84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Buy another '85 SFA\EFI SR5 4Runner?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy another '85 SFA\EFI SR5 4Runner?

OK, I hate to come here and ask such a vague and hard to answer question, but here goes~
I already have one '85 4runner modified for off road use. It's pretty fun and I'm happy with it. While working on that 4Runner, I came across another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner in fairly good shape tho alot of miles at nearly 200k. I bought it and it's been sitting next to my garage for about year. No reason to drive it much.

So, yesterday I see another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner, this one an SR5 with 99k on it. Some rust on the body, frame looks OK but I haven't taken a screwdriver to it yet. The guy wants $1500 for it which I think is a little much. I'm still tempted to buy the thing since it's that gold color (like that 4Runner the Texas guy has) which is cool. I haven't driven it but the guy says it runs great and he just bought it from the original owner.
But, if I buy it, what will I do with it? Turn it into a daily driver? I hate to buy it and let it sit like the other stock 4runner I have.

Man, I can't decide and figured I'm post my quandry here. Any tips or advice?
Attached Thumbnails Buy another '85 SFA\EFI SR5 4Runner?-4runner1.jpg  
Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dingman
OK, I hate to come here and ask such a vague and hard to answer question, but here goes~
I already have one '85 4runner modified for off road use. It's pretty fun and I'm happy with it. While working on that 4Runner, I came across another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner in fairly good shape tho alot of miles at nearly 200k. I bought it and it's been sitting next to my garage for about year. No reason to drive it much.

So, yesterday I see another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner, this one an SR5 with 99k on it. Some rust on the body, frame looks OK but I haven't taken a screwdriver to it yet. The guy wants $1500 for it which I think is a little much. I'm still tempted to buy the thing since it's that gold color (like that 4Runner the Texas guy has) which is cool. I haven't driven it but the guy says it runs great and he just bought it from the original owner.
But, if I buy it, what will I do with it? Turn it into a daily driver? I hate to buy it and let it sit like the other stock 4runner I have.

Man, I can't decide and figured I'm post my quandry here. Any tips or advice?
You could give it to me and I will put it to good use.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 PM

I'll sell it to you for $2500 and you can fly down and drive it back!

Originally Posted by olharleyman
You could give it to me and I will put it to good use.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM

open up a museum to showcase all your classics
Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM

That seems dirt cheap to me but I guess maybe it just depends on your area. I just paid a little over $3,000 for a 1985 4Runner with over 200,000 miles and an auto tranny because it was the only decent one I could find within an hours drive. Eventually, I'll swap in a 5 spd and turn it into a rock buggy but for know it's going to be my winter driver and weekend toy. To answer your question.. If it was me, I'd buy it.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:05 PM

Thx Smokie for an honest answer (you other guys are fun too) and yeah, around here that isn't dirt cheap. But I was under the impression that this 4R was hard to find, but I've found 3 in 2 years without even looking very hard.

Hmmm, I think I'll offer the guy 1K for it and maybe we'll see.

Anyone else have advice? Like they are not hard to find and I'm wasting my time/money?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM

they are hard to find, at least for a decent price (decent in the northwest would be under $2k, and at that price they're all a little beat and need something). otherwise you'd be paying $3,500 and above. so i guess, ya, it depends on where you're at. Here with the mountains, snow, beaches, rain and trails they bring top dollar, plus its fairly liberal so theres less pressure on driveing american. you could buy it and post it on ebay and prolly make a quick grand.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Buy it and drive it for a little while. Sell it next spring for some profit. A 4Runner like that would not last long in Portland...
Old 09-11-2007, 04:31 PM

well then. I think I'll withdraw 1500 just in case. I'll call him tomorrow and ask for a test drive.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:34 PM

well then. I think I'll withdraw 1500 just in case. I'll call him tomorrow and ask for a test drive.

I wonder how many hours it would be to Iowa??
Old 09-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Damn! I just did a search on line for 85 4Runners for sale within 300 miles of me.. I found one with no price listed. I wish they were easy to find around here so I didn't have to spend $3,200 for one with an auto tranny. I've been looking, this is the best I can find and I pick it up on Friday.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:46 PM

I'm thinking that if I buy this gold 4runner, then I'll have to sell the grey one. I have too many vehicles already and not enough parking. Or money. But I like the gold one better, it has a sunroof...lol
Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 PM

Hey, I like the AT. That's what my offroad runner is. Maybe I'll trade you for my grey one, depending on the details.

Originally Posted by Smokey74
Damn! I just did a search on line for 85 4Runners for sale within 300 miles of me.. I found one with no price listed. I wish they were easy to find around here so I didn't have to spend $3,200 for one with an auto tranny. I've been looking, this is the best I can find and I pick it up on Friday.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 PM

Hey, I like the AT. That's what my offroad runner is. Maybe I'll trade you for my grey one, depending on the details.
Sounds good to me. I'll have to check on the drive time but it's possible. Here's a post with the only photo's I have now. I'll take more on Friday. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...-gears-124279/
Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 AM

I looked at the pics of your rig, and it's way nicer than the one I'm looking at. I highly doubt you'd want to do the trade.

Also, sorry to say that I'm more interested in a rig that hasn't been lifted and is more stock than the one you have. It is a good looking rig tho, looks to be in great shape for an '85. My grey one is in pretty good shape (body and rust wise) but the dang head gasket blew out last year and that's why I've parked it. I need to get that fixed before I do anything with it.
It was a good thought tho.

Last edited by Dingman; 09-12-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM

I looked at the pics of your rig, and it's way nicer than the one I'm looking at. I highly doubt you'd want to do the trade.

Also, sorry to say that I'm more interested in a rig that hasn't been lifted and is more stock than the one you have. It is a good looking rig tho, looks to be in great shape for an '85. My grey one is in pretty good shape (body and rust wise) but the dang head gasket blew out last year and that's why I've parked it. I need to get that fixed before I do anything with it.

Gotcha..

My troubles may be solved anyway.. I just found an 87 4Runner that's been rolled. It's pretty much junk but the entire drivetrain is in place and only has 104,000 miles on it. There's my 5-spd, transfer case and shafts plus I'll get a spare 22RE motor out of it and a nice set of wheels. The guy wants $600 and he will deliver it. I think I'm gonna do it.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My grey one is in pretty good shape (body and rust wise) but the dang head gasket blew out last year and that's why I've parked it. I need to get that fixed before I do anything with it.
It is not that hard to replace the head gasket. Where are you in Iowa? I never see any 1st gen Runners here in IL.

Rob
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by rdlsz24
It is not that hard to replace the head gasket. Where are you in Iowa? I never see any 1st gen Runners here in IL.
Rob
No, not that hard and I'll be doing it sometime inthe next 3-4 months. I live and travel around in central Iowa. based out of Des Moines.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I'm thinking that if I buy this gold 4runner, then I'll have to sell the grey one. I have too many vehicles already and not enough parking. Or money. But I like the gold one better, it has a sunroof...lol
RV Storage site?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
RV Storage site?
Not a bad idea but I guess I could use my friends farm up in northern Iowa. I could put one up there with a cover over it. I know the damn mice would eat it tho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buy another '85 SFA\EFI SR5 4Runner?