84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

BVSV, plug i.d., and thermo sensor. 85. Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BVSV, plug i.d., and thermo sensor. 85. Help

got a few Questions here if anyone can help. I'm trying to get some closure on this 22re rebuild install on my '85 sr5 pickup. In all the drawings and diagrams that i have found with the bvsv in them, the top of it seems to be flat or covered so that it is flush. mine is open and looks like something is supposed to plug in there. Does something go on top of that thing? (pic)

next is the thermo switch/sensor. one of the two wires that goes into the stick that goes into the brass housing is broken and the thing is generally worked. I already ordered a new sensor from the dealer ($50-ouch!) but it might be a week or more before it comes. from what i understand, this sensor tells the ecu what temp the engine is running at so it can adjust fuel etc. i am wondering if i can or should start the engine with this sensor obviously disabled. if so should i just unplug it all the way?

last one i am getting hung up on these three plugs in the other pic. I didn't label these when i tore down because i thought i was either going to carb or replacing the whole harness, neither of which turned out to happen (should have known better) I took a million pictures as i took it all apart, but i can't get a good look at any of these three in them. all three come out of the harness on just before the injector plugs and seem to want to go down from there. anybody? sorry if the pics are small, still getting used to the whole operation.
Attached Thumbnails BVSV, plug i.d., and thermo sensor. 85. Help-3-plugs.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks like BVSV is missing the cap and filter element like the other VSVs have.

Should be OK to start the engine with the bad temp sender, may set a check engine light code and not run efficiently.

Some of those connectors may run down by the oil filter and a few are not connected (green one and one of the large white ones mine):

Old 07-02-2008, 02:14 PM

The "missing" piece on the BVSV is, I believe, the cap, which incorporates an air filter. It should function fine without it.

Driving without a sensor connected if iffy.

And, on the wiring; #3 may go to the A/C compressor, #1 goes to a sensor, I believe, and #2 goes to wiring harness (as if that helps...).

Good luck, you're almost there!!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:12 PM

good call on the ac plug. i checked out my compressor which is on the shelf for now, and #3 plug definitely goes there. and good to know about the bvsv, i'll look for a cap on a cane field junker. that just leaves a definite i.d. on the #1 and #2 plugs. maybe they are for automatics. you are right about it going down by the oil filter, just don't know what they're for. but if they are not plugged in on the sr5 runner, i probably don't need them either.
Thanks.

Last edited by Steaksauce; 07-02-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:47 PM

In it's great wisdom, Toyota makes each of the matching connectors unique. That is, they will only plug in where they belong. And, occasionally a connector will not be connected (like one of the white plugs, sometimes).

So, basically it boils down to finding the matching connectors, then, verify that the obvious things are, in fact, connected. (Oil pressure, knock sensor, a/c, 2 sensors, ground, starter solenoid.)
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 PM

Alright, the #2 set of big white plugs ended up being to the tranny (the other end was hung up over the other side of the bell housing). One is for the 4x4 dash indicator, the other must be and automatic thing and stays empty. #1 is just going to have to remain a mystery for now. moving on to vacuum and egr. thanks for the help.