Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

starting my 83 2rz swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also according to the diagram can I just skip the relay and run the thicker b-w wire straight to my starter from my stock 83 ign switch ?? or will that be too much power and/or screw up the circuit for the 1st ign wire?? thanks for all the help moebass !!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:14 PM

the fun stuff begins. don't take short cuts in your wiring, it will take longer to fix them later. one thing i notice is that the computer needs to see the starter wire, i missed that and did not get fast idle on cold start. to protect your old wiring, use the relay in the fusebox for your starter, does your truck have a clutch switch for the starter? basically do you have to push the clutch pedal to start your truck? am2 is your second continous power feed. it does alt. and dist. you should run it. that is part of your stock harness anyway. that will decrease the load on am1. am1 will carry the burden of the small starter amperage (7.5 if you use a relay) or 20 amp if you don't. the battery takes the hit directly with no fuse of about 80 to 110 amps. also igition 1 and acc. granted, acc1 shuts off when you go to start so it doesn't count. your computer wiring will be easy. being that your truck has a dizzy, hooking your stock tach up ( if you have one) should not require the resistor mod behind the gauge. i hope this helps you keep going.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 PM

well i tried startin it today!!!!!! It cranked over but my 7.5a starter fuse will blow after about two cranks... I have the fuse wired in as an inline. Although if i put a 10a fuse in it will keep cranking and i can start to smell hot wires but can't tell where it's comin from any body got suggestions??????
Old 04-15-2009, 05:51 AM

your starter has a 4 gauge wire running to it from the battery correct? did you use the relay in the new fuse box? smelling hot wire is not good. check to make sure you do not have a direct short on the starter lead from the switch. you may be able to feel the wire that is getting hot and solve the problem that way.

Last edited by Moebass; 04-15-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM

ok things are looking better I hope... I got the motor to run but it revs up and dies after about 5 seconds I don't smell anything else burning and the 7.5a fuse is not blowing???? Also I haven't made any changes to the wiring or felt any hot wires??? suggestions gladly accepted
Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 PM

make sure your engine grounds are good. have more then one. one to the head and one to the block at least. the one for the head usually goes right to the firewall. is your maf sensor plugged in? do you have oil in the engine, fuel pump relay running after initial prime, possibly a crazy vaccuum leak, did you remove egr and remember to block intake manifold, try giving it gas to see if it will run longer, did you have the starter signal hooked up for the ecu, mine did the same thing and it was a simple fix. i honestly cannot remember what it was. maybe it will stay running after a few more starts.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 PM

ohhhh I don't have a ground going from the block to the frame I have one on the head and starter... Yes my maf sens is hooked up lol the only thing missing is the airbox and exhaust past the downpipe... I tried giving it gas while it was running and it just dies immediately ???
Old 04-15-2009, 07:44 PM

Could it possibly be something with the computer not knowing that the engines running and then not communicating with the motor ???
Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM

do you have o2's hooked up, mine did not like to run until i had more then the exhaust manifold.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM

If your emissions ain't as bad as ours you have nothing to worry about but let me ask all listening and before I do let me say sorry I'm not trying to hi jack you so anybody with a responce please pm me so how hard is it to do this trans plant and get everything rite and pass smog and forgive me but 2rz 3rz what is the diffrence????????? thanks guys and I apolagize again blueridder2207 nice rig goodluck I can't wait tisee finished product.....
Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM

whoosh it's been really busy around these parts lol Time for an update!! well I have pretty much everything completed. I also decided to go with dual transfer cases and customized my stock crossmember. Going with a dual setup requires a shorter rear shaft and longer front which mean an all around better angle for drivelines. I had Brian at drivelinetech build it for me and I am very pleased this guy knows his stuff and gives you your moneys worth. At any rate I am down to diagnsing engine problems I'm having trouble with keeping the motor running after it's started. It will finaly run continously after about 5-8 starts but that seems like it's once in a blue moon does any one have a good idea for a place to start?
Old 06-12-2009, 05:38 AM

did you hook up the starter wire to the computer? is your fuel pump relay working right? i had this problem and i honestly forgot what caused it. i jumped my fuel pump so it ran constantly and that showed me my relay was sticking off. eventhough the ecu told it to prime, it didn't. i think the starter wire is the real problem. without that signal it does not know to prime and then run the fuel pump relay. good luck.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 PM

thanks again moebass! I will check the wiring again and get back to you. The fuel pump came out of a tacoma with 380,000 miles so maybe it's gettin tired? When it does run it will rev up if i rev it slowly but then hits a certain rpm and wants to die. Also when evere i try to give it gas fast it will just want to die? I have the circuit opening relay connected into the starter relay for the fuel pump. How did you dial in your TPS? Thanks
Nate
Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 PM

never had to play with the tps. the fuel pump may be tired, 380k is great milage on a yoda. my truck did the same exact thing, i would try to keep it running and it wouldn't. i think it was the fuel pump relay. maybe it wasn't grounded good. it would prime and then not run. ofcourse that might have been from not having the start wire hook up at the ecu. the tps should not need adjusting unless you removed it. give me an update after checking the wiring.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:26 PM

alright I'm getting somewhere i was able to use a jump wire on the circuit opening relay to test the pump and it came right on. Also while it was running i turned the motor over and sure enough it runs like a top and doesn't have the dieing issues or cut out. Now when i reconnect the relay it doesn't want to run good it reverts back to run like crap mode lol
Old 06-15-2009, 04:45 PM

i will post a pic

Last edited by blueridder2207; 06-15-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Last edited by blueridder2207; 06-15-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 PM

it sounds like your ecu does not know the truck is running. are you using the fuel pump relay from the tacoma. it was the same as the one in my 93. you are on the right track. hate to ask again, but did you run a wire from the main ignition switch to the ecu to show the start signal. i think that is what i needed to do to get the fuel pump to run after the truck was started. i believe the ecu sends a ground signal out to the relay to latch it while the motor is running. it will be much nicer to figure this out then to add a fuel pump switch. have fun.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:26 PM

well I've taken the green machine out on its first trail. Did great on the trail but it hated the road it was struggling to keep up with anything. my thought is that TPS isn't workin right because when i test the prongs with throotle fully open i'm only getting 2.95 it should be anywhere from 3.3-10. Does anybody have a clue as to why this is????
Old 06-29-2009, 06:49 PM

my truck was a little doggy after the swap but it was due to the throttle cable coming loose from the bracket. i could only get half throttle. did you wire up the obd2 port. if you have check engine lights, your truck will not have its full potential. the computer will stop using certain sensors when there is error codes. this is a good place to start. good luck. btw, do you like this motor better than the 22re? i like mine a lot, now i am looking to supercharge it.

Quick Reply: starting my 83 2rz swap