84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

4runner soft top

Old 01-24-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner soft top

Hello everyone,
A few months ago I posted on here asking if anyone would be interested in my newly designed soft top. I recieved lots of comments both good and bad and finally decided to send one to 4wd Toyota Owner (www.4wdtoyotaowner.com) magazine to get an official impartial opinion and a long term trial run. Well, I was very pleased to find out that they really liked it and did a full feature article on it in the magazine! As a result, I am now officially taking orders for soft tops. For the record, I am making these tops myself, not farming them out to an unreliable vendor. As of right now, I have about a 3 week turnaround once the order is placed. I will be contacting all those that expressed interest in my original post last fall. I will also offer discounts for group buys of 5 or more. Thanks again to all those who gave me some positive feedback. It helped to get the ball rolling! For pics and info, check out my site at www.killertoytops.com .
Shawn
Attached Thumbnails 4runner soft top-4wdtoyowner-pics-004.jpg   4runner soft top-label1a-jpeg.jpg  
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Congrats, those are nice tops. What would one for an 88 go for
Old 01-24-2008, 05:58 PM

They are all the same for 84-89. The basic package is $850.00 without windows and $100 more for full length side windows which I can do in light or dark tint. The sides are removeable which turns the top into a bikini, and the frame is also removeable in a few seconds. I can make them to use the factory rear glass or with a vinyl back window depending on preference.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am glad that someone is making a top again. They look sweet. My Kayline is holding up now, but if I run into problems, I know what I will want for Christmas!

Thumbs up!
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM

what are the color options besides black
Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM

nice tops. damn they are expensive.

i can weld all day long, so i can make a frame. but i cant sew to save my life. whats the skin alone gonna cost me? $450?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 PM

I can get Sunbrella material in a whole pile of different colors. I am probably going to make "tan" a no charge option, but some colors I have to special order and the minimum is an entire roll! Most other custom colors I can do for an additional $75. I should also mention that I will be doing tops for custom trucks as well (bobbed beds, etc..) Any inquiries for colors, custom work, etc send me a note at info@killertoytops.com and I will do my best to help everybody out.
80W90- $450 sounds pretty reasonable to me just for the fabric part of it. We would probably have to change the design slightly as I don't know what you have in mind for mounting. I don't actually weld any of the components.

To give everybody an idea why these things are expensive... each one of these tops, given no changes in the design takes over 40 hours of labor to make. I am a journeyman heavy duty mechanic and I make around $30 an hour. If you figure 40 hours at 30 an hour...that's $1200. That's not including any materials at all yet. The average upholstery shop I'm sure would be charging considerably more per hour. I tried to keep the cost as low as possible, and use the best possible materials but everybody has to understand why it is what it is!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those tops look great, and the price is very reasonable considering the other option which is hundreds more. I'm definitely going to put that on my mods for '08 list.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Hey dude, i saw them in 4wd owner and immediately checked out your site... ill probably pick one up in the next year or so.. my kayline is pretty beat... and i love your style ALOT more... just one question... how does the rear window seal?

Cheers,
Greg
Old 01-26-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, how does the rear window work with the soft top? My girlfriend's truck, the 89 might be due for a convertible top if I get everything else fixed under budget.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:08 PM

At the back of the top, there is a strap on each side that comes down from the rear bow. The window slides up in between the canvas of the top and the straps and butts up against the bottom side of the bow tube. The window gets wedged in essentially. I put either the soft side of velcro around the edge or a soft rubber weatherstrip. I can also make a vinyl back window panel that seems to seal a bit better. To be honest, neither one are a perfect seal if you want to directly pressure wash, but either one will keep the rain out. I am always looking to improve the seal, but it's pretty tough to find something that can be sewn on to the canvas. I found that the soft velcro works pretty well, almost like the whiskers on old school car windows from the 60's. It also allows me to retrofit something down the road if somebody wants to add a back panel if they decide they don't want to use the glass anymore.
Just something to note, the back window has to be all the way up or all the way down or it is too unstable while moving and can break. Ultimately, if you want to rock crawl, order it with a vinyl back window. If you use your truck everyday and rarely take it offroad, I would use the factory glass. I don't charge any more either way, I just finish the back a little differently. Hope that helps.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:05 PM

Would it be possible to get a bobbed version?

Last edited by 90Runner; 01-29-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:24 PM

I am absolutely willing to do custom tops for bobbed trucks. I just need to know how much you removed from the length of the side rails. E-mail me at info@killertoytops.com and we can discuss any custom options. My number is (780) 991-6844 if anybody wants to talk about options.
Shawn
Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you changed the frame structure? I noticed in the mag pics the frame is different than that on your truck.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 PM

Are you looking at fitting one to fit a pickup (possibly even an Xtra Cab)? I'm just curious. I've seen the "soft top" campershells that rollup on the sides. I think it'd be dope... kinda like a military rig that would carry supplies in the back.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:00 PM

I did change the frame design a bit. I couldn't quite get the geometry right on my original design and it was too difficult to reproduce without wasting a bunch of material. It also didn't allow for easy access through the tailgate. The new design is much more rigid also and allows for stretch in the fabric. the best part is... no drilling whatsoever!

As far as pickups go, I have already had a couple of requests for custom designs for pickups. Drop me a line and we can talk about your ideas and we should be able to come up with something cool.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by klr toy
They are all the same for 84-89. The basic package is $850.00 without windows and $100 more for full length side windows which I can do in light or dark tint. The sides are removeable which turns the top into a bikini, and the frame is also removeable in a few seconds. I can make them to use the factory rear glass or with a vinyl back window depending on preference.

Where are these made? Are any available in California i am looking to get one in the next 2 days
Old 10-03-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Xanthe55

Where are these made? Are any available in California i am looking to get one in the next 2 days
LMAO. Did you see the dates on these posts? They cost much more now. https://shop228610.fwspayments.com/c...wp1bbafkcphmgi

IMO their site looks a bit sketchy but they have a good reputation. They build to order so there's a wait time.

I'm happy with my Softopper It took and hour and forty minutes to install by myself. http://www.softopper.com/jeep-suv-tops/toyota-4runner