84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Felt vs poly knuckle wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Felt vs poly knuckle wipers

Need for a brake job includes rotors.Still have auto hubs,found some Aisin manuals.
Seems like a good time to service the 85 solid axle.
Found what seems a nice kit.Koyo wheel bearings,yukon knuckle bearings,bronze spindle bearings,54 mm socket, Marlin seals,
etc.
This kit uses a poly wiper seal rather than felt.
Is that a good thing,or no?
Old 04-15-2015, 05:32 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
So more information about your rig would be good. Also what are you asking. You need a break job. Fine do the breaks

Now if you want to start replacing parts that's fine also but most will suggest you get the whole truck up to par before replacing original working parts. Whole truck works? Great.

Ok now what are you trying accomplish and what are your goals with the truck.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't have any hard science and haven't researched it but seems poly wipers would be better. I have leaking inner seals on front axle so this is on my to-do list but not very high. Got the kit on stand by.

Should be a fun job. Might want to inspect bearing prior to replacing they may still be good. I imagine an axle of that age has had bearing replaced. Koto are good bearings that really last unlike cheap Chinese junk some venders sale. Bearing usually last much longer than brake rotors and pads.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 PM
osv

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
i think that there is a two-piece poly and then there is also a one-piece poly... the latter is better, but it's tricky getting it stretched around the knuckle ball.

there is no telling what you'll find when you get in there, i would hold off on buying anything, until you see what you got.

for instance, if you can't get an axle out of the housing, because the housing is bent, you might have to regroup and come up with another plan.

also... this is a good time to think about upgrading the front rotors/mc/booster, if it hasn't been done already, because the rotors have to be pressed/pounded off/on.

Last edited by osv; 04-15-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 AM

Thanks for he replies.

This is my daily driver.Its not a hobby truck.I'm an old guy who has driven old iron and kept it running for the last 40+ years.
You suggested bringing the whole truck up.It a rusty box Toyota but its sound.I am bringing the whole truck up...my way.Its got 220.000 on it and in the 3 yrs I've had it,I brought up other parts of the truck.I drive it every day,no problem.

Yeah,I need to put brakes on the front.(No warning squealers on the pads,and I did not check the pads.Heard the ugly noise.Put a cheap set of pads on for short term.Started collecting the parts.)
I want to lose the auto hubs.I figure putting on Aisin Manuals "bringing it up"? The auto hubs work.I figure I'm heading off trouble.Its going to be on jackstands with the calipers pulled and the hubs apart.My knuckles drool a little.I have no idea how long its been since the knuckles and bearings are serviced.
It is 30 yrs old.I don't want to nickel dime it.
So,when I pull the jack out from under it,the front rolling gear and brakes will be long term dependable.And,I myself will have pulled and serviced my burfields,knuckles,hubs,etc.I can't afford the down time of taking it apart to see what I need.The woman I bought it from had it a long time.She was not an axle bender.But,30yrs old,220,000 miles...I agree tossing Toyota parts for...parts from who knows where? is not wise,but this stuff is Koyo,Yukon,MarlinCrawler,etc.

I also recognize this stuff will not stay real easy to find.This truck is 30 yrs old,its a dead end for manufacturers.So buying quality parts while I can beats "All we have is the junkparts" later.

15 years from now it will still be rolling as a pretty much stock Toyota.

If I could find a good box reasonable,it would stay more stock.I'll likely build a bed.

I appreciate the Toy for being what it is.No dis to anyone else,enjoy!!But,for myself,31 is a tall enough tire,2 in OME springs will be fine.A basic Putney long block will do.Nope,don't need the double transfer case,and I'm not bobbing the bed.
I can go anywhere I need to go stock.I don't annoy the private landowners that welcome me by tearing up the ranch roads.If I'm on a forest sercice road,I'll turn around when I start cutting ruts.I'm not the "Closed due to resource damage" guy.
And I just don't do mudbogging or boulder courses.
Not knocking anyone else,but you asked.
I posted to learn about felt vs poly.I appreciate the feedback. So far,apparently there is not a lot of experience with them.Once again,thanks.

Last edited by NBRanger; 04-16-2015 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
No worries, I can appreciate someone building to their needs. I did but now getting off-road legally is not really do-able.

Some of the claim to fame with poly over felt. Is felt can get debris imbedded in it where poly won't. So I think the thought process is preventing that build up will keep contaminates out of knuckles with time. I think I read that on a gender site, so facts may lean and towards products they sale. Sounds good to me though.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:15 AM
osv

Originally Posted by NBRanger
I posted to learn about felt vs poly.I appreciate the feedback. So far,apparently there is not a lot of experience with them.
maybe i wasn't clear enough? i installed and i run the one-piece poly, it works well, no way that i'd ever run the felt again... among other things, i think that the one-piece poly will prevent moisture from getting in, better than the two-piece poly, and certainly better than the felt.

you said that it was an '85 solid axle truck, with auto hubs? i don't think that is stock, auto hubs only came on ifs trucks, never on the '85 solid axle trucks.

auto hubs can be made to work in place of the factory original manual hubs, but it sounds like something isn't right there...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ifs-...d-axle.364263/
Old 04-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Great,I think I'll order the kit.

As far as auto hubs on an 85 solid axle,I did quite a bit of research before buying my used hubs(30 spline Aisin,,the selector protrudes)

I'm no expert on all things Toyota,but 1985 Solid axle 4wd came equipt with both auto and manual hubs.Mine came with autos.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:30 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by osv
maybe i wasn't clear enough? i installed and i run the one-piece poly, it works well, no way that i'd ever run the felt again... among other things, i think that the one-piece poly will prevent moisture from getting in, better than the two-piece poly, and certainly better than the felt.

you said that it was an '85 solid axle truck, with auto hubs? i don't think that is stock, auto hubs only came on ifs trucks, never on the '85 solid axle trucks.

auto hubs can be made to work in place of the factory original manual hubs, but it sounds like something isn't right there...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ifs-...d-axle.364263/
You are incorrect, auto hubs WERE available on SFA trucks. Very rare, but they do exist. I have personally seen them and they were original for sure.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by osv

auto hubs can be made to work in place of the factory original manual hubs,
why would someone want to go to auto hubs??
on my 86 4Runner (bought new) the auto hubs went out at 12,000 miles. Replaced with manual hubs and went the next 4 years trouble free until i sold the truck.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:21 PM
osv

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
You are incorrect, auto hubs WERE available on SFA trucks. Very rare, but they do exist. I have personally seen them and they were original for sure.
looks like you are right, they are listed in the '85 fsm

it shows a factory sst for re-assembly, but there is probably a workaround.

this reminds me of autostick transmissions on vw bugs... the first thing that we did was swap in a 4-speed stick.