Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Will turn over, but NO fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Will turn over, but NO fuel?

I meant to say it cranks, but there is no fuel. Unfortunately, I've changed A LOT of things on the truck recently so I'm trying to narrow down the culprit.

1977 Toyota Pickup

What I've changed:
  • Emissions delete
  • Install Weber 32/36 carb.
  • Removed 77 fuel tank
  • Install fuel tank & sending unit from a 78
  • Replaced fuel pump, fuel strainer with new
  • New fuel hoses (rubber)
  • Disconnected harness from engine bay to clean/inspect
  • New battery
  • New fuel
Overview of what I've tried so far...

I was ready to try and start the truck after a few years of sitting in the garage. The first thing I did was remove the old tank, and fuel sending unit. I wanted to replace the old tank because it had a good sized dent in it. I had a 78 parts truck that came with a perfect tank. Both the 77 & 78 ran fine the last time it was parked. So before reinstalling the tank I figured I may as was well replace the pump.

Before attempting to start the truck I disconnected it from the filter, and ran some compressed air through the line from the tank side to blow out any debris, or old fuel. A small amount of fuel came out, but otherwise the lines appear to be good. I wanted to make sure fuel was running through the lines before I reconnected it to the filter, and tried starting the engine.

I also made sure the engine had a fresh oil change and was filled to the correct level. The engine turns over but there is no fuel coming from the line. As a test, I've disconnected the oil pressure wire to see if the sensor is bad, but it didn't make any difference. I put about 4.5 gallons of fresh fuel in the tank.

1. Should the pump prime in the 'ON' position, or only when cranking over the engine? From my understanding it won't send fuel until oil pressure builds.
2. I currently do not have the electric choke on the weber connected. Would this cause an issue?
3. Where should I go from here?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. I've made it this far by reading up on a lot of older posts on this forum.

Last edited by Rusker; 08-18-2019 at 03:07 PM. Reason: words
Old 08-19-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Update:

For testing purposes I ran a wire directly from the battery to the fuel pump while the tank was still in the truck. Thankfully the pump runs when I did this and fuel is flowing into the container I setup. I'm really glad this is the case because the last thing I wanted to do was drain the 4 gallons I just put in there, and drop the tank.

I noticed the fuel pump resistor was not plugged in and was really excited when I noticed this, but unfortunately this didn't fix the issue.

So this leaves the resistor, and fuel pump relay. I tested the ohm reading on the resistor and it came back at 1.7

I'm wondering if the next step should be to eliminate both of these from the system, and see if this resolves the issue.