84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Float level help. :/

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Float level help. :/

Hey put a new carb on and all vacuum hoses to what I know are correct. But it won't idle. Anyway I checked the float window when the car was off because it won't idle and it's beyond the half way mark. My question is are you suppose to check it with car running and how hard is it to adjust float?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MATTSRED
My question is are you suppose to check it with car running and how hard is it to adjust float?
Checking the float level while the engine is running is best because this will tell you what the mechanics of the float circuit is doing.

Is your carburetor an OEM Aisan carb or is it an aftermarket carb like Weber or Holley?

If it is an original carb, to readjust the float is not too difficult. You will not need to remove the carburetor from the manifold. What you will need to do is remove the 2 retaining clips that hold the mechanical arms coming up from the throttle linkage onto the choke plate and the air horn on the Air Valve.

Then you can unscrew and separate the top Air Horn, that's the top portion, from the carb to make adjustments to the float ciruit.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
Is your carburetor an OEM Aisan carb or is it an aftermarket carb like Weber or Holley?

If it is an original carb, to readjust the float is not too difficult. You will not need to remove the carburetor from the manifold. What you will need to do is remove the 2 retaining clips that hold the mechanical arms coming up from the throttle linkage onto the choke plate and the air horn on the Air Valve.

Then you can unscrew and separate the top Air Horn, that's the top portion, from the carb to make adjustments to the float ciruit.

Hey thanks for reply and yes its original carb.. Now I adjusted it and put it back together with the view port showing gas in the mid section fired it up and then became full again? Do I need a new rubber float..or is my fuel pressure crazy? Eh I just want to go driving..
Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM

Now I adjusted it and put it back together with the view port showing gas in the mid section fired it up and then became full again? Do I need a new rubber float..or is my fuel pressure crazy?
One of two things. Either you adjusted the float in the wrong direction so that the fuel level is higher, or the float is just stuck open causing the fuel to fill up.

If the float is stuck, you might be able to dislodge it by tapping on the top of the carburetor lightly with whatever tool you have.

Regarding the float replacement, you certainly want to see if you have done all that is required to get the fuel level correctly. If your still having fuel/float height issues, then you can replace it.

The p.s.i. pressure that the mechanical fuel pump puts out is relatively low, less than 5 psi. So, a properly operating float circuit will handle that low of pressure.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:26 PM

Well I adjusted and adjusted again all within specs and it's almost to the top and won't idle. Blah done for today.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Hey put a new carb on
Is this a "new" as in newly rebuilt or "new" as in a different carburetor than the one before it?

Well I adjusted and adjusted again all within specs and it's almost to the top and won't idle.
I would speculate not to adjust the float to Toyota's specifications. I did the same thing and my float level was off. Then I ignored the specs and readjust the float to specifically get the fuel level in the center of the sight glass.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 PM

this may sound stupid but i rebuilt my factory carb on my 85 and it would have a surging idle becuase i forgot to plug in this large hose that goes into the bottom of your air box which is a vac line cuasing a massive vacuum leak.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Was the new carb really new or new to you? Is the needle that is connected to the float there and attached? Sounds like it's not or there is dirt keeping it open.