84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

I'm missing this part?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm missing this part?

Can anyone tell me what this is? It looks like a valve/switch that goes to the heater but I didn't have it. How does it work, what's it's function?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
That would be your heater control valve. It connects to the heater lever in the dash and allows you to adjust the flow of coolant going into the heater core which helps control how hot the air is coming out of the vents.

It should look like this:
Picture from 22RE Performance: https://22reperformance.com/22re-coo...-control-valve

Old 05-16-2018, 10:14 PM

Thanks Jake
Do I really need it? When I took out the dash I didn't see any cables going thru the firewall where that would have been. When I got the truck PO just had the two heater hoses connected to the heater core, one in and one out.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:18 PM

Wow, Pricey little sucker................Funny, I have the mounting bracket. I was wondering where that went.........
Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 832 Likes on 557 Posts
I think with your core hooked up the way you describe, you must have hot water flowing through all the time.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Wow, Pricey little sucker................Funny, I have the mounting bracket. I was wondering where that went.........
You can convert it to the later plastic ones that don't rust out. I've done all the measuring and it will bolt right in with a few minor tweeks.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
You can convert it to the later plastic ones that don't rust out. I've done all the measuring and it will bolt right in with a few minor tweeks.
Ok, so where do I find the one you're talking about, I looked but........... a few minor tweeks you say??? humm
Hey Larry, got a pic of yours? Thanks
Rad stopped by last night, spent a few hours here then took off. Nice guy, enjoyed the visit.

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 05-17-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:03 PM

Made by Nippon Denso (ND) PN: 87240-89124 – 08/1988 thru 11/1995, on 4Runner and pickup.
I got a few from the parts yard they don't rust so no problem.

Yes, drill one hole for a mounting tab the bolt hole aligns perfectly, then when you install the heater hoses realign them a bit.
I test mounted one already but have to do another project before I can do the final install.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 PM

The newer style valve is a good idea.

It looks like this:
Picture also from 22RE Performance:

Also, did RAD run away after he saw the wiring you were dealing with? LOL

Old 05-17-2018, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota

LOL. We actually looked at for for awhile. he offered to help me when I'm ready to start on the wiring. I showed him the big pile and it didn't seem to bother him, I'm kind of not being intimidated by it as much as I was when I first puled it all out, it's growing on me..........
Old 05-17-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota

The newer style valve is a good idea.

It looks like this:
Picture also from 22RE Performance:

Also so
What is the direction mean? I "will" have a coolant hose coming from under the intake manifold (block off plate) and the other one is coming from the coolant pipe near the drivers side motor mount. which one goes where. Does it matter which side of the heater core the pipes enter and exit?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:24 PM

You mean this pile

Or this pile for my next build, a 91 EFI engine which is in pieces...........

Old 05-17-2018, 04:48 PM

Ok, I just looked at my heater box and control. When I move the lever from cool to warm a big flap opens on the right side of the box. I also noticed a hole and a plastic bracket for a cable on that lever. I am assuming that is where the cable goes for the valve that I'm missing. So now I need the valve and a length of cable in order to "make it right" again. I would really like to get the PO and his son and give them a good wack for there stupidity. (Just venting)
Anyway, another question for you guys, the foam or whatever it "was" on the flaps of the heater, what can I replace that with? It's also on the dash vents. Just looking to get it working to the best I can.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:52 AM

it's growing on me..........
If you scrub real hard it might come off.

Also so
What is the direction mean? I "will" have a coolant hose coming from under the intake manifold (block off plate) and the other one is coming from the coolant pipe near the drivers side motor mount. which one goes where. Does it matter which side of the heater core the pipes enter and exit?
The hose on the driver's side goes into the driver's side of the valve.

I am assuming that is where the cable goes for the valve that I'm missing.
Correct, new cables are available from the dealer and don't really cost much. Did you get any cables from the PO?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:16 AM

If you scrub real hard it might come off.

LOL

The hose on the driver's side goes into the driver's side of the valve.

And then into the drivers side port on the heater?

Correct, new cables are available from the dealer and don't really cost much. Did you get any cables from the PO?
No cables from PO

I will head down to my salvage yard and see if the 91 4runner I grabed the master cylinder and booster from has this valve.Maybe be able to get under the dash and grab that cable.

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 05-18-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:36 AM

I will head down to my salvage yard and see if the 91 4runner I grabed the master cylinder and booster from has this valve.Maybe be able to get under the dash and grab that cable.
If I were me (and I am) in your case I would grab the whole thing - with the control unit (levers et al) that way you will know which cable goes to what devise.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 AM

If I were me (and I am) in your case I would grab the whole thing - with the control unit (levers et al) that way you will know which cable goes to what devise.
Good point, I'll see what's there. They might be different from a 84 PU to the 91 4runner. but I'll check it out. Thanks
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Hit the mother load today,,,,,,,woo hoo
Went to the salvage yard to find the heater valve and cable, well I not only found the heater valve and cable from a 91 4runner, (the plastic one) He had a 86 Toyota pickup! I found most of my GRAY dash parts including the frame, not the best of shape but nothing a good cleaning won't cure. Also found the shifter boot plate, some window plates that go above the dash and one nice door trim.Got the dash frame out with the heater control still attached and it has a clock in it. I checked the dash parts against mine and they all match...woo hoo I wish they had lotto in Utah............check it out.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:57 PM

LOL. We actually looked at for for awhile. he offered to help me when I'm ready to start on the wiring. I showed him the big pile and it didn't seem to bother him, I'm kind of not being intimidated by it as much as I was when I first puled it all out, it's growing on me..........
Good! Ray is a nice person! I am no longer intimidated by wiring. Sometimes it takes a little while to wrap my head around a circuit design, but once I understand what is supposed to happen and why components are connected the way they are, I can fix problems pretty well.

You mean this pile

Or this pile for my next build, a 91 EFI engine which is in pieces...........
I mean the first pile, but you would have a real mess if you combined both piles into one wiring harness. That gives me a strange thought..... An engine that is both carbureted and fuel injected...... hummm... it probably wouldn't end well.....

Hit the mother load today,,,,,,,woo hoo
Went to the salvage yard to find the heater valve and cable, well I not only found the heater valve and cable from a 91 4runner, (the plastic one) He had a 86 Toyota pickup! I found most of my GRAY dash parts including the frame, not the best of shape but nothing a good cleaning won't cure. Also found the shifter boot plate, some window plates that go above the dash and one nice door trim.Got the dash frame out with the heater control still attached and it has a clock in it. I checked the dash parts against mine and they all match...woo hoo I wish they had lotto in Utah............check it out.
Nice score!!

Usually when I go to my local Pick 'n Pull they either don't have any 1984-1988 Toyota Trucks or the ones that are in the yard have been pretty much stripped clean, minus some broken parts. I should get there as soon as one comes into the yard.

Last edited by old87yota; 05-18-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: I still cannot spell... wow.......
Old 05-18-2018, 04:42 PM

Ok Jake, you're invited to the wiring party when I get there
Yeah, it was a nice score I didn't mention the buckets and the center console with the shifter piece that goes in front of the console, mint! I have to take a pic,divers side seat has a rip but otherwise they are pretty clean, for being 32 years old (pulled from a 86)
I have the 2 piles of wires separated, I made sure of that.Still haven't decided if I'm going to open up the harness's and pull out the wires I won't need. We'll see when I get there

Quick Reply: I'm missing this part?