Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Vacuum line assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vacuum line assistance

Hello everyone been browsing forums for a little while now, first time posting, (be gentle) have a question concerning the vacuum lines. Picked up an 83 Hilux maybe 2 months ago and instantly fell in love, had to replace the timing chain because previous owner was letting timing guide rattle, also had to do some heavy tuning on the carburetor. Now I've moved on to the vacuum lines but I find myself stumped. Line assembly did not match the under hood decal or the diagram I found from the factory service manual. I have been able to almost recreate the assembly in those diagrams but I have a question or two. I'm trying to identify this part, I believe it's the VCS, however it has three ports instead of the one in the diagrams, ports are labeled s,x,z. If it is the vcs is it ok to plug the unused ports? My other question is about these two diaphragms(?) Under the intake manifold, inbetween starter and oil filter:
These had lines running from them but are not listed in either of the diagrams I'm using. Are they part of the ac system? Is it ok to plug them? How do they fit in and what do they do? Finally can't find a line should fit into this port on the side of the carb: (the one above the two lower lines) again, should I plug this or did I miss something? Its not listed under the hood. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this and for your patience with this young wrench.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:47 PM

So after reading around I learned its the pair/reed valve assembly, and as far as I can tell it's fine to plug it off. Hoping someone can verify this. The other unit I wanted to identify is apparently not a VCS but a VCV. I'm still wondering if there's a way to use it instead.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Just answered your newest post on this. This thread sheds a little more light.
That 3-port valve you're holding looks like the VCV labelled on the diagrams for years other than '83 Cali-emissions. What probably happened is that the VCS was a brief between-year part so your truck never had one depending which month it rolled out of the factory. Or the original failed and was replaced with the next closest thing as they only installed the single-port VCS that one year.

Just an fyi, the moderators don't like multiple threads started for the same thing. Sometimes it takes a day or two for someone to chime in so be patient next time.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 PM

Thank you for the information, and I'll be more mindful of how much I post in the future.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Angry

Is an 83 supposed to have pair valve assembly? I haven't seen a diagram thats included it. I know it isn't vital, but id like to find out how it should be connected.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:22 PM

Also any tips on how to use the VCV in place of the VCS? The three ports instead of one is throwing me off.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You're asking good questions, but I've only worked on my 22re which lacks those particular emission systems. I've got the various year emissions diagrams in the Haynes manual. Got one? I can post photos of the various years if it'll help.

Generally people with carb'd trucks give write-ups on desmogging them. Nice to see someone going through the effort of restoring those old nox-reducing systems, but it might not be as simple as you want it to be.

There's a few guys on here with intact emissions on their early 22r's. Anyone care to chime in?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 PM

I have a Chilton, a digital copy of the 83 fsm, and the decal under the hood. The Chilton and under hood decal make no mention of pair/reed valve. The fsm has a reed valve listed in the Fed Rn and Canada Rn schematic, however in that diagram its only one valve with one port. That same Fed. Rn and Canada Rn diagram lists the vcv instead of the vcs but the "hard lines" that run around the valve cover don't match the ones in the California diagram (there's more of them and some in different spots). So I'm not sure how those would match up. I will try to post these diagrams I'm talking about, maybe someone will see something I missed.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:53 PM

Fed. And Canada Rn. 4x2

California Rn.

Both from the 83 fsm.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just pulled out all my Calif emissions.
There was a reed valve, hard lines, etc., all in a pile now.
I can take some pics tomorrow evening if you need me too.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:49 AM

It could help, but I'm more trying to figure out how the vcv hooks up in place of the vcs and how the pair/reed valves fit into the rest of the vacuum system. I don't suppose you have any pictures of the lines and how they were connected?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM

Hope this helps.
I did label some of the lines, thinking if I had to put it all back.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum line assistance-100_4332.jpg   Vacuum line assistance-100_4333.jpg   Vacuum line assistance-100_4334.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 PM

I appreciate the pics farrier but I guess we have different emissions setups, my eavc has two additional valves on it (pair/reed) that vacuum switch with the blue top however must be the vcs. I'm curious where that electrical line ran to, and if you might be interested in selling it and your eavc? Pretty sure those are the only two parts I need to get my truck back to stock California emissions.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM

You can have them both, I just need a little for shipping.
I'll figure out where that plug went, tomorrow evening.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:11 PM

Thank you farrier, I really appreciate that. I'll message you sometime tomorrow to work out the details.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 PM

I have an 81 that has that part on it. Toyota was scrambling to keep up with changing ca emissions during those years. My 81 is a complete mystery. Apparently Toyota had a lot of trucks built and ready to ˟˟˟˟ when ca changed the emission standards. They had to scramble to figure out how to make the trucks pass ca emissions so they could sell them that year...

Long story short, I have some diagrams from Weber that will probably help you. I don't live near the truck right now but can probably help you through a lot of it by memory. PM me if you don't have it resolved yet and want the help.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Hey everyone haven't updated this thread in awhile but wanted to let y'all know where I'm at, farrier was kind enough to send out those emissions parts (thanks again man) and I replaced the reed valve with the original eacv. I also swapped the vcv that was on there with the original vcs. It's made a noticeable difference in performance, especially on startup. The only thing left to replace/work on is a vacuum switch that threads into the side of the air intake manifold. It looks like this:

unfortunately mine broke while installing the eacv, and I'm wondering if anyone here has a spare they could send my way, or maybe noticed one at a junkyard or something. Not much in the way of pick n pulls in my neck of the woods and I believe these sell for 60 online (ridiculous right?) So if anyone knows where I might find one for cheap I'd love to hear from ya. This is the last part I need to get my truck back to stock emissions and while I'm not entirely opposed to buying one, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask the community here. As always any help is appreciated, thanks y'all.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:09 PM

I got one of those also. Give me a few days to get that shipped. Wife has surgery this week, so time is a little tight.
Same deal as before. I think I still have your address.

I use to live in Livermore, Pleasanton area back in early '80's. Nice country.
I remember going to a dealer lot out there and looking at a Toyota 4x4 brand new.
But I was too poor at the time.

By the way, the truck I have now lived its whole life in Grass Valley, CA.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Farrier you are the man, and small world, I have some friends down in grass valley, nice area.