84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

E locker up front in my 85 Xtra-Cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally after more than three months I received my Chilkat manual E locker shifter.

Now comes the decision and I need to see other examples of to get the idea.
Does anyone here have one of these shifter set ups? If so, I'd like to see what you did and know how you did it to get the shifter mounted?
Old 10-19-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Some guys in town run them up front with cables. If I see one in the next few days I will try and remember to ask
Old 10-20-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Some guys in town run them up front with cables. If I see one in the next few days I will try and remember to ask
That would be cool, thank you.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:55 PM

I have the Chilkat all connected and working but, the shifter bracket isn't bolted down yet, don't know where I'm.gonna leave it yet.

The Chilkat shifter is pretty damn cool, I'm a happy fool.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:20 PM

I have been enjoying the front axle E locker for a few months now and while I was on my way to wheel a couple of weeks ago the rear axle suffered some kind of bearing failure which resulted in a flatbed ride home.
i removed the drain plug in the rear diff to be greeted with chunks of iron & steel, it wasn't pleasant at all so I made the decision to go with an E locker in the rear also.

It was dropped off today and then dude helped me pull the whole rear axle out of the truck.
I need to come up with some cash real quick but, I'm out of work on medical leave thanks to having bad arthritis that needed toe joint fusion surgery and then sheist happened so I may have to have the toe amputated because I did serious damage in a slip & fall in the bathtub. I can't even bring a law suit.

Last edited by fasterspider; 12-20-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:36 PM

So I've had a cast on my foot for two months now and progress has been slow but, I get the re-geared 3rd and axle housing back tomorrow so my rig is coming along again but, I have a problem about the parking brake.
The driveshaft parking brake idea doesn't seem to be a good option, I've seen two of them fail and hear I should find another way. What is another option that doesn't cost too much? All this being in a cast and not working is a hassle.