84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

half tank sputter 22re

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool, good luck man. when I rolled my '88 pickup it wouldn't run if i was sitting in the driver seat. and would only start if i kicked the front tire will it was turning over. tore the truck down to the frame and spent ALLOT (I could have easily bought another truck and drove it for a year) of money and time trying to figure it out.. never did figure it out so i sold it.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GranVille-4crawler
Question. What would cleaning the injector do. If I had it unhooked it shouldn't be functional right?
As far as performance, cleaning the cold start injector won`t do anything, but if its like mine was it will be caked with carbon build up.

Last edited by myyota; 04-07-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Lol no I haven't yet I figured id drop the tank this weekend when I clean my tb.
You don`t need to drop the gas tank to look inside of it, all you need to do is raise the passenger side back seat, you will see an access panel held in place by 3-4 screws, remove the screws and the access panel and you will see the top of the gas tank were the fuel pump bolts to the tank, unhook the fuel lines (make sure you mark were they go, thats important) and unbolt the fuel pump assembly and carefully work it loose and pull it out of the tank. Look inside you will see a metal pan in the bottom of the tank, it should be spot welded to the bottom of the tank, if its not and its moving around in the tank, then you will need to replace the tank because there is no way to fix it. When i got my 4Runner the pan in the bottom of the tank had broke loose and i had to replace the tank, but i got lucky, my cousins neighbor was parting out a wrecked 87 4Runner and he gave me the gas tank from it for free.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Danggg. What was that dude talkin about a coffe can lookin thing then lol. Am I gonna have to cut my plush carpet for this? And pretty much if I do all this the weekend and its still doin it am I up crap creek with a terd for a paddle?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Danggg. What was that dude talkin about a coffe can lookin thing then lol. Am I gonna have to cut my plush carpet for this? And pretty much if I do all this the weekend and its still doin it am I up crap creek with a terd for a paddle?
You shouldn`t need to cut your carpet at all, the carpet should be split already under the seat. Don`t let this get you down, just keep going through things on your 4Runner and you will eventually figure out what the problem is and get it fixed. My 4Runner was in a lot worse shape then yours when i got, there wasn`t one thing on it that i havn`t had to fix or replace.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 PM

a huge + one on not dropping your tank..
Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol... 1st guy I ever head of that didn't now there was an escape hatch (fuel pump access) in his Runner

THANK GOD Toyota did that! Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

And once you get to it and pull it off, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

I had to rig a hard line though so I could force air through it. I used a 22R under intake fuel rail and a piece of fuel line or vac hose.

I reached right down and put the L part in the tube, and blew air into it.

You need to watch everything from lights (I used a florescent around it) to running your fingers through your hair... You don't need to do anything to cause static discharge around those fumes...

Not too sure how I feel about using a flash around it too, if you think of snapping a pic...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
dang I shoulda got a pic when it happened to me...

The slosh tank was completely BONE DRY, and the fuel was level around the top of it... it was actually hilarious...

My truck was sitting still in the garage. My guess is driving it, fuel will splash into it and it'll be less prevalent... Excluding highway driving...

EDIT AGAIN! There's your troubleshoot..!

Go for a drive and if it hiccups, slam on the brakes or take off fast... if it momentarily clears up, there's yer problem

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-08-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM

Yeah I reckon I'll take the ol girl out for a spin tomorow. I need to esp if I'm checkin the tank, its like half full right now.... really hope this is the issue but I'm still plannin on cleanin the tb also. Appreciate all the ideas
Old 04-08-2010, 06:21 PM

Well it looks like a slosh tank is EFI only... I went out to get pics of a parts truck I have, and it didnt have one... It was a carb truck.

THIS is a slosh tank... Notice the small tube on the side...

Name:  PicS013.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  96.5 KB

And THIS is how you get to it...

Name:  PicS001.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  95.0 KB
Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 PM

awesome, the tube is on the right,right?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 PM

When you get yours a part make sure the pan (slosh tank) hasn`t broken loose, if it has there is no way to fix it, you will need to replace the gas tank.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 PM

right,right?

right

EDIT: looks like up at the top and around and out the right side.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-08-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Here's what you need to do:

Find a nice level spot. That's gonna be where it sits while you test it, inspect it and fix it.

You're not going to wanna do this with much more gas in the tank than in my pics. So don't fill up right before you do this.

EDIT: The 1st thing you're gonna wanna do is test it. Let it run till it stalls out, then you're gonna wanna inspect it. Just flip the seat up and go abouts removing the fuel pump.

You will not want the battery connected...

There are two lines as seen in my pic, on the right as you're looking at it. There are two so a good way of not mixing the two up is to slip the clamp of one line off and onto the metal part of pump access. The other clamp, slide it further on the hose. So you can't mix them up... no marking the hoses needed.

Now you pull the FP out... But it will be tight... Very tight.

Being careful of the fuel line and FP power supply, pull the FP all the way out.

Now you can see what you're dealing with and if the fuel level OUTSIDE the slosh is higher than INSIDE.

Now you can go abouts McGuvering how to flush it.

I had about as much fuel in mine as the pics above. I ran a piece of hard metal fuel line about a foot long with about a 3" L at the bottom.

I had an air line, and blow gun and made a piece of rubber line connect the two.

Put L in the tube and blew.

Assuming the level isnt so high you lose sight of the tube, don't worry. A little agitation of some gas getting in behind the air source will prolly only help things.

Mine was tarred and laqured up... I had to work it a while but I got it...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-08-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Here's what you need to do:

Find a nice level spot. That's gonna be where it sits while you test it, inspect it and fix it.

You're not going to wanna do this with much more gas in the tank than in my pics. So don't fill up right before you do this.

EDIT: The 1st thing you're gonna wanna do is test it. Let it run till it stalls out, then you're gonna wanna inspect it. Just flip the seat up and go abouts removing the fuel pump.

You will not want the battery connected...

There are two lines as seen in my pic, on the right as you're looking at it. There are two so a good way of not mixing the two up is to slip the clamp of one line off and onto the metal part of pump access. The other clamp, slide it further on the hose. So you can't mix them up... no marking the hoses needed.

Now you pull the FP out... But it will be tight... Very tight.

Being careful of the fuel line and FP power supply, pull the FP all the way out.

Now you can see what you're dealing with and if the fuel level OUTSIDE the slosh is higher than INSIDE.

Now you can go abouts McGuvering how to flush it.

I had about as much fuel in mine as the pics above. I ran a piece of hard metal fuel line about a foot long with about a 3" L at the bottom.

I had an air line, and blow gun and made a piece of rubber line connect the two.

Put L in the tube and blew.

Assuming the level isnt so high you lose sight of the tube, don't worry. A little agitation of some gas getting in behind the air source will prolly only help things.

Mine was tarred and laqured up... I had to work it a while but I got it...
There is a drain plug on the bottom of the tank, wouldn`t it be easier to just drain the tank almost empty and then see how much gas is in the slosh pan ?, and then you could also add gas to the tank to see if the slosh pan fills up like it should, but be sure to do this on level ground.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:22 PM

Well, yeah, you're draining the tank then... I wouldn't be worried about fuel getting out of the slosh tank, as much as I would getting in.

The closer to the top of the slosh tank the better you'll see your problem.

If the gas level is higher outside the slosh tank that means the tube is stopped up.

BUT, the equalizer tube may just be semi-stopped up but BTT he gets the pump out, fuel could seep in and level out in the slosh tank... Mine was completely stopped up. My circumstances were a little different.

I did mine with a little in it, enough to submurge the tube. I think it'll help with the cleaning b/c gas will try and back fill the tube you're trying to use to force air in, to clean the equalizer tube... It's sorta like using an abrasive. IMO, a lot better than just using air.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 04-08-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Well, yeah, you're draining the tank then... I wouldn't be worried about fuel getting out of the slosh tank, as much as I would getting in.

The closer to the top of the slosh tank the better you'll see your problem.

If the gas level is higher outside the slosh tank that means the tube is stopped up.

BUT, the equalizer tube may just be semi-stopped up but BTT he gets the pump out, fuel could seep in and level out in the slosh tank... Mine was completely stopped up. My circumstances were a little different.

I did mine with a little in it, enough to submurge the tube. I think it'll help with the cleaning b/c gas will try and back fill the tube you're trying to use to force air in, to clean the equalizer tube... It's sorta like using an abrasive. IMO, a lot better than just using air.
If the slosh tube is plugged you can use a heavy piece of wire, like a piece of coat hanger to unplug the tube.
When you unplugged the slosh tube in your truck, what did you find in the tube once you got it cleared out ?.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 AM

IIRC, I couldnt get my arm in the tank... I've got huge forearms and there was no way That's why I had to rig a hard line...

If I remember it was slow going, but when it went clouds of black junk came out the other end of the tube...

When OP does this he should really look at the discharge and see what comes out...
Old 04-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Ok so my carpet is all one piece.... wondering if this has to do with mine being a granville and having a dif back seat...
Old 04-09-2010, 03:15 PM

have you replaced your air filter? or fuel filter?

Quick Reply: half tank sputter 22re