Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Tranny swap

Old 04-20-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Tranny swap

I'm looking to swap the trannies in both my trucks. I plan to take the G52 out of my 87 and throw it into my 83. Before undertaking this project though, I'd like to know the gear ratios on the G52 vs. the L52 that's currently in there. I know that the G52 sticks are a bit different because they were designed for a bench, which is good because I plan to put a bench in the 83. But if do, I know the G52 is longer than the L, and I wanted to know if it's longer in the front or the back, i.e. will my shifter positions change?

I will also want to be able to put my original stick cover in my 83, instead of the rubber boots that came stock in my 87. Is there a way? Or will I have to engineer this?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Per this chart the gear ratios look identical
https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/t...ar-ratio-chart

I had a W50 in my 82 (was 2wd so YMMV) and the shfiter was shifted toward the back of the truck about 3". I didn't have any issues with the bench seat but then again I only had one shifter to worry with

As far as the boot, I imagine you could re-use the stock one but you'll likely have to move the mounts to make them line up with the shifters.

I have to ask whats the reason for the swap? Seems like a lot of work for not a lot of gain IMO. A lot of people (myself included) are searching for a good G52, so provided its in good shape I'd resell it.

Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm on my fourth L52 and it's running time has been less than a year since I got it. Of course I took off the tires that the person had on before me and I put on tires more reminiscent to what that transmission was meant to handle and haven't had any problems with it since, except for the shifter forks binding up because of a bad shifter fork carriage. I've heard that the G52 is significantly stronger than the L52, and since I've driven both of them and changed both of them I can attest to the superior strength of the G52 vs. the L52. I can tell that just by the weight alone.

I would like to swap transmissions because of the durability, not ratios. I just wanted to ensure that the ratios were the same, that the G52 didn't have higher gears, that'd negatively affect my performance.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Later G,W, R series transmissions are 4" longer than L series. Dunno how the shifter placement falls in relation to L and G series.

you are gonna need a shorter rear drive shaft and longer front driveshaft. You will also need to relocate the crossmember or fab some sort of plate to relocate the T/C mount

Search this Thread