84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

E locker up front in my 85 Xtra-Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
E locker up front in my 85 Xtra-Cab

A couple of months ago a friend sold me a Taco 8" e locker for an amazingly low price but, the C note I spent on this e locker is only 5% of the whole mod I'm doing to enhance the Toyota solid front axle.
Since Photobucket has turned into a greed machine, I only have a link for my images.

I went to Fresno last week to pick up some axles and birfields for a really good price, they are gun drilled (whatever that means) and break in is not required so I'm told.
The 4:88 gears are sitting in a box in the garage but, the master install kit is in limbo somewhere which is annoying the hell out of me.
The e locker came to me without a switch motor and used switch motor that may fail immediately are no less than $225.00 so I bought a Chilkat shifter and will have 5 shifters on the floor, too cool.

The front axle already has an LSD but, it slips more often than it should due to being an older, well used and slightly abused unit so I want a e locker so my rig can be almost as cool as yours.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by fasterspider

I went to Fresno last week to pick up some axles and birfields for a really good price, they are gun drilled (whatever that means) and break in is not required so I'm told.

gun drill implies it is like a barrel. there should be a Zerk fitting on the end of the birfield, other than the initial install you won't have to take about your knuckle to pack the birf cage-great for periodically slapping some grease in there
Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 AM

The vented rotors and calipers were a birthday gift last year that came right after I had rebuilt the knuckles with new bearings, gaskets and wiper seals knowing full well I'd be opening the front end this year for a new pair of axles, birfields and an E locker.
Free stuff like this is always welcome. 😎
Old 08-19-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just milled out my 85 axle housing today to fit an elocker diff for my sas.
Attached Thumbnails E locker up front in my 85 Xtra-Cab-photo761.jpg   E locker up front in my 85 Xtra-Cab-photo866.jpg   E locker up front in my 85 Xtra-Cab-photo518.jpg   E locker up front in my 85 Xtra-Cab-photo984.jpg  

Last edited by Yotard; 08-19-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Yotard
Just milled out my 85 axle housing today to fit an elocker diff for my sas.
That's pretty sweet Dude, SAS with an E locker is badass. 😎
My 85 gloriously equipped with a solid axle from the factory is getting ready for next year and the Rubicon, gonna be my first time on the trail.

Last winter I put 4Runner/FJ-80 booster and master cylinder in the truck and it improved the braking big time but, for my birthday last year I received a pair of new vented rotors and a pair of used calipers out of a 95 4Runner but, wasn't going to install yet because I had just rebuilt the knuckle seals and new hub bearings a week before I got the brake parts so, taking the hubs apart again wasn't happening so soon.
Installing the e locker and new axles made me take apart the whole front end so what better time than now to install my new vented brake rotors & calipers?
Old 08-26-2017, 08:48 AM

I cleaned the hub locks in my ultrasonic cleaner which makes them as clean as the day they were made and then greased up everything nice & thick so the new hub lock gears would enjoy their new home.
After the new gears went in I had to paint the knob but, was in too much of a hurry and put the masking tape over the knob before the paint was dry so I have to touch that one up again.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:13 AM

Progress has been slow but, finally today the whole thing should be ready for pick up.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:56 AM

I need a volunteer to help lift the axle out of my Kia, my back is out so I will not be able to handle this alone.
It is obvious that I have my front axle back in hand but, it does no good in the trunk of a Kia Forte.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:20 AM

Where do you live?
Old 09-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Where do you live?
Granada Hills, where you at?
818-259-8690
Old 09-09-2017, 11:37 AM

Unfortunately I'm up in the Bay Area.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Up north huh? You are closer to the gnarly trails I want to wheel on.

Had to take the axle housing back because they neglected to install the stud kit I gave them, all fixed now and ready for me to finish the install. I had them leave it apart so I could get it out of the trunk on my own, stuff is heavy and I am arthritic. 😋
Old 09-09-2017, 12:07 PM

fordyce and the Rubicon are about 2.5 hours from my place. It's easy to go up there for the weekend.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:40 PM

fordyce and the Rubicon are about 2.5 hours from my place. It's easy to go up there for the weekend.
My rig is getting ready for the Rubicon next year, the high powered axles & birfields will not have me stuck blocking the trail. ��
The only mod left aside from the rear shock mount will be the 35"s I'm going with next year.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:36 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by fasterspider

I need a volunteer to help lift the axle out of my Kia, my back is out so I will not be able to handle this alone.
It is obvious that I have my front axle back in hand but, it does no good in the trunk of a Kia Forte.
pretty good fit! I paid $40 for an engine hoist from a co worker, comes in handy for stuff like that.
Brings back memories of when I stuff a VW engine in the back seat of my 67 Karmann Ghia..talk about a tight fit!

Truck is coming together nicely!
Old 09-12-2017, 01:27 PM

So I'm not a fabricator, I already know this but, I'm also thick as a brick in the thin walled skull so I keep doing stuff anyway.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:45 PM

Today was a very productive day and I have an E locker with Longfield Super Axles along with brand new vented rotors and 4Runner calipers in my 85 Xtra-Cab now, couldn't have gotten it done without my buddy Tony's help, he has knowledge one can't do without when modifying a 32 year old Yota. ��
Old 09-15-2017, 01:08 PM

I don't have a wiring harness or switch to activate the E locker because my Chilkat shifter is on back order so I have to have the lock either on or off for now, that's okay, I can cope. 😋
Finally done and just in time for Hungry Valley and Miller Jeep Trail this weekend.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:32 AM

What a day I had wheeling yesterday and I found out about the hard steering while down in a gnarly gulley, it felt like my power steering was broken and then in a matter of 1', the steering would move like it had a super pump.
Going to take some getting used to for sure but, that E locker is an amazing utensil to enhance my 4 wheel driving experience.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool!