Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Speedo lights to LEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speedo lights to LEDs?

I can't remember what the back looked like, but before I pull this thing out again, for those of you that have changed your speedo lights over to LEDs, was it just pull the old ones out and twist in LEDs?
or were there other mods to make those work?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:50 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Nope, that's it. If they don't light up, they might be in backwards. (LEDs are polarized)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM

Thanks! I just ordered these. Some for the speedo and the others that might need lighting up more.
They work?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
Nope, that's it. If they don't light up, they might be in backwards. (LEDs are polarized)
Will those work?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:46 AM

Looks like they should, good luck!
Old 11-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i used T10's in my 81, i think it took 12 or 14. Make sure you clean the contacts with some emory cloth or something for good contact
Old 11-26-2017, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
i used T10's in my 81, i think it took 12 or 14. Make sure you clean the contacts with some emory cloth or something for good contact
Thanks.
Here's what's going on now
  • With both the NEW and the OLD twist in connectors NO LEDS WORK> These LEDs are new and the specs say they will fit my year model.
    THIS is what I bought THIS is what I bought
    . I even bought another at an Autozone (paid 10 bucks for one) to test and it doesn't work in either connector either.
  • The old original bulbs work better in the new connectors, which tell me the connectors were the problem, just not making good contact anymore.
So, being that the connectors seem to be the problem and the new ones can correct the dimness, I can replace the old bulbs with new bulbs and probably be ok.

My questions are:
#1; why do NONE of the LED's work when I know other guys have replaced, in the same model truck, LEDs and they work fine.
#2; Saying I'll go back with the original bulb, what number is the bulb? The numbers have all worn off. 168?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2017, 05:20 AM

Did you try flipping any of the led bulbs around? They are polarized, meaning they only function if positive and negative line up.

Try flipping half of them around, that should tell you if they're in backwards, or if there's another problem.

Also to note, some led replacements don't work with dimmers. Try the led bulbs with a 9v battery, they should light.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by irab88
Did you try flipping any of the led bulbs around? They are polarized, meaning they only function if positive and negative line up.
Try flipping half of them around, that should tell you if they're in backwards, or if there's another problem.
THERE ^^^^^^WAS MY ANSWER!!! Thanks!

Ok, I got it all fixed. After being told the LEDs were polarized, I didn't know that, I took all of them out.
Hooked up the cluster with a spot that I could get my hand in and tested each of them. I used the left turn signal slot because it was convenient.
I had to flip more than half of the LEDs in the new connectors for them to light up in that turn signal slot. So then I had 10 working LEDs.
I put them all back in the cluster but some of them still didn't work.
So, I took the cluster back out, took them all out and LIGHTLY sanded each copper or brass or whatever it is around each of the holes that they screwed into.
Put them all back in and badabing...they all work now.
I appreciate the help!
Mark
Old 11-26-2017, 06:56 PM

Before and after