84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Clutch bleed and so much air

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch bleed and so much air

Ok, I am new to this forum, but do know I am not new to cars. I am usually working on Hondas and Nissans doing the whole ricer thing but I dont care what you think. I still have one of the best cars I have owned to date, my Redneck Benz, an 85 Toyota Pick up. Given to me by my dad. Quick photos.

And yes that is a Benz emblem on the hood. I baught it like that.

Anywho, this is my issue. I have had some clutch pressure issues with my hydraulic clutch for a while, but was able to work around them SAFELY.

Today I was driving and the clutch fell all the way to the floor. I managed to get it in to a gas station to discover the slave cylinder was toast. The seal was leeking fluid pretty bad.

So I replaced the cylinder. Then we endused the 4 hour bleed session that seemed to not work. We tried both gravity bleeding, and pressing the clutch in, bleed, tighten up, and then release. All that fun jazz.

The crazy thing is, after all that, air kept coming out with the hydraulic fluid. It was like the bubbles never stopped.

THe friend who was helping (who use to work for Mazda as a Tech) said we just needed to keep bleeding the line, and use a vaccuum system. Another friend who owns a shop said I probably have a whole in my line.

The master cylinder is only a year old, so i DOUBT its that.

Thanks for the help in advance.

One last pic, me after hour one of replacing the slave cylinder.

I really need to clean the underside of my truck, lol.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 AM

On my 85 p.u. I went through 2 Autozone master cylinders in a week before getting my money back, then went to the dealer and bought a stock one. No problems afterwards. Make sure you check your connections on the hydro lines too.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your clutch master cylinder. Sounds like the piston is leaking. Any fluid on the floorboards inside the cab?
Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Considering it costs under $100 to replace both the clutch MC and slave with OEM stuff, typically folks replace both MC and slave together.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
And usually a good idea to bleed air out from the top by the M/C. But guess what, no bleeder there. So use the hard line fitting as a bleeder, press in the pedal and hold, then slightly loosen the hard line and let any air escape before snugging it up and repeating the process.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by ahickman
Check your clutch master cylinder. Sounds like the piston is leaking. Any fluid on the floorboards inside the cab?
No leaks, no fluid inside the cab under the peddles. I also felt by hand around both cylinders for any feel of fluid and nothing.

Originally Posted by dr-dirt
On my 85 p.u. I went through 2 Autozone master cylinders in a week before getting my money back, then went to the dealer and bought a stock one. No problems afterwards. Make sure you check your connections on the hydro lines too.
I went though 2 or 3 when I first replaced the master cause we kept getting ones that the res. was cracked. Number 4 was the lucky charm and it doesnt seem to be leaking from anywhere I can see or feel.

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
And usually a good idea to bleed air out from the top by the M/C. But guess what, no bleeder there. So use the hard line fitting as a bleeder, press in the pedal and hold, then slightly loosen the hard line and let any air escape before snugging it up and repeating the process.

Ill give it a shot.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys!
Old 04-05-2009, 12:44 PM

RNA731..
try to bench bleed the new M/C first then install. that way, most of the air will be out of the system & less time on your back!

Mike
Old 04-05-2009, 01:48 PM

Yeah, my father seems very confident that its the master as it seems the slave went out about 2 weeks before I replaced the master a year ago. Fun stuff. Ill change that out and try a few methods I was recommended tomorrow and hit you guys up with what happens.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:52 AM

So it seems the Master Cylinder was at least part of the problem. I replaced it and now the peddle returns to the top position. Only issue I am having now is it seems the master cylinder isnt moving fluid at all. I only saw one plug for the line, so I am not 100% sure. I am waiting for a friend of mine to get here so I could test a few things, but I might have to go get another one. God I hope not. Autozone and Advanced need to have a policy that if the cylinder the sell you is bad, you get a free bottle of Dot 3, lol.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Or just buy from a reputable parts house or the stealership.
Did you bench bleed both the slave and the master?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:17 PM

Ok, i got it worked out. Seems I had the plunger pulled out too far to the peddle. Just turned the fork thing back a few threads and worked great.

So, here are for those who pull this up on search

Problem: Clutch Peddle dropped to floor
Slave cylinder was leaking and even after replacing it, still no clutch feel, and lots of air coming out no matter how much I bleed the system.

Resolution: Bad Master Cylinder. Replace and roll out.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Same problem!

I have an '85 4runner.

I have to second the problem listed above, and am grateful that the posts above helped me solve it.

With my old (not that old, as I replaced it in '05) Aisin clutch master cylinder, I was not able to disengage the clutch fully without pumping the clutch, no matter how much I adjusted the length of the plunger bar. I bled the clutch numerous times... no improvement.

So I went ahead a replaced the master cylinder again (Aisin), and even replaced the flexible tubing line with a braided stainless steal line from www.paragonperformance.com (very nice line, $30 shipped, but one of the ends will no longer fit the retaining factory clip, as the neck of the attachment point is too wide) to eliminate all the variables. (slave cylinder had been recently replaced as well, once again with an Aisin).

After gravity bleeding and vacuum bleeding, I had no clutch pedal pressure, and could not get into gear.

I fixed my problem by re-adjusting the bar on the plunger of the master cylinder as suggested in the above post, and my problems were solved. In my case, I had to extend the retaining clip portion of the shaft further away from the firewall (towards the pedal and therefore towards the driver) by spinning the shaft clockwise. Now by problem is solved and it is a pleasure to drive the truck!

Thanks much to everyone who helped with this one.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:59 PM

Good to hear man. Pass on the goodness, anytime you start a tech thread on any board, always explain how you fixed it, or what worked when you figure it out. I love my redneck benz, and have decided I will never sell it seeing as the only problem these things have is they eat though master/slave cylinders.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:06 PM

I had seriously given up hope and resolved to take my truck to a mechanic tomorrow when I stumbled across this post. I had just finished replacing and bleeding the clutch master cylinder and still no luck. The plunger needing to be tightened is such a silly little thing, but that totally took care of it.

I created an account here just to thank you guys for this post.

What an awesome way to start the New Year!