Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

starter spins without turning key when trying to jump start

Old 04-15-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BURR2OF4
im not sure if i completely understand your question. besides the big heavy gauge cable that goes to the starter motor there are 3 extra wire coming off the positive post. one is plain white and it goes to a plug that is not being used. i think it was for the original radio but i could be wrong. the second one is black w red and it goes to the ignition switch. the third on is red w green and it goes to my light switches. the starter control wire is black w white
You have light switches in the engine compartment? Sorry, your truck is modified, and I won't be of any help anymore. My question attempts to determine if you can tell the wire that goes to the positive post (fat red wire to starter) from the negative wire clamp (usually black with yellow stripe connected to body, unless replaced/modofied). I replaced the ground wire with a fat black cable, connected to the frame AND engine block on my truck, becasue that little ground wire is too small. It sounds like you found the clamp that goes to the positive post on the battery, but maybe it was modified.

Sorry, but you need a mechanic. I can't help. All I can say is my previous posts are accurate on determining if your starter is getting the right power at the right time.

Last edited by 83pingpong; 04-15-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 83pingpong
You have light switches in the engine compartment? Sorry, your truck is modified, and I won't be of any help anymore. My question attempts to determine if you can tell the wire that goes to the positive post (fat red wire to starter) from the negative wire clamp (usually black with yellow stripe, unless replaced/modofied). It sounds like you found the clamp that goes to the positive post on the battery, but maybe it was modified.

Sorry, but you need a mechanic. I can't help.
no i dont have any light switches under my hood all 3 of those wires go into the main wire harness that goes thru the firewall into the cab. yes both my main cables have been replaced. + is plain red and - is plain black