84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Locked Axle + "snap" = only 1 wheel getting power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axle shaft sheared off at the bearing.

ill get some more stuff up later.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh.Photo
axle shaft sheared off at the bearing.

ill get some more stuff up later.

I'm surprised, nice work
Old 09-13-2008, 04:19 PM

Wonder why it just snapped.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:20 AM

ok so this was a big pain in the ass but i figured some things out along the way.
sorry i dont have more pictures but i was more concerned with getting this done tha, showing the step by step.

what happened was the axle broke off pretty much right at the clip/bearing.
i got everything out on both sides and went to Allpro to get new shafts, they were suprised at how i broke an 85 axle shaft too.

i got took the new shafts and and everythig else over to toyota to have them press in new bearings and seals and junk. the guys at toyota were confused at even what i wanted them to do. apparently the dealership doesn;t get much of that kind of "bench work"

their tech had a hard time getting the other end of the broken shaft out of the bearings and stuff, i told them to save the broken part for me but they forgot, so i dont have a picture of that, its pretty much just the opposite of what youll see here.

after some thinking about how it could come out looking like this, i noticed a while back, every now and then i would get a little jolt and hear something that i thought was a rock up in the wheelwell. i figured it was me running over the rock in the road and it flying into my wheelwell. now that i think about it, it sounds like it was that axle shaft starting to break/crack. little by little. as time progressed i could feel more and more backlash in the rear when stepping on/off the gas and down shifting gears. . this again makes me think it was that axle shaft just twisting its self apart every time i did that.

in the end, its all fixed, and i learned something, if you notice something different about your truck try and figure that out as soon as possible, i think all the signs were there to tell me something bad was going on but i just failed to notice them.

to everyone the helped and posted stuff up here THANK YOU. it was a big help, you guys are awesome.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:07 AM

quick edit:

that black groove right below the break is the groove where the clip sits to hold the axle and bearing together. . good thing i stopped driving it because the bearing was literally the only thing holding the wheel in place.