Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

torque rod mod with 3" lift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque rod mod with 3" lift?

Wondering if anyone can tell me if the stock torque rod set up will work with a 3" spring lift without any modifications. I did a little research online and some say only if it's more than 3" it will require modifying the stock torque rod set up. Is this true? If so why would you not need to with any lift less than 3"? Appreciate the help.
Thanx
Old 02-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Have seen some remove it even with push-pull steering. Could just convert to high steer.

Who's kit you looking at using??
Old 02-03-2017, 04:39 PM

I already installed it. Rough Country. Doesn't seem to have any issues with torque rod on so maybe I'm fine.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by osteshades
I already installed it. Rough Country. Doesn't seem to have any issues with torque rod on so maybe I'm fine.
rock it then!!
Old 04-05-2017, 02:49 PM

Just installed OME leaf packs they are supposed to give 2 inches i have push pull steering and the only thing i have noticed is now my steering wheel is turned maybe 45 degrees to the left
. Leads me to wonder if i should be concerned about my torque rod, my drag link seems like its at a fine angle.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely looks like the caster or toe is out of whack. Unless that's one of those cool wide angle lenses. Seems like both tires are turned outward at the front

Last edited by flg8r22; 04-05-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
What did the alignment shop say when you took it in post lift?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by osteshades
Wondering if anyone can tell me if the stock torque rod set up will work with a 3" spring lift without any modifications. I did a little research online and some say only if it's more than 3" it will require modifying the stock torque rod set up. Is this true? If so why would you not need to with any lift less than 3"? Appreciate the help.
Thanx
Found out that with the 3" lift torque rod interferes with the sway bar well before full articulation. I solved this by buying a torque rod bracket extention made by Skyjacker for about $35. This raised the rod back up to more or less stock angle. 👍
Old 04-19-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bufkin.r.w
Just installed OME leaf packs they are supposed to give 2 inches i have push pull steering and the only thing i have noticed is now my steering wheel is turned maybe 45 degrees to the left
. Leads me to wonder if i should be concerned about my torque rod, my drag link seems like its at a fine angle.
A little late in replying, but steering wheel change is to be expected I think. The reason your steering wheel is turned is because the drag link is pulling on the steering knuckle to make up for the extra length created by the added 2 inches in height. Since the drag link is non-adjustable you have to correct the steering wheel by pulling it off and reposition it (19 mm nut and possibly a steering wheel puller - easy). The same happened to me when I gave my 82 a 3 inch lift. Not a big deal.