84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My First 4Runner!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My First 4Runner! PICS POSTED

Hey everyone, just picked up my first 4Runner. Here she is.

Cream exterior w/ white top
Fresh tranny - W56
Marlin Dual t-cases w/ 4.70 and twin sticks
Front axle-85' w/ full gussets, 5.29 w/ lockright locker, vented rotors, V6 calipers, fully rebuilt
Rear axle, full fab rear housing, V6 disc brake conversion,
5.29's w/ lockright and blisten shocks
Custom fab. cross member and full highsteer w/ billet arms and flat pitman arm
New rear drive line and long slip front driveline
I also have a 1/4" wall rear drive line for trail use.
Rino lined interior from fire wall to tail gate (it's pretty beat up and I'll have a couple of questions on how to remove/reapply a spray on or roll on liner.
Front axle moved forward 3.5" and rear axle moved back 6"
Custom front bumper w/ Warn winch
Roll cage (custom fab, one of the best looking ones I've seen and very well engineered)
91' 22 RE EFI motor, 107,000 on motor
Hooker Header, 2 1/4" exhaust
AC (works), PS, tilt wheel
NEW 35" Interco TRXUS MT on 15x10 steel wheels
suspension is set to accept up to a 39.5" tire
Steel braided break lines

So yeah, I'll have pictures on soon and I'll have questions and pictures as I go on stripping out the interior, some minor exterior stuff, etc. etc.

Last edited by Johannes; 11-06-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added Pics
Old 11-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Is it this one from craigslist?: http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/868403285.html

looks to be set up pretty good. Kind of curious about the rear axle being moved back. With the cut of the rear fenders it looks like it still has the notorious 4Runner saggy butt syndrome. It is rear leaf springs or been converted to Coil overs?

Congrats! a lot of the stuff it has it what I have bought and or plan on getting for my Trekker your package is cheaper than what I will end up paying...

Removing the Rhino Lining if it is real Rhino Lining it going to be a chore. If it is like Herculiner, should be able to get it off with some elbow grease (putty knife...)
Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 PM

Yup that's the one!

I only paid 6K for it though, there are plenty of talking points to get the price down.

Yeah, that's kind of why I picked it up, it's (from the frame down) brand new and runs like a champ.

It's not real rhino lining, it's already flaking off underneath the pedals, I'm pretty sure it'll just take some elbow grease.

So far I've already been to the junk yard to get some new back seats (the ones in it are gross), but I'm really looking for a new center console to fit around the twin-sticks and center dash panel (where the radio is). When it underwent the auto to manual transmission transformation they cut the dash up pretty bad and a lot of radio and dash wires are left vulnerable to a rouge tool, foot, and they just look bad.

Oh and hey, if anyone knows anywhere close to Corvallis to find some moderate trails to drive on, it'd be great, I'm itching to turn on the 4wheel drive. I'm so far away from Mt. Hood or the coast...

Last edited by Johannes; 11-04-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Fossilized
Staff

there should be some good winter wheeling up towards Detroit Lake (hwy 22)if memory serves me, been a long time though.

Here is what Scotty C (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...dex3.html)came up with for the twin stick:
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Duals and R151 Turbo tranny are in now. I managed to use a few center console parts from a 90' 4runner to get this done along with re-using the intermediate console section from my stock setup. I used the front shifter boot setup, and a rear heater center console from the 90' V6/5spd 4runner. I was able to retain the rear heater, and the twin sticks really help with not have to deal with moving the factory rear window switches and wiper as well.

I modified the 90' V6 shifter slightly to work, and then used a forward shift shifter base with the 88' stick on the front Tcase. The original forward shift shift was hitting the dash/stereo.

IMO, this turned out much better than I thought it would. It actually was a pretty clean install considering the mutt of parts used to do this.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:42 PM

Awesome idea, thanks for the input, I'll have pics up tomorrow, battery in camera was dead today!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Pics Posted.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM

NOT BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LEt me know how you like those tires! i have some, and i love them, they wear quick for DD, but worth every penny off road soo far.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:13 PM

They're going to see a lot of life in the snow, I'll let you know how they do as soon as it starts falling on Mt. Hood.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Wholly Crap, I think you have got one of Sky's prototype rear housing (heard rumors of it) because I don't think that rear end is a Diamond or a SpiderTrax. Interesting..

You are right about the interior, it needs help. You gonna eat the Cherrio?

thing has been used. I would pull out that winch cable, examine it closely (wear thick leather gloves watching for frays etc) and respool it properly..
Old 11-05-2008, 11:49 PM

I know, I'm so stoked about getting that. It's nearly indestructible.

Here's a view of the back of the interior, I just got new seats today from the junk yard and shampooed the hell out of them. They look brand new, from the factory, just too bad they're gray, oh well. Oh and I got a clam shell column for the steering column, it's also gray but easy enough to paint.

I'll take some more pictures tomorrow after I get out of class but, when I removed the rear seats there was water all over the hump. That's from where they trimmed the rear fenders and cut into the wheel well, left it open and didn't cap it, so the water flys up from the cubbys where the jack is held and rolls down the herculiner and onto the hump.

Whoever herculined the rig did a terrible job because he covered up all of the drain plugs rather than removing them before applying the stuff. Now I have to cut through all of that to get through the drain plugs and spray out the entire rig. I'll have pics of that tomorrow when I tear out the front seats just for that, and I'll have some pics for the spare tire mount in the back, as well as the sweet roll cage, and the hi-lift jack mount.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 AM

So first big job was getting the interior cleaned out, and the picture below is going to show you all what caused the mess in the first place in the back seat hump.

You can see through the slits in that panel that the wheel well hasn't been capped where trimmed and water has been getting in through there.

Here's the roll cage, it's going to look sooo sweet when the top is off.

So when I bought the truck, there was sand EVERYWHERE. So
with the herculiner down in most places, I just used a hose, worked great. Pictures can tell you the rest.

And after the wash

Last edited by Johannes; 11-06-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
daaamn.. dual cases, sfa, lockers, and an ammo box center console! that things built! hope you know how to drive it
Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Congrats, is this your first Toyota truck? If so, great choice!

Edit...looks like you have a 3rd Gen. P/U also.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I love yours, one of the best looking on here. I had a 1995 toyota pickup, 4x4, it was my first truck and I had no idea how sweet it was.

Just put the back seats in (they're comfy and smell wayyyy better than the old ones), and the front seats with a clean interior. It not longer smells like I'm at a beach when I drive, all the sand is out.

Last edited by Johannes; 11-06-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by algranger
daaamn.. dual cases, sfa, lockers, and an ammo box center console! that things built! hope you know how to drive it
I'm no pro, but I've pulled my fair share of hillbillys in their tall fords and chevy's out of ditches, and (I'll brag here), in the snow, I could out drive a lot of people.

Originally Posted by 904_runner
NOT BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LEt me know how you like those tires! i have some, and i love them, they wear quick for DD, but worth every penny off road soo far.
They're pretty awesome. Yeah, they wear really fast as a DD but dannnnnnnnnnnnnnnng in the snow they're freaking sweeeeeeeeeet!

I've never used chains and with these tires I never will. I had better traction at high and low speeds going over super bumpy hardpack and six inch ruts on the interstate than people with chains. I'm never going to run another tire on the snow. Hell, I think the next pair I get I'll sipe 'em up a a little bit more.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Johannes

Oh and hey, if anyone knows anywhere close to Corvallis to find some moderate trails to drive on, it'd be great, I'm itching to turn on the 4wheel drive. I'm so far away from Mt. Hood or the coast...
Go up woods creek outta philomath. then take the road that turns into shot pouch road, couple nice hill climbs out there and lots of road to play on. Thats where I play quite a bit.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by airmen65
Go up woods creek outta philomath. then take the road that turns into shot pouch road, couple nice hill climbs out there and lots of road to play on. Thats where I play quite a bit.
Yeah I've been up there once for a Search and Rescue exercise, I heard that there's a locomotive up there somewhere just rusting away. I'll head up there next time, Mary's Peak is just too far.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:45 PM

huh, train, never heard that one. yeah I like goin up there cause it links to all kinds of other roads. Even a road system that takes you all the way to elk city and near toledo all by loggin roads.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Hmm...well next time you're heading out for some grand adventure send me a PM, I might just have to tag along.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:51 PM

heck yes. sounds good, i wont be back in that area till early jan when school comes back.

Quick Reply: My First 4Runner!