84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22re Amateur head gasket job, stuck at intake manifold

Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of people just can't understand the smaller truck. Everybody want's to say their truck is soooo much better because it's soooo big and sooooo powerful... We'll see who's talking when I drive mine through their front door, up the stairs, and park it between the couch and the TV without leaving a single mark. I drive big trucks all day at work, I want to hop in something small when I head home
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a love for big trucks, but i'm a small girl and the yota fits me perfectly, also 2 seater means i don't have to give everyone a lift home haha
Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM

Good thing it was suggested that I replace the seals after I smelled that gas. They look pretty crispy. Was probably just waiting to happen anyways

22re Amateur head gasket job, stuck at intake manifold-tdyyczh.jpg
Old 05-08-2013, 04:37 PM

fossilized haha
Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Haven't been making much progress today, it's raining off and on and every time it stops I run outside and take off a few bolts, then it starts back up raining again. Got the fuel rail off and injectors all set aside, and all the bolts I can see off the intake, but it would appear I have to remove this pipe first. Not sure what it is, or which end I should remove it at, but it feels pretty solid. Do I just take the two bolts off the bottom? I took them off already but was afraid to break the seal in case it wasn't supposed to come off...what is that huge hex nut for?

22re Amateur head gasket job, stuck at intake manifold-etiytj8.jpg
Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe that allen head is another drain. But thats a coolant line that runs AROUND the back of the head to the heater hoses. Just take those two bolts out.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks. You guys really know your stuff. This site is really the only reason I even attempted to tackle this myself. The manual I have is obviously written for someone who does this stuff for a living. I feel like I should be paying you people...
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM

as nice as money sounds, i'd rather just lend a hand to the yota community. totally understand the on/off rain, same thing happened to me the whole time i was doing the HG on my truck back in december. also, don't remember the coolant line being there, mine went to the timing cover not on to the manifold... but thats prob the difference in year that they changed. either way tho it loosen the bolts and might be a little stuck on there, also be prepared for coolant lol. when I was doing mine pretty much EVERYTHING leaked coolant on me... I shall forever believe coolant is out to get me hahaha
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 PM

Just got the lower half of the manifold off. It's pitch black, it's raining, and I was using a small pocket flashlight, but I got it off. Then I looked at all the wires and hoses after everything was finally pulled out of there... how am I ever going to get this thing back together.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
also, don't remember the coolant line being there, mine went to the timing cover not on to the manifold... but thats prob the difference in year that they changed. either way tho it loosen the bolts and might be a little stuck on there, also be prepared for coolant lol.
There are coolant lines that attach to the timing cover on both sides of the engine. The one your thinking of has like 3 inches of hard line then immediately loops up and around to the throttle body/IACV. The one pictured is a line that wraps around the head to the heater hoses. Then on the driver's side behind the exhaust manifold is a straight pipe that also goes to the heater hoses.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM

i remember it now haha i didn't even take it off, but i had to get a new heater valve so i took the other end off not that one.

as for getting it back together we're still here to help, I'll get some pictures together for you of it assembled if you want
Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM

Didn't make any progress today :/ I'm worried that everyone here will forget about me if i don't! My goal was to get at least one thing done every day. Whether that be removing something or cleaning/preparing a gasket surface or even ordering parts. I did not meet my goal today. My excuse is rain. I was thinking about setting up a tent over the truck...seems a bit much though
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 PM

we won't forget you! well I wont. lol. and i had the "do something every day" drive when i started but i had some finance problems that delayed me along with rain, I attempted often to work in the rain but more often than not just slipped off my truck haha I do suggest the tent over the truck tho, thats a good idea, if I would have had my moms 2 car cover tent at my dads house i would have used it, but she was moving and it was packed up.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 PM

I have a big problem with finishing things that I start. I get really excited about some project, and give it everything I have at the beginning...and then I just get lazy and drop it. I don't want to do that with this truck because it really does mean a lot to me, being my dads first new vehicle and all. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the head pulled and really figure out what's going on with it. I'm not sure what all I have left. I have exhaust manifold off, TB and lower intake off, so I think all that's left is distributor and..whatever is below that. Power steering maybe?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM

Thats how I am too, man. Its a bad habit. You can do it, though! Just keep reminding yourself how awesome and beautiful your truck is and how much you miss driving it!

a break can be good though. Use it to clear you head so you wont get frustrated. Or, just go sit by your truck for an hour and stare at her. I did that a bit. Made me miss her SO much and encouraged me to get the engine rebuilt

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 05-09-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM

I had a similar problem about projects, but with a good reason behind it you'll remember to do it, besides about a week in (if it takes you that long) it almost becomes habit to spend an hour working on getting little things at a time done you'll be surprised all that you do in the end.

back on truck topic tho,
take off the accessory brackets (power steering) then mark your distributer at eh #1 spot, then. pull it out, then loosen the bolt under the gear, it goes to the timing cover and if you don't get that one you'll break the head getting it off.
then have fun getting the head bolts off, 58ft/lbs doesn't sound like much but if you punch something slipping your hand off the wrench it hurts (personal experience...) then keep the rocker arm assembly together. the arrows on the rail go to the front of the engine, don't forget that when you're putting her back together.

loosening sequence goes as such:
1&3 is front of engine.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 PM

It has always been my go ato truck when other vehicles are out of commission. It just feels wrong having it not running. I'm so used to bragging about it when everyone elses vehicles 10 years newer break down. It's supposed to be my invincible backup vehicle! Granted it did still run just fine, and would have got me anywhere in an emergency. But there's no sense in risking permanent damage driving it the way it was.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bruno4turbo
~~58ft/lbs doesn't sound like much but if you punch something slipping your hand off the wrench it hurts (personal experience...)~~

Haha. This. I still have a scar on my left knuckle from 3 years ago doing the HG. Hurt like a son-of-a.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 PM

When you say mark the distributor what do you mean?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 PM

they're indestructible but have to be cared for, she just wanted more you time lol. besides look at it as she needed an upgrade and get the steel gasket, sooo much better than the graphite one you're gonna find, use a plastic scraper to get all the graphite off the head and block before you put the new gasket

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22re Amateur head gasket job, stuck at intake manifold