84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Going to buy a new engine, Which one??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to buy a new engine, Which one??

Hey Guys,

Ok apparently my head is warped, and the cylinders are scratched pretty bad, so I am going to go ahead and buy a new engine. I am looking at 22REs of course, because the guy can do the swap for 500 bucks max. Here are a few options, Can you guys tell me which you would recommend? I am not made of money, to be honest I would like no core charge, but what can you do, seems like everyone has one. Anyway, here are the engines:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22R-2...4506.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Japan...4506.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22RE-...4506.m20.l1116

Or should I just go with a rebuild kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...QQcmdZViewItem

Confused on how to proceed, seems to not be worth it to just fix it, but I am planning on selling it anyway, what do you guys think?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:59 PM

Well if I were going to sell it (which I would never do in the first place) I would just rebuild it, but you are talking about a guy doing the swap which would lead me to believe that you will not really be doing the rebuild on the engine, and that probably a guy would be doing that as well.
If this is all true then the price keeps going up to fix the Toyota. If you are just looking to sell it might try selling it as is. Most take the engine out and put something way overpowered in anyway.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your going to buy an engine go with the oregonenginerebuilders first one of your listed choice's

I have talked with them and there "AS LONG AS YOU OWN THE TRUCK WARRANTY" is awesome , when I asked him about issues coming up he told me "call us tell us what went wrong and if it's not a major issue they will send me the parts and I can replace them myself or a shop can and they will cover it but if it's MAJOR it has to be shipped back to them and they will fix everything free of charge only money out of my pocket is shipping to them from the east coast and shipping from the west coast back total $300-$400 bucks" nobody else will give you that kind of warranty.

If you rebuild I would say no doubt go through ENGNBLDR.COM for the parts many a person on here will tell you about his reputation and quality parts being the best on the market plus service that is unheard of in this day and age , don't waist your time or money on any of the cheap e-bay stuff just not worth it when you can get the better kit for same or less from Ted(engnbldr).

If you go with either of these options there will be no need or reason for you to sell it and you may find yourself loving that truck all over again
Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 PM

So when the mechanic says scratches on the cylinders, does he mean the pistons? I don't know much about the itnernal workings of an engine, just external stuff. If I just bought a rebuild kit, would that fix my problems [including head gasket] or is a new engine the best solution? I am getting an enlistment bonus [been 4 years in] of 3,500 cash on the 30th, was hoping to pay some debt with it but looks like most of it will go to the truck I would do the work myself as I am recently unemployed and have time, but getting the truck to me is an issue, as it is in quincy, wa and I am in Spokane. Towing charge is over 1,000. That is with triple a too. I'm leaning towards the new engine but what do you guys think I should do?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I was you I would rebuild it there's a place in medical lake that sells engines but also does engine work I would take your bare block and head (have them do the oversize valves at the same time you can get them from engnbldr as well)there and have them go thru them find out if they need boring get it done then order the kit from ENGNBLDR to the new spec and rebuild it.

As for you getting to Quincy from Spokane and bringing it back to spokane get a freight hauler to move it it will be way cheaper then a tow truck and knowing the Quincy area there are always flatbeds looking to get out of there with a load you can post a ad at the Flying J truck stop on Broadway in Spokane I bet you can get a local driver to haul it for you.