84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

In the middle of steering knuckle service and ran into some issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the middle of steering knuckle service and ran into some issues.

As the title says I'm decided to service the seals in the steering knuckle, and axle seal, while I'm waiting for rear axle bearings. Its about time I got it done and I was putting it off for a while just constantly pumping grease and adding diff fluid. Anyways got the hub assembly off and shaft with the birfield joint out yesterday.

I was initially thinking about not servicing the trunnion bearings and leaving knuckle on the axle housing and just replace the seals.

The first thing I was quite surprised to find was that the wheel bearings are shot. Oh well I guess, they wont be hard to replace.

Then I started cleaning the oily grease out of the axle housing/steering knuckle and I noticed that there was significant where (pictures if someone wants it) on the axle housing above the lower trunnion bearing and also near the top. I was under the understanding that the birfield shouldn't be rubbing against the axle housing at all. The birfield seems to be in good condition, its not making any noises when I move it about and everything feels smooth.

I read somewhere else that the trunnion bearings would need to be replaced as a result and I would have to change out the shims to adjust the height of the knuckle in relation to the axle. But this doesn't make any sense to me because it seems worn on the top and the bottom of the axle housing. Also the top seems worse.

What would've caused this wear? Should I be concerned about it?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Post pics.

Ever serviced a SFA before? I bet it's not wear but the way it came.

:wabbit2:
Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM

This is my first sfa. Will post pics once I'm at a computer I can resize them to post on forums.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Well. I've just proved that experience means a lot. According to mechanic friend of mine that's how the steering knuckles came. Looks like it was cut down so the birfields could be installed.

Another lesson learned I guess.

Also found out that the vibration I've been chasing down. The low speed vibration was caused by my tires. I have wrangler MT/Rs and I didn't rotate them frequently enough. He pointed out that the tread blocks will wear heavy on one side, in this case the braking side as they were the fronts. I recently rotated and balanced them so they should get better soon.

On the plus side I did find some bad bearings, and I've needed to replace the seals on the knuckle for quite some time now. Also the spindle bushing was worn. So its not too big of a deal that I did this. In fact the tire vibration has caused me to replace drum brakes too, and a bad axle seal in the rear, and find a bad u-joint.

Today hoping to get all the parts cleaned out and ready for install as soon as I can get some parts.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:36 AM

Any recommendations on where I should get bushings?