84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 pickup pulls hard right when breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Is this a 22R or 22RE engine? If it is EFI, then see the link below for the irregular idle with the brakes applied:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TLCA_Tru...ech.04.09.html
Okay thanks for helping me diagnose this problem, i did some testing and it does only happen intermittently when i have my foot on the brake, so now i just need to turn the idle screw down but i cant figure out where it is?

Originally Posted by grant526
You can also unplug the hose from the brake booster and put your thumb over it to check the idle. If it's still running funny, go ahead and remove it from the manifold also. Doing so will diagnose the hose's integrity too.

About the pulling right while braking. An '85 has a solid front axle (same as pictured above). Anyone with an '86 or newer will not have the torque rod to remove or have this issue (unless they have done a SAS and did not convert to crossover/hi-steer). Due to that fact that they have IFS!
How much lift does the truck have? I don't know why someone would have removed the torque rod unless it's lifted. It really doesn't limit flex that much.
Ya, I was amazed at how much the truck pulls during heavy braking after I removed mine too. But you know it's coming you can correct and drive it just fine. You just have to get used to it.
And yes, like 4runner freak said. Going to crossover steering is a great improvement and eliminate a lot of weak points. Especially if you plan on crawling as much as your name implies.

You mentioned 5.29 gears. What size tires are you running?? They don't look all that big.

The hose that comes off the valve cover ("the top of the engine block") and goes into the intake manifold is the re breather for the valve cover and is mostly a smog thing. It's greasy and oily because it's old and doesn't fit very well anymore. They are like $10 or less at Toyota.

You also mentioned the PARKING Brake cable touching the spring on the rear axle. This isn't a serious issue, unless it is not allowing the brake to fully disengage. But if there is slack in the cable when you have the parking brake off, then there isn't an issue. When I installed the Super Lift springs in the rear of my truck, I was disappointed when I found that same issue. but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Grant
Thanks for the help Grant. Im running 33x12.5 with a 4.5 inch of total lift after leafs and shackles. So i guess ill just have to hold on tight to the steering wheel. But can anyone help me find my idle screw?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rocklover
But can anyone help me find my idle screw?
Right on top of the throttle body, it is a rather large screw top, slotted.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Right on top of the throttle body, it is a rather large screw top, slotted.
cool found it i put my idle at about 600 is that good or is there a specific?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

I think the FSM specs 750 or so, but if the idle is smooth and the oil pressure is OK, it should be fine.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 PM

k got it idling good at about 900 with good oil pressure thanks for the help.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 87 Ford Ranger pulled really bad to one side on braking. It was a ball joint that was bad. You might check with the wheel off and jacked up if there's play in the axle/hub, move it back and forth really hard and see if it's loose. Sorry if Toyota doesn't use ball joints!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:10 AM

Hello everybody i am the proud new owner of this baby
Anyways it has a few problems. Needs a new brake booster(when the car idles it jumps up and town i cant pinpoint it so im just replacing the whole thing), and i need a new 5.29 rear. Anyways when i was driving it home today i noticed that when i brake the car pulls hard right and i have to steer left to keep it going straight. Can anyboby tell me what could be causing this???

Edit: this only happens when i have to brake hard to stop fast.
Did you figure out the braking issue?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM

HEy there I have that same prob. 85 runner and pulls to the right sometimes ! But like another member stated it seems to be the push pull steering . So cross over steering is what I'm led to believe is the prob .
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

What kind of steering do you have now? If the the truck is as pictured in your avatar, looks like it still has stock steering (push-pull) and pulling to the side under braking is likely related to the torque rod, either it is missing or the bushings in it are shot and letting the axle roll forward under braking. That is what pushes against the pitman arm and drag link and causes the front end to steer to the right.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Well , 4 Crawler it is very stock with new tie rods , thought that would help, it did a bit ,But on investigation my rod is there and prob ball joints are shot been thinking of replacing . Y ou do not think that its just normal for stock ones to pull .
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Check all the bolts and bushings in the front end, probably something is worn or loose. No ball joints on the solid axle, but you can check the knuckle bearings by lifting the tires off the ground and grab wheel at 6- 12-o'clock and push/pull and feel for any play, same test at 3- and 9-o'clock. If 6/12 feels looser than 3/9, then you might check the knuckle bearings. If both loose, check the wheel bearings.

Might also be one caliper is sticking. I've run into that issue when the pads get worn down, one side can hang up and not release after you get off the brakes. So check the right caliper to see if it all moves freely and also the left caliper as it may not be braking as hard. Either too much right or too little left brakes will cause a pull to the right.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 PM

I had the same exact problem. My '85 pickup pulled severely to the right when braking. Turned out the front axle seals were bad and gear oil mixed in with the bearing grease and oozed out all over the inner brake pad on the driver side. Got a knuckle rebuild kit from allpro and all is good!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 AM

Sticky Caliper perhaps? And you can buy or make E brake extensions so it wont sit on the leafs.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...rakeExtensions
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM

Mine was doing the same,bleed all brakes,not doing it any more............try it.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Last edited by samuel payne; 07-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 PM

. . . . .

Last edited by CAdot; 07-10-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:41 PM

pulling

Hello everybody i am the proud new owner of this baby
Anyways it has a few problems. Needs a new brake booster(when the car idles it jumps up and town i cant pinpoint it so im just replacing the whole thing), and i need a new 5.29 rear. Anyways when i was driving it home today i noticed that when i brake the car pulls hard right and i have to steer left to keep it going straight. Can anyboby tell me what could be causing this???

Edit: this only happens when i have to brake hard to stop fast.
mine was doing same thing I replaced
The front shock just under the engine hope it helps
Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by CAdot
OP said he doesn't have a torque rod there so im sure that's what's causing the pull to the right under hard braking. my 85 used to do that too when i took out the torque rod to flex out for new shocks.

also, after i lifted that truck, the torque rod was too short as was the drag link for the push pull steering. those two run parallel to each other during stock suspension cycling. i switched the stock drag link for a 3" drop drag link which fixed the crappy steering and ridiculous bump steer. only problem left was when under hard braking the truck was pull RIGHT, just like yours. i couldn't use the stock torue rod because it was too short. i needed a drop torque rod or adjustable one. i didn't want to shell out dough for something that will limit my flex so i opted to use a shock for the torque rod. i had a blown shock that's collapsed length was slightly longer than the stock torque rod, eye to eye. popped that bad boy in there with some metal bushes and BAM, no more violent pulls to the right. it did pull soooooo tiny bit to the right but that is because i needed to take out the slack i had in the bushes. AND the biggest gain was that my suspension flex was not limited due to the torque rod because it can extend when driverside droops.

i got the idea from readin somewhere on the interwebs, good day.
I would like to see a picture of this on your rig.