Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

VSV? TVSV? Vacuum Issues?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VSV? TVSV? Vacuum Issues?

The truck:
A red '81 with 7" lift on 33s

Ok, so, here's the deal. I don't have a large running problem, except that it idles very high (over 1,500) and if I try to adjust the idle down to spec (700-ish) it dies. So, here are some pics, I'm hoping somebody can help me identify what certain parts are. (Alarms should be ringing, total newbie here)

In the pic below, I'm pretty sure the distributor advance is hooked up totally wrong (looks like it's going straight into a VSV?

Furthermore, as you may notice, there's a total lack of vacuum pretty much everywhere else. While this isn't necessarily a problem (yet) I'm going to need it to pass smog in August.

Also, I'm pretty sure this hood isn't the one that belongs with my pickup, as it's an '81 with a 22R, this vacuum diagram is from under the hood...

Last but not least, I need a replacement for the P/S gearbox, the local pick & pull was a bust. Anybody?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:29 PM

I should also note that the EGR isn't hooked up, and the pcv isn't connected.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can see a lot of uncapped vacuum lines and vacuum lines going to the wrong place. Whats with the vacuum line on the distributor going to the vsv, it doesn`t belong there.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM

That's a great question. It was that way when I bought it from "the mechanic" (some self-proclaimed "former" mechanic, should have been my first clue to run away, lol)

Is that vsv even in the right place?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Im just guessing here, but if your truck originally had a/c that vsv would be part of the idle up for when the a/c is on. No part of the distributor vacuum advance should be connected to it, and looking at the vacuum diagram it looks like the distributor vacuum advance should only have one vacuum port, not two. So either the distributor or the vacuum advance has been changed at some point, either way its not right. You need to get a factory service manual and go through everything and correct the problems you find. That former self proclaimed mechanic had no clue what he was doing.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by myyota
That former self proclaimed mechanic had no clue what he was doing.
I figured that out right quick, and I'm nowhere near knowing what I'm doing. Although I managed to get to the timing chain and get it all back together with no more oil leak, which is pretty good for a newbie I guess.

Im just guessing here, but if your truck originally had a/c that vsv would be part of the idle up for when the a/c is on.
That would make sense. The dash air controls indicate there was AC at one time, and there are mounts for something on that side of the engine (might be air pump though?)

and looking at the vacuum diagram it looks like the distributor vacuum advance should only have one vacuum port
I think the sticker under the hood is for the wrong vehicle. The '81 might have had a 20r originally? I'll see what I can do about deciphering the FSM. I have a hard time understanding what the big blob is on the pre-85 22r diagram, maybe the carb?

And thanks! I'll see what I can do about fixing all of the vacuum issues, and re-smogging it. I'll try to update here for documentation if nothing else.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
ok let me clear something up real quick, there is a weber carb on there, so... only one line to the distributor is needed. the line that goes to the distributor should be hooked up to the outside section. (closest to the radiator) the other port on the distributor is not needed. That side (at least on an 87 22r yours is an 81-84 by the looks of the valve cover could further tell by taking the valve cover off to see if you have a dual row timing chain which would narrow it down to a 81-82) would actually get connected to the "vacuum rail" and then go to a vsv on the intake. When installing the weber, they do not want you to use that line. (it's for retarding the timing when the engine is cold)

The other side of the distributor advance would go directly into the carb. Which actually now looks like it's going to the back port on the distributor. switch that hose to the outside port as previously mentioned.

The EGR is probably not hooked up because it's tube that is supposed to go into the intake manifold needed to be removed because the Weber carb was installed.

Let me keep looking at that for a few minutes to see what else is going on there.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-20-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 AM

the PCV I cannot tell where the other side of that hose is going to, but with the weber on there is should go to something that looks like the photo below that is in between the carb and the valve cover. This is actually where the EGR tube was that was most likely removed to install the weber.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 AM

here is a better photo of where that egr tube would be and what the tube looks like that was removed. Keep in mine I am going off my 87, but should be really similar.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
could further tell by taking the valve cover off to see if you have a dual row timing chain which would narrow it down to a 81-82
Single row timing chain...what does that mean? I've had the cover off.

Ok, so to summarize, the "outer" port on the advance should go to the carb for full-time vacuum. The "inner" port should just be plugged?

Frick man, thanks for the photos, that's gonna help a TON!

The maroon had the PVC going in under the cover on the carb filter, effectively doing nothing...what a tool.

And, last questions for now, will I need to revert to a stock carb to pass smog? And, can I just plug the port on the egr to stop the exhaust leak from where the air used to be injected into the exhaust manifold? Somebody crimped the air pipes to try to stop a leak at some point.

Last edited by drokliss; 10-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 AM

if there is a pice for a hose under the carb filter that usually goes to where he has that little air filter on the front of the valve cover. Which is fine as long as you tape off the hole under the filter.

and yes the dist. advance goes to the outter port on the dist and to the carb port. the "inner" would get plugged. FYI at idle there is not alot of vacuum from that port on the weber just so you know. once you rev up the motor you will feel the vacuum in that line. this is one of the reasons why weber does not want you to use that back port on the dist.

if you looked at your timing chain single row photo is on the top photo dual row is on the bottom photo: notice with the dual row it looks like there is two chains.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-20-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 AM

Hah. Now my memory is fuzzier....dual-row seems more familiar. So, 81/82 is what I have.

Makes sense. At least now I have some direction, thanks!

Last edited by drokliss; 10-20-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:02 PM

Found the PCV port on the far side of the intake manifold under the carb. It was capped. Uncapped and PCV installed (the right one this time). Should hopefully run a little better, we'll see.

Also started capping some of the exposed vacuum ports, will deal with those later. EGR is next I think.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
your hood it probably from a 79-80, the two years that came with a 20r (as indicated on the diagram)

Here is a link to some pics I took of my 1981 service manuals vacuum diagrams...there are 4 different ones, 2 pages each.
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...acuum%20lines/

Power steering box, TrekkerPaul (he is local to you) may have one but he would probably like to sell it has a complete power steering set up.
Personally I would convert to High steer and go with an IFS steering box, about a $400'ish conversion but it gets rid of the crappy push pull steering these trucks came stock with.

Here is a thread with multiple parts sources:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...rs-etc-221646/
Old 10-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Personally I would convert to High steer and go with an IFS steering box, about a $400'ish conversion but it gets rid of the crappy push pull steering these trucks came stock with.
Definitely agree. Any recommendations on a kit that doesn't require welding? I can drill holes and whatnot, but welding is beyond me for now.

Or does such a thing even exist? It looks like the trail gear plate is the easiest to work with, but still needs to be welded. Guess I'm calling some friends

Last edited by drokliss; 10-22-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Old thread, but I am looking for that 3 port tvsv, anyone have an old oem part or source?
Part number is discontinued, 90925-02069.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 83SR5LB
Old thread, but I am looking for that 3 port tvsv, anyone have an old oem part or source?
Part number is discontinued, 90925-02069.
PM me a picture of what you are looking for, I may have one lying around