Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wipers stopped working - bad motor? hidden fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wipers stopped working - bad motor? hidden fuse?

Hey guys, we had a huge snow storm a little while back here and when I hopped in my 94 4x4 single cab I tried using the wipers to brush the snow off my windshield but it was too deep. So I scraped it off with my hand, but after that my wipers wouldn't turn on anymore and are stopped where they got stuck. I've checked the fuse box by the clutch pedal, and under the hood. I tested for power on the 20a wiper fuse by clutch and it tested 3.26v. I tried getting a power reading on the harness that plugs into the wiper motor and couldn't get anything. I'm curious if there's some fusible link somewhere that I could check that could have fried, or what could be causing the power loss? Also a link to a wiring diagram would be great so I could test the continuity through the motor to make sure it isn't fried. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I had to drive home in a blizzard today w/o wipers!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can email you a wiring diagram from a 95 if you want. It's for a 4Runner but it should be the same. The only fuse I could see is the 20A WIPER one. You should be getting full battery voltage at both sides of that fuse, with the ignition on, not 3.26V.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 PM

Yeah, double check the fuse, you should also have a relay, so check that to. Hopefully the instructions eric-the-red sends will give you instructions on how to test the relay. A Haynes manual might say also.

Wiper motors rarely go out. It's usually the fuse, relay or a ground. Sometimes the the arms or relay linkage gets loose or bound up. On my kid brother in law's Nissan, the relay arms in the cowl finally got so gummed up and corroded they stopped swiping.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Well something else that I forgot to mention, is that the washer fluid pump isn't working either. When I checked the voltage at the fuse box, I tested the socket with the fuse pulled out, and it was pulling just over 3v, so it wouldn't be the fuse that's the problem. I even switched it out just for fun too. So somehow the voltage is dropping even before it gets to the fuse box. I really would appreciate that wiring diagram, if you could e-mail it to me at snyder.baltics@hotmail.com. Hopefully that'll shed some light on to it. I haven't found any relay for it so that might be the problem. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just emailed you the sections from the manual. Hope it helps.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 PM

ARe you getting good connections at the battery? It won't hurt to clean off any corrosion at the terminals.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Well looking at the diagrams, I'm not seeing where a relay is. And trying to find it under the hood or in the cab is an entirely different story. I'm pretty sure it is a relay problem though because I've heard that a bad relay can reduce voltage ( since I'm getting only 3.25v at the 20A fuse in kickpanel ) so if anyone can explain to me where to find the relay I'd greatly appreciate it. Some day I'll get this thing fixed...