84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

1985 4Runner - Crank But No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1985 4Runner - Crank But No Start

So I have seen a few posts where owners are discussing having a vehicle that cranks but won’t start. Several describe the scenario I am facing but with little details on fixing. I just purchased my Runner and had it shipped over to Hawaii. It was

Help me get this beauty up and running.
test driven and ran perfectly on the mainland. After shipping my spouse drive it home and unfortunately ran it out of fuel. When I started tinkering I was able to refuel, replace a bad battery and it started and ran just fine.

On my way to the gas station it just stalled again and died. It will crank but no sign of starting at all. I have troubleshot the fuel system from the pump to the engine, all works as it should. The interior electrical, fuses and passenger side EFI relay are functional. Under the hood I get voltage to the coil, ohms checked ok but, for some reason no spark. The distributor checks out on the ohm meter @ 171 is in the ok range also.

After a solid day day of tinkering I am now grasping at straws. Anyone here have any guidance or perhaps I overlooked somthing entirely? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The ignitor doesn't fire if it's ground is flakey, it grounds thru the body check its tight to the fender and the body ground is firm.

It also doesn't use the ECU when the key is in the start position if its a 22re, iirc one of the wires to it is the STArt signal you'll have to look for this.

You should locate a wiring diagram. If nothing POS out as a loose connection, you can test fire the ignition (there is a good YouTube video that covers this, guys name is uh Alex(?))
The following users liked this post:
The Mad Russian (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
In a case like this I like to step back to some basics, even if it sounds stupid.
Check to make sure your rotor is spinning when you crank the engine, pull the dist cap and watch it.
Check your ignition fuses and test for voltage on both sides.
Co 94 PU is probably right on the money with the grounding issue, he gives a lot of good advice, make sure you have nice shiny ground wires going to nice shiny metal, check resistance with your meter first then clean them anyway.
good luck!
Old 07-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
That's a good catch sir.

You can have good power, ground and a fully functional ignition but if the distributor isn't turn it's never going to tell it to fire.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Distributor Not Spinning

So following some of the above advice I pulled the distributor cap and sure enough it does not spin when cranking. I am new to vehicles with this type of ignition, does this indicaiate a bad distributor or something else. This evening I’ll clean up the grounds for the coil and igniter assembly as a PM measure.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by The Mad Russian
So following some of the above advice I pulled the distributor cap and sure enough it does not spin when cranking. I am new to vehicles with this type of ignition, does this indicaiate a bad distributor or something else. This evening I’ll clean up the grounds for the coil and igniter assembly as a PM measure.
I can't tell for sure from your picture, but it looks like you have a 22RE which has a timing chain, so either your crank broke, or your timing chain broke, or the cam broke or the distributor broke or one of the gears has spun.
time to start taking things apart, start with the distributor and see if the gear is on the bottom.
then pull the valve cover and see if the chain is there.
if you still haven't found the problem by that point pull the timing cover.
Most likely the timing chain broke or stripped the teeth off of one gear or the other.
give us some pictures to look at as you pull it apart.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:05 PM

Timing Chain

Just pulled the valve cover and confirmed it’s the timing chain. Pictures to follow. I’ll get the parts ordered and fingers crossed no bent valves.

Edit:

So revisiting my parts order. I am waiting for the LC Engineering Dual chain kit. Anyone have any experience with this alternative upgrade?

Last edited by The Mad Russian; 07-07-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:26 PM

So here is the final resolution. Timing chain was swapped just before I bought the truck. The NAPA authorized shop in Dallas, TX did a fantastic job, of not torquing the internal guide bolts correctly. Bottom line, several bolts backed out fell onto the lower chain gear, snapping the chain and a few teeth. During the tear down I also discovered worn crank, thrust and rod end bearings.

I gotta say that LC Engineering really saved my bacon on this one. Provided some much needed guidance and correct part choices. This over the past two days I was able to install all worn/broken parts. And today she fired right up after a long break.

Happy to be cruising the island in this vintage beauty.

old87yota (07-28-2019)