84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

gas draining out of carb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas draining out of carb?

hey
I have a 22r in my 84 toyota pickup 4x4 and have had it for ten years. Best trucks ever built but you guys already know that. My problem is if it sits for more than a day or too it takes 3 or for crank sessions for it to start. which has lead me to believe the gas drains out of the fuel line and back into the tank. Once the truck is started I can shut it off and restart it immediately or wait several hours and it will start right up. Its only if it sits for a prolonged period that it wont go. No studdering or false starts, it just turns and turns until on the third try it gets the gas? and fires up. Anybody else having this problem?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 PM

I got the aame prob plus oil leaking into the cylinder past the valves
Old 07-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Prob fuel pump. Its letting it drain back
Old 07-31-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean Patrick Reynold
which has lead me to believe the gas drains out of the fuel line and back into the tank.

Anybody else having this problem?
A common problem usually after a carburetor rebuild. My untouched factory carburetor did not do this until I rebuilt it. Now I do have this same problem.

However, it is not draining back into the fuel tank. The fuel is leaking into the intake manifold. When I first was having this issue, I took off the carb to see what's going on and I found the plastic spacer was covered with gas. So somehow, after the engine is turned off, the fuel slowly drains out of the float bowl and into the intake manifold.

You can see on the right-hand side of the spacer is darker because of the fuel. The left side is lighter in color because it is dry.

Originally Posted by nightstalker
Prob fuel pump. Its letting it drain back
This is incorrect. Once the fuel pump pumps the fuel in the float bowl, the fuel is physically separated from the fuel inlet hose that is connected from the pump to the carburetor.

As one can see in this Toyota diagram, the fuel cannot travel back upwards into the fuel filler line.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 PM

Ok I can see now how it isn't possible for it to flow back into the tank. This is actually worse than I had imagined. that ounce of gas is lost to evaporation! Thats like 3cents of gas at $4 a gallon!
But seriously any way to correct this issue to save wear and tear on my starter and the embaresment of my neighbors thinking my old truck is junk?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 PM

If it where do to evap wouldn't all 22r's do it? It might be that your fuel pump is old and can't get the gas to the carb fast enough to float the float but one Iit floats it it can keep it floatin.Or somthing else farther back restricing fuel flow.

Last edited by Stetson_md; 08-01-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 AM

Sounds to me like slo-mo was saying it leaks through the needle valve and then evaporates sitting inside the carborator. I guess I need to just pull the lines and check the float bowl to see where gas is and where gas isn't
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once the fuel is in the float bowl, via the needle valve, it can't go back. And it's not evaporating throu the needle valve. It's sealed off with the rubber tip of the needle.

I believe he is saying that the fuel could be leaking from the float bowl to various passageways throughout the carb, and the fuel makes it way into the manifold area via seeping and leaking gaskets, accelerator pump, check valves, etc. A thorough, precision rebuild with quality parts would remedy what Slo-mo is describing, from what I can gather.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM

How is the float level?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:38 PM

My 1984 Toyota pickup had the same problem. It turned out to be the auxiliary accelerator pump diaphragm. It is located on the left front of the carburetor. You can remove the vacuum line from it and check for fuel in the vacuum line. If there is, then connect a mighty vac to it and test it. It should hold vacuum.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 PM

However, it is not draining back into the fuel tank. The fuel is leaking into the intake manifold. When I first was having this issue, I took off the carb to see what's going on and I found the plastic spacer was covered with gas. So somehow, after the engine is turned off, the fuel slowly drains out of the float bowl and into the intake manifold.

You can see on the right-hand side of the spacer is darker because of the fuel. The left side is lighter in color.

Sorry if I missed it, but how did you fix the problem of fuel leaking into the intake? My gaskets are soaked too. The carb is fairly new. I took the carb off and filled the bowl slightly and fuel was leaking out of both openings soaking the bottom of the carb.