84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

How hard, changing tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Supposedly Toyota. When I went and asked for clips I got the crappy ones in the photo. But I've talked to people and seen a write-up online of somebody's where they used the one piece clip, and they said it came from Toyota. I would think that if your parts guys at your local dealership are halfway decent, you should be able to ask for them. But...I had already installed mine and put everything back together when I heard about the better clip, so I can't say for sure.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I called the dealers around here, niether one knew about the better clips so I got the ones that are on there already. Each dealer has 1 clip so I have to drive to both of them today to pick them up. I will drop the tranny back out mabey later today, if not hopefully by wednesday and I will let you know what I find. By the way, I need to pop the throwout bearing apart because the one from NAPA does not have the outer part that the clips hold onto, any ideas would be apreciated as I do not have a press.
Kevin
Old 06-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Yeah...if you have a socket that matches the up to the bearing or hub, you can maybe hammer/press/pry it off that way. Hopefully somebody around here will have better info for you. I tried for a long time to get the bearing off and I just didn't have anything laying around the garage that would work. I also ended beating the hub up bad enough that I had to replace it. I took the bearing and hub to my machine shop and had them press it on. I would think your local machine shop or garage would get the old bearing off & put the new one on for nothing, or at least next to nothing.

I'll try to find where I saw that clip...dealerships can be absolutely no help at all.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kevin M
I was told the Tranny came out of a Toyota truck 93? and that the truck burnt up around 100,000 miles.
Kevin
you at least replaced the oil, didnt you???
Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 AM

First off, read this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...icture-163132/

One of the posts says that if you put the springs on backwards, it may make a clicking noise.

Here's a photo of the clip I'm talking about. It's one piece, and much more rigid. My guess is that it's a new design that goes with newer vehicles, but may very well fit any 4wd Toyota clutch fork..Guys at the dealership aren't smart enough to look farther than what is recommended to them by the computer for your exact truck. If you do some research you may be able to find out the part # and whether it will work for your truck, but it seems like the crappy clips seem to serve their purpose, so...

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runne...h/IM000141.JPG

Not a great photo but you can see it there.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Did some searching and the most I can find is that there is a "wire" type, and "clip" type. The clip type is what we've got, and the wire type must have come with different transmissions. I'd like to know for sure if it would fit our trannies. I'm not sure though, once the tranny is installed, if the clips really do anything.

When my tranny was going back in, any time somebody bumped the shift fork or we hit the tranny against something, one or both of those clips would pop off. We finally got it in with the clips on, but it seems like they were falling off pretty easily, so the whole clutch cover/shift fork/hub/throwout bearing must really be sandwiched in there tight together, so that the clips aren't really doing anything anymore.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 AM

marking this.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Well I got it back out yesterday, the throwout bearing was in the right spot but one of the clips had come off. So I put the new throwout bearing on, new clips and put it back together. Then I went for a drive.... and suprise the engine runs great now, 5th gear still pops out but not if i just hold it, I don't need to put any presure on it but just kind of rest my hand on it and it will stay in gear. And then there is noise and vibration. The vibration is gone but it still makes a little noise, but not nearly as much as before. So when it is all said and done I can live with it. Thanks for all the help Zach and everone else that ansered my Questions.
KEvin
Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 AM

Hey no problem Kevin! I'm glad it's working better. I wonder if it was the clip that was making the noise..
Always nice to hear when things get fixed.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 PM

So what did I do wrong? I took the 4runner to Idaho today, 35 miles each way. When we got to where we were going I could smell oil so I looked under the truck and guess what, I have oil covering the transfer case, driveline, gas tank and rear end. It looked like it was coming from the top of the transfer case. So having no other way to get it home I drove it back. Now nothing sounded wierd and no unusual vibrations so I was I do not think I damaged any thing further.
Yesterday I filled the tranny up and it was a little overful but not much. so after everything cooled down a bit I took out the transmission oil fill and stuck my finger in, nothing. I then pulled the transfer case fill plug and it came gushing out. I am pretty sure the whole thing was full. Now I have determined that I should not have oil traveling between the tranny and transfer case and that the rear seal on the tranny shaft failed.
Anywhays I think I need to take the bastard back out again and replace some seals. my questin today is, besides the tranny would the pressure of filling the transfer case up ruin any seals in it? Also if you think I missed something let me know, I do not want to do this a fourth time.
Kevin
Old 06-15-2009, 05:43 AM

You may, if you haven't been over there before, want to try out the Marlin Crawler forum. I don't know about the inner workings of the tranny & t-case, and there's a lot more knowledge of that sort of stuff over there, if you can't find any here. I know that if seals are bad you definitely can be pushing tranny fluid into the t-case, so you're likely right about that happening. Hopefully your ordeal will be over soon! Sucks to have to chase a bunch of problems around, believe me I know.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 PM

I know this is an old post, but I am going through this right now and the picture above, with the new wire clip, is of a release bearing for the 3.0 V6. I found one of these in my 5-speed tranny bolted to a 22RE, so someone just used what they had. I guess the bearing will work with the 22RE, but it will not work with the replacement bearing I got with my new 4-cylinder clutch kit.

So now I have to find the clips mentioned above, and the clutch release bearing hub. And to top that off, this post has made me curious if I need a new release arm as mine is slightly different.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by zlathim
Long extensions;

that extension is awsome haha