Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 PM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
Wipers not working

Hey folks. Another newb question.
1980 truck, wipers and washer spray are completely out. Never worked since I bought the truck. I've tested the switch and it was working. Took the motor apart, cleaned out all the old grease (earwax) and put in some new stuff. white silicone I think....
So when I get time this weekend I'm going to do some more testing on the wires. My main question right now is I know there is a green relay at the passenger side and if my truck doesn't have this will I be able to solve anything? I have the really basic switch, its just hi, low, and wash. Non tilt column. I hear these relays are quite hard to find.

Also, Im looking at wiper motors online, the reman cardone units are hard to find but oreillys is selling them for eighty. Its a little pricey but maybe I need a new one.. My pins are the same as the one shown on this unit but on a lot of the used motors I'm seeing on ebay they have a circular wire connector and different wire colors. Will I be able to splice wires and patch these motors in or do they correspond to different functions that my switch doesnt have?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...a/pickup?pos=0

Thanks in advance, I'm still learning these old trucks.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
If your truck wiper switching doesn't have INT, then you don't need a relay. You can run a continuity from the combination switch connector to the wiper motor motor connector to see if it's good. You can add power to the motor connector itself from the battery and check the off, slow,and high speeds, for operation. If they don't work then you will need a new motor. Usually wiring doesn't go bad, unless someone chopped it or critters got to them (in my case). You can download the FSM up in the Stickies section and check the section 17 of Body Electrical, for the pin outs and and testing.

I checked mine this way using a 12v power supply, when I replaced my wiring harness during my buildup for proper operation
Old 03-30-2019, 09:03 AM

Ok. So I will run 12v directly to the motor for my next test. Thats so simple I should have thought of it.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2019, 09:58 AM

You only may need to check the single ground wire connection on the motor. Just may need cleaning, simple check first. From my bench testing, between the ground lug (Wh/Bl wire) and the top two lugs on the motor connector, gives you the slow and fast speeds . Apply power to the ground lug, then touch the lugs one at a time and it should run. Good luck

Last edited by Lons81; 03-31-2019 at 11:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
swampedout (04-21-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 01:50 PM

So my motor is working. Ran a line from pos battery to two connections on driver side of wiper motor box and got hi and lo settings. Didn't remove motor from vehicle, kept ground connected.
Now I'm taking my steering wheel off again to take a closer look at my switch.
I bought a relay on ebay thinking this might help me. It's a 4 pin relay that looks like it corresponds to my wiring harness. Can I do damage to the relay or anything else by trying to plug it in? There are wires in the passenger side of the cab that look like they correspond. Someone has jumped two of the terminals.
If it seems like my motor and switch are both working, my problem is probably in this relay/lack of relay area.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:15 PM

Still not sure what's going on here. My switch has continuity through the correct paths as per FSM.
OFF: LB-LR
LO: LB-LR
HI:LO-LW

At the passenger kick panel, I'm getting this continuity:
Off: LB- LR
LO: LB-L
HIGH: LO-L

At my motor the only continuity i get is at OFF: LB-LW
But If I jump LB off the battery I get Low wipers turning.
If I jump LO I get high wipers.

So I'm scratching my head. Maybe when I wake up in the morning I will understand electricity...

Last edited by swampedout; 04-21-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:13 PM

Sounds like a wiring problem. Low should be from L/B to L/W. the others are good. Also make sure the ground wire W/B at the motor, is hooked up when checking. At the motor with connector hooked up, put your probes into the back of the connector and check it that way. L should be power from the fuse,
swampedout (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:46 PM

Ok so you steered me in the right direction and i got the motor running! The metal in the fuse box got a good sanding and now the motor is spinning. And you were right about the colors, i had that one written down wrong.

NOW the problem is the wiper arms arent moving. I cant turn the linkage by hand with the motor off. Should i be able to? It seems like somethings probably rusted in place. Luckily its easy to tell whats going on in there. I might pull the linkage tmrw unless anyone has a better idea

[UPDATE] got the arms freed up. Loosened the nuts and sprayed the links and let them rotate off the windshield for a while. I think they were signing the tin man song.

The motor makes a thud when it reaches the bottom limit. Might switch it out now that i have a spare. Its very loud and some day im sure ill mind.

Also my spray nozzles work. Both of them. I was convinced they wouldnt.

Thanks for your help everyone, especially you lons81!

Last edited by swampedout; 04-26-2019 at 05:01 PM.
old87yota (04-26-2019)