84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Locked Axle + "snap" = only 1 wheel getting power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked Axle + "snap" = only 1 wheel getting power?

so my rear axle is always locked. always has been, thats how i got it. today when starting in first gear i heard/felt a large snap/jolt.

truck still drives but it seems like only the rear right wheel is now getting power.
i know i broke SOMETHING. i just dont know what.

any ideas of what it could be or what i should look for before i tear it apart?

any help is appreciated. thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was the diff welded?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:04 PM

im not sure. the guy i got it from said it has det lockers front and back. the fronts have manual hubs but the back has always been locked. i dont know if what he says is true, because a lot of the other stuff he said wasnt, or if it was just welded.

right now it drives so thats ok, i just dont want to keep driving it and have the whole rear end go out and make it worse
Old 09-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Detroit Lockers don't stay locked all the time, the Detroit spool would be. And Detroits are expensive. It was probably welded, that is the spider gears were welded to replicate a spool.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 PM

thats what i was thinking. i prob just broke the welds.

i hate to tear into it and see the damage ive caused but it has to be done.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Post up a picture of what you find. Carnage is always fun.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a shaft to me. Broken welds would make a constant grinding noise in the rear end.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Sounds like a shaft to me. Broken welds would make a constant grinding noise in the rear end.

x2....
Old 09-07-2008, 09:29 PM

if he broke an axle he would see the wheel wobbling severely so i doubt that.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by apalmer1
unless it broke inside the 3rd member... i'm betting its the shaft... pull it out and see what happened. its 4 bolts per side, plus the break line. then the bolts on the 3rd... quick and easy to pull apart.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by apalmer1
not right away. In fact, possibly not at all.

The way everything is bolted together back there, he could drive for a while before the bearing loosened up enough for the wheel to wobble.

Even though the axle is semi-float, all of the weight is on the outer, bearinged part of the axle. No real weight is on the third.

So, even if he snapped inside the tube, its likely that the axle would continue to spin normally.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 AM

you know what, i've been thinking about everything that happened and I just came back on here to say "i think it might be a shaft" haha

i can drive it around the neighborhood and the dif doesnt grind or anything, i blew a dif in an old VW transaxle a few years ago and when a dif goes, it grinds like crazy. . thats for sure.

i put my wheel without power against the curb and the wheel with power going up the regular slope of the driveway and when i tried to get that powerless wheel to go up the curb it did toe out a little bit.

im gonna tear it apart the end of the week/this weekend. ill get pictures up for everyone once i find out exactly what happend. carnage IS always fun. I have a wall of all my broken VW stuff. fried mains, brake drums snapped off axles, clutch pedals broken, toothless spider gears. . etc etc. . ill take a shot of that too

thanks for all the help/info/input guys. now i just have to figure out what the hell i need to do to get that out.

Last edited by Josh.Photo; 09-09-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:30 PM

if it is an axle shaft, anyone have any suggestions?
its got the yota 8inch rear so i was looking at the All Pro axle shafts but im always open to suggestions.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 PM

I like your signature Josh, I hate it when dumbasses say ect in place of etc. It's et cetera you fools!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:44 PM

Toyota rear axles aren't full floaters (unless you converted it) so you would not be able to drive it if you broke the axle itself. Lockers can and will break. I had a friend break a detroit locker jumping his truck.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Or sheared a tooth or or more on the Ring gear..

I recommend you check it ASAP, driving with a snapped/shear axle could end you with some severe liability issues

Molly (aka Lysmachia) and 'TIppy' had 'Out of Housing experience'
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...t-ride-113260/
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
So on our way home today from helping a friend work on his celica, we were cruising at 45 miles per hour when all of the sudden there was a jolt, and Tippy tipped driver side and we heard massive grinding. Troy was driving and he did a great job keeping Tippy in line while we coasted to a stop thinking at first we had a blow out... that is until we saw my rear driver side tire go flying past us with the 2 foot axle shaft sticking out of it. Once it got about 20 feet in front of us it hit a divot and careened across the front of us only to bounce into a Hyndai show lot. We were so lucky that:

A) We didn't get hurt
B) Another driver near us didn't get hit
c) The tire with 2 foot axle shaft didn't hit any of the new cars.

We had no for-warning. At this point we don't know what failed. Was it the detroit locker? Did the wheel bearing fail? I had slashed a tire 3 weeks ago and got a new spare but it was at 25% tread vs my newer 75% tread tires. Did running one tire on the rear with lower tread ultimately cause it? I am baffled. I had thought that Toyota's might have a rear axle shaft break, but I have never heard of the wheel coming loose and out of the axle housing.

Here she is after we came to a rest and retrieved the wayward tire.

The Tire

You can see the splines are stripped.

Inside the axle housing. Note the damage around the sides.

Poor Tippy! At least Troy and I managed a smile...

What a crazy day!

Update... After grinding the last 2 days I got the rear axle and suspention out

Here is the rear axle:

Look at how bent is is. Not sure if it was that bent before she lost the tire - but it might have been which would have weakened the bearing.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyminator2000
Toyota rear axles aren't full floaters (unless you converted it) so you would not be able to drive it if you broke the axle itself. Lockers can and will break. I had a friend break a detroit locker jumping his truck.
You are correct that toyota axles are not full float stock, at least not mini truck stuff. There are LC's w/stock ff, but thats a different story.

However, I've seen a truck drive just fine with a busted shaft. The bearing will actually hold up for quite a while before it goes loose, and the wheel starts to wobble.

It is possible that it broke, and he's been lucky. However, I'd say quit driving the truck ASAP, so the above doesn't happen to you.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:37 PM

damn thats nuts.

i havnt been driving it since this happend. i drove it around right after it happened to try and see if i could figure out what was going on. for now im in the daily driver Highlander, another great yota.

im pretty sure this axle is the v6 8inch instead of the 4cyl 8 inch. i dont know exactly what it is/has because i didnt do any of that work, it was all like that when i got it. as far as i was told it has 5.29 gears, (we'll see about that when it gets torn apart) and its sits on 35inch tires.

sometime the end of this week im going to bust into it and see whats up, if i cant figure it out or handle it myself it might get towed somewhere.

Since the axle is going to get torn into, i think im going to put in the AllPro chromoly axle shafts in regardless.

Anything else you guys can think of as far as rear end upgrades is greatly appreciated, if its coming apart i might as well do all the good stuff at the same time insted of tear into this thing a bunch of times.

Mic - as far as the signature goes. . . thanks. its the english language, im pretty sure i learned that "a lot" was two words in . . 2nd grade? like " a lot " of cars or more literally a parking lot. there is no such thing as an alot as far as i know.

enough rambling. . . thanks again for the input guys. ill take whatever i can get
Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Josh.Photo
Anything else you guys can think of as far as rear end upgrades is greatly appreciated, if its coming apart i might as well do all the good stuff at the same time insted of tear into this thing a bunch of times.
Well if money isn't an object then you can do the full float disc brake conversion. Front Range Off Road is one of a few places that makes kits.

http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...26aba6d184b0c4
Old 09-10-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Josh.Photo
Since the axle is going to get torn into, i think im going to put in the AllPro chromoly axle shafts in regardless.
I wouldn't run aftermarket chromoly axles, I'd stick with a stock axle shaft. There are plently of guys running much bigger tires on some very tough trails that have been running stock shafts for years. They are truly one of the strongest parts of your rear end. My guess is the rear end is welded and you've broke the welds. Detroits don't just stay locked like what your truck is doing.

Quick Reply: Locked Axle + "snap" = only 1 wheel getting power?