Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Tell me if this trip is a bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Tell me if this trip is a bad idea

Well, my truck is practically completely rebuilt. I know a lot of people who work in ceramic arts, and there's a big conference in Phoenix the second week of April. They've mentioned I should check it out just because it's basically a huge party. I can't really afford that sort of thing, but...well I'll shorten the story...the local business/artist-residency program here will pay for my gas & lodging if I bring some work and pedestals down. I'd have a few things in my bed, and I'd be pulling an 8ft enclosed trailer. Not sure of the weight but it'll be well within the vehicles listed limits. Won't be light, though.

My truck has made it to Utah & back, about 1,000 miles round trip. This will be a little more than twice that. I'm getting my rear brakes cleaned & adjusted, fronts are pretty new. This truck has a rebuilt engine & tranny, new clutch. Original radiator (and this is one of my bigger concerns) but it was pressure tested while my truck was in peices and it tested out. I do worry a bit about overheating, but the radiator is the only original equipment, and it did test out.

I've read a bit about what I should look at before towing, but any ideas would help...including if I'm stupid to be thinking of towing a trailer from Montana to Phoenix with an '83 pickup.

I plan to take it slow & easy. I'm having a guy here build me a bumper then I'll wire my truck for the trailer.

?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont see why not
it sounds like fun and it sounds like your truck will easily make it

something you might want to look into though is if the trailer has trailer brakes, cause they can be Very helpfull when stoping. if it does have brakes then you will need to look into getting a controler for them, it will be about $100 or so
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM

ive driven from sierra vista AZ to worland wyoming, probably close to the same distance not pulling a trailer and it sucked. i dont know the route your going but i would recommend getting your boss to rent you a uhaul pickup, that way you dont have to put the miles or strain on yours. just my .02
-turner
Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Borrow a relative or friend's V8 truck?

Rob
Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 AM

A summertime trip to Phoenix would be questionable but since conditions are more favorable in April (i.e., not 100+ degrees) it will be a little easier on your truck.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Compare the cost of a rental truck to their less than generous offer. The IRS would allow you about $1,160 in mileage deduction alone, so using that as a guide + hotel would equal far more.

Then you have the expense of a bumper and hitch. Note that factory max tow ratings are usually based on a frame mounted hitch. A bumper mounted hitch is less.

Then you have to drag everything over ??? mountain passes in a truck without much reserve power at altitude, creating heat, wear and tear on everything. Plus it isn't much fun keeping things under control on Interstates when being passed by semis and their bow wakes.

Altogether, I'd pass, it isn't worth the wear and tear on the truck or you.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:30 AM

8ft enclosed may not be heavy by a trailer standards, buts its heavy for a 22R.

I just got back from a 2000 miles round trip from Fort Collins, CO to Johnson Valley, CA. I drove out my 88 4runner with the 3.0L, 5.29s, 35s, etc. I pulled a very small camping trailer. Smaller/lighter than a M416 military trailer. It weighs around 600lbs. I had gear for three of us just to camp and some spare parts and tools. I would say around 1500lbs total of gear in the cab and trailer and us. I swore I would never do it again. I never had an issue, but I averaged 11-12mpg for the whole trip and was constantly in and out of 4th and 3rd gear. 5th was only used on down hills and I am pretty much overgeared for the rig.

If you can fit most everything into the truck alone, then I would say OK. But, I will never do that run again with my trailer until I can do a 3.4L swap. FWIW, your 22R has around 115-120hp. My 3.0L has around 150-155hp

Last edited by ScottyC; 03-11-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM

I will tell you, I pulled my 16ft car hauler with my yota (before the new engine, tires, lift, SAS, etc) and it was very slow and I wont do it again (I dont have a 12+in drop hitch), It weighs about 1200lbs, and it was sluggish, had to use 4th instead of 5th, etc.

Now a box trailer is different, you also have wind resistance to factor in! I towed a single axle uhaul trailer with my chevy, and I couldnt use overdrive, it would shift between 3rd and overdrive on flat land, but I can use overdrive when I tow the toyota on the car hauler!!

IMHO I wouldnt do it if you were towing, but if you can fit everything in the truck, then I would say have at it!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by BT17R
Compare the cost of a rental truck to their less than generous offer. The IRS would allow you about $1,160 in mileage deduction alone, so using that as a guide + hotel would equal far more.

Then you have the expense of a bumper and hitch. Note that factory max tow ratings are usually based on a frame mounted hitch. A bumper mounted hitch is less.

Then you have to drag everything over ??? mountain passes in a truck without much reserve power at altitude, creating heat, wear and tear on everything. Plus it isn't much fun keeping things under control on Interstates when being passed by semis and their bow wakes.

Altogether, I'd pass, it isn't worth the wear and tear on the truck or you.

I don't really understand what you're saying in that first paragraph.

The bumper is attached to the frame, right? If I'm getting a bumper with a hitch receiver welded underneath it, how is it different from a separate one mounted to the frame? They also offered to help pay for the bumper. I've been needing a new one anyways, this trip would just make it happen sooner, and get some of it paid for.

I do agree about the wear & tear, that's why I figure I'd just keep it slow. I do expect it not to be fun at times. I guess keep the advice coming, it is a little discouraging to hear from people who have done similar trips who say they'd never do it again...

To clarify, this isn't a work trip. My freind is the director of the organization (which is a non-profit). Usually they have a freind or someone else willing to drive a trailer down do it. The usual person bailed, and they looked into a leased vehicle and the insurance was too much for the budget. I'm not being paid for this or working as an employee. This is freinds telling me if I want to come down & hang out, and I'm willing to haul the trailer, they'll pay gas and lodging plus help with the bumper expenses.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

1st paragraph for reference. See what U-Haul would charge, use the conservative IRS mileage deduction for comparison, and judge if their offer is worth it.

Your description made it sound like you were mounting a ball to the hole in the OEM bumper. IIRC, the OEM bumper is then mounted to spring brackets that limit load. A frame mounted hitch is better.

Don't get me going about non-profits. The CEO of the Oregon branch of Goodwill non-profit makes $800,000 a year and takes his girlfriend on European trips that come out of their budget (according to an expose a few years ago). Not saying anything about your friends operation, but my antenna goes up whenever someone plays the non-profit card.

OTOH, why not just fly Southwest for $98 RT to hang out with your friends?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM

$98? Not from here, although I guess it's worth checking into. It would probably be cheaper to drive to Salt Lake and fly out of there. We don't get cheap flights out of Montana, and especially not Helena.

I hear you about the non-profits. This isn't a big one like those, but I'm guessing they've got a decent budget.

I'll need to look into the IRS thing. I've heard a little from my non-profit freinds about mileage deductions but I don't know much about them. It pays volunteers back for the miles they put on their vehicles, correct? Do I not get the deduction if they pay for my gas? Anyways, I'll look it up.

This is a "business" which allows ceramic artists to come work in a residency program. They typically have around 8 residents and supply studio space and kilns. In addition to that, they have a clay business where they sell clay, and they auction off work every now and then. I think they're doing ok, but they are a Montana non-profit and the director, while I don't know what he makes, isn't rich even by Montana standards. They've got some money, but the fact that they don't just rent a u-haul and even pay a driver means they've got a tight budget. The guy's a good freind and he knows what I've put into my truck. Anyways, whether it's a good idea or not (in my mind) is how my truck will do, not a monetary gain or if somebody thinks they're trying to screw me.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 83
Anyways, whether it's a good idea or not (in my mind) is how my truck will do, not a monetary gain or if somebody thinks they're trying to screw me.
Didn't mean to imply anyone wants to screw you or for you to realize a net gain. I'm saying you should receive fair (whatever that means to you) value for your vehicle depreciation based on 2K miles.

I don't bother deducting volunteer mileage at tax time, it isn't worth the audit red flag and I don't travel that far transporting dogs to adoption events. But, for 2K miles, I'd keep a log signed at your departure and arrival points by the bosses and then claim it on itemized deductions.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM

Yeah I hear you. I know it's a lot of wear on my truck, but in my mind, I heard "free trip to Phoenix", so then I started figuring out "ok, can my truck do it, and how brutal will the trip be". In my slightly younger days I would do this without a second thought, but now all sorts of ideas of being broken down halfway there come into my head. Figured I'd hear from some other people whether they think it's just stupid, mildly stupid, or no big deal as long as I'm ready for slow going.

I will take a look at the trailer, and how much stuff is being moved, along with a weight estimate. If I could get it all in the back of my truck that would be awesome. It's times like this (but really only times like this) that I wish I had a longbed!

Thanks for the input, if anybody's got any more, keep it coming! I don't care if I'm going really slow, that's really not a problem for me. I'm pretty into the journey, too. Just want to know if I'm exceeding my truck's limits, or really pushing them.

I have this image in my head of a Tacoma I saw in Salt Lake a year or so ago. Not the newest big Tacomas, probably a 96 or so. I'm sure it was a V6 and a bit beefier than my truck, and I'm not saying these trucks are meant for this, but they were in Utah, with Washington plates, pulling a full size (huge) airstream trailer, with stuff stacked in a rack on top, plus they had a topper on the truck, gear filled to the top of it, and a rack on the topper with 2 or 3 bikes, cruising down through construction right through Salt Lake City on I-15.

I figure if they can pull that off, this is nothing.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Pulling a trailer that's more than 1000 pounds sucks. The truck's too light to manage it. I throw 3 dirt bikes on a trailer (total weight about 900 pounds), and that's as far as I'll go with mine.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Alright, thanks. I'll find out what kind of weight I'm looking at.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 PM

I'd say make a trip out of it if you decide to do it. Take detours and such to see things so that way you're off the interstate more. And trailer brake for sure if you're gonna have any sort of weight in there, don't want that to come around on you going down a hill, plus it'll save your service brakes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 PM

I drove my old 95 22re truck over the rocky mtns 3 times, and all 3 times sucked big time!!!!!!! I had the box totally packed including a 650cc motorcycle and I had to go down to 25mph on the biggest grades. in like 2nd gear, even semis were riding me hahaaha.

I would not have been able to pull a trailer thru the rockies.

I have driven a mustang gt and LT-1 cadillac fleetwood through the same passes with ease at 80+ lmao.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 AM

so, did you decide what your doing yet?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:41 AM

Well, I went out & looked at the trailer yesterday. Not an 8ft...more like 10 or 12. The guy is looking into what a U-haul would cost, but if it's too much, we may load the trailer and hook it up to my truck and take a drive up the pass to see how bad it does. Not completely sure about it yet. We'll see!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If you are talking about 4th of July pass or any of the other ones on the way out of Helena, I would say not to attempt it with your truck. Unless you are adding an Electric brake controller (if trailer has electric brakes) it is gonna suck stopping that thing IMO.

Haven't been to montana for a couple of years but just remember it being a lot of passes getting in and out...Good luck..

Quick Reply: Tell me if this trip is a bad idea