some better pics soon, but I had to work after school and of course it was dark by the time I got home.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/109250620@N03/
I was also wondering about the timing chain. Well, the PO said that he recently replaced the chain with one he had laying around, because he knew that it was a weak point, but he didn't say anything about the guides. Would it be worth it to replace all that stuff when I dig in there to replace the valve cover gasket, or do I have some time? Also, what is the "chattering" supposed to sound like, like how loud is it? Thanks.

Quick Reply: New 1985 Toyota Pickup