84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My First 4Runner!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No worries, I'll be here the whole break...stupid work.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Nice rig, You'll definately enjoy it. Your going to want another CB ant that setup gets old quick on trails with branches, the base of mine finally broke.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:37 AM

yeah i dont know that feelin. lol. i was supposed to work all of last week, but because of the snow and bureaucratics of working for the collage forest we got shut down. .
Old 12-25-2008, 03:47 PM

good find and the price sounds really reasonable
Old 12-25-2008, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice truck! We need to see it on some dirt and rocks
Old 12-29-2008, 02:40 AM

.......I only paid 6K for it though, there are plenty of talking points to get the price down...........

Hey i was curious about some of the talking points you were talking about when buying a car. I'm looking at this one right now........ http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ctd/970771523.html

Thanks
Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 AM

First of all, he's asking about 5-7K too much, depending upon where you're from.

The truck is pretty awesome, but really the most important parts of a truck are the drivetrain, engine, and body. If it has a solid drivetrain (gears, transmission, clutch, transfer case/dual transfer case), and a good engine, with a solid body, then everything else is just extra. Without the extra stuff, the truck is probably worth no more than 5K, so he's asking you to pay for 8K worth of FLUFF (off-road fluff, but fluff none the less).

I'd take a peek under the carpet, it doesn't look like it's in the best shape and look for rust along the floor of the body. If there's ANY rust on the body floor, anywhere, you're going to want to look at the exterior very closely, there may be holes where water may be leaking in OR that a driver of the vehicle drove it into the water and didn't take care of it. In any case, if there's ANY rust, ask for 1,000 off the price because you'll have to repair that.

Also, I'd ask about the engine. He says it's been driven, it's not a brand new engine, or a probably not a professionally rebuilt engine either, so that's something that you can ask about. Just be aware, 250K miles and above, for a Toyota engine (the 22RE at least) is considered normal mileage, anything below that and it's low mileage. If he's swapped the 3.0L V6, laugh in his face and tell him you'd pay 8K for it at most cause you'll end up doing an engine swap (or be nice, that'd probably go over better).

Then find everything that you can find that's wrong with it, compile a list of what it would cost to fix it (even if you never intend on doing so) and subtract that from his asking price.

HE WILL SAY NO TO YOUR OFFER the first time, no doubt.

That truck is going to sit at that price for a long time, eventually, if you've charmed him/her enough and talked like you know what you're talking about, they'll eventually give in and you'll take it home.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:59 PM

x2 to what Johannes said he got it spot on!! thats WAY too much money.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Thanks! Hey I went up Woods Creek Rd, all the way out to some tree farm, it's real pretty up there but there's not a whole lot of off road driving that I saw, maybe if the gravel roads got in real bad shape...
Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Johannes
Thanks! Hey I went up Woods Creek Rd, all the way out to some tree farm, it's real pretty up there but there's not a whole lot of off road driving that I saw, maybe if the gravel roads got in real bad shape...
yeah theres not a WHOLE lot on woods creek. the only place thats any good is the road from woods creek to shot pouch. its maybe half way along woods creek. if you go in on the start right after philomath you go along, go past the hikers parking area and enter TTT timber (they have a sign thats shot up. couple little mud holes then you go through 2 clear cuts i think then its a road that goes up and to the left (its a triangle intersection) then a ways down that road keep and eye out for a hill climb on the right in a tight bend, (the road gets really muddy). then right after that hang the left and theres some nice ruts that if dug out would be a good mud run . i exaggerated a bit but its just a fun place to play.
forgive me if the directions aint too clear.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 AM

So, went up Woods Creek for a ways, found it to be pretty damn fun (plus it's easy to find places to go shooting up there too). Man, you can just keep going and going. The hill climbs I found were a bit muddy, but overall, it's pretty sweet. Kind of wish I could find a map for those roads though, it'd be easy to make a day trip become one in which I wish I had brought a couple of jerry cans...
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM

yeah that is what i like about that area, it goes forever and all loops into each other. One can easily spend all day up there shooting, playing and just BSing around.

Me and my buddy bought maps for the area out the Alsea highway from the BLM (or maybe forest service) office at the beginning of that highway just outta philomath (take a left at the Y). Haven't used the map much but its not a bad resource to have, try there for a map, they should have a good selection.

edit: PS: Johannes, i will send you a PM the next time i hear about a wheelin trip my buddy plans. I also am planning on going to a couple meetings of the local 4 by club, just need to find out when they are. lol. more than happy to pass the info on to you if your interested in joining.

Last edited by airmen65; 01-12-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Absolutely, the more I can get involved, the better. It beats the hell out of going out by myself and getting stuck, then hungry, cold, and/or dead.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM

lol. agreed x4. Dont even start complinaing about getting stuck though, you have a winch! lol,
Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM

Lol, oh I do have a winch, I just don't have the winch remote, so right now, it's about 100lbs of uselessness and just hurting my gas mileage...and lets face it, if you go into some of those ditches up there with your nose in the muck...yeah a winch without its remote is like a paperweight for your bumper.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM

lol. true, true. That remote cant be too much though. thats what passengers are for, make them ride on the hood and operate the lever! lol
Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM

I'm actually thinking about routing the remote into the dash when I take the dash off to clean out the heater core/possibly replace the heater core.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 AM

Dude that would be freaking sweet.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Johannes
So first big job was getting the interior cleaned out, and the picture below is going to show you all what caused the mess in the first place in the back seat hump.

You can see through the slits in that panel that the wheel well hasn't been capped where trimmed and water has been getting in through there.

Here's the roll cage, it's going to look sooo sweet when the top is off.

So when I bought the truck, there was sand EVERYWHERE. So
with the herculiner down in most places, I just used a hose, worked great. Pictures can tell you the rest.

And after the wash

i love this runner it reminds me of home. this thing is sick. thanks for the ideas out back. my 85 runner has the same rugged interior!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Resurection!

Almost an Easter blessing, the truck is back from frame straightening, and I've hung the sheet metal back on.

All it needs is some new axle seals and bushings, for which I'll need some advice in the future, I've heard it's not a fun job.

Quick Reply: My First 4Runner!