Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Rhino Lining a whole truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 04:34 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Rhino Lining a whole truck

Rhino Lining a whole truckI don't know how I feel about this. ToyOkie78 posted pictures of his red truck that's Rhino Lined, and it looks great. My truck isn't to bad, but in my eyes it's ruff. I do body and paint, but really don't want to make my really slick, so I've thought about doing it to mine. My concern with the stuff is isn't it nearly impossible to get off? I guess once it's done, you have no need to get it off. I've seen Jeeps, and full size trucks done in Rhino lining and am really on the fence about doing it. What's every ones thoughts on it? I've seen mat finishes also, not Rhino Lined, but mat paint. My truck is white original paint, and I thought about a mat white paint on it, or tan, or gray.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
I am personally not a fan of Rhino Lining a whole truck. It is pretty much permanent. If your truck needs body work after that, it may be much easier to just buy a new truck.

I think it looks kind of tacky, actually.

I think a mat paint would look good. If the paint is going to get scratches in it just with how you use your truck, you don't need a show car quality paint job. Just paint it so it looks decent for you and not worry too much if you get a rock chip or scratches in the paint, plus it will be easily repairable compared to Rhino Liner.

Just my thoughts.

In the end, it is your Truck, so you can do what you want.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

If you Rhinoline the truck that will not be a selling feature down the road. I would fix the body and paint it. Body work is time consuming and really sucks, painting I don't mind. I freshened mine up last year, only used a litre of paint, so a $40 paint job.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks. I'm really not feeling the Rhino lined exterior. I think a mat finish paint is what I'll do. Maybe spray the lower rockers with black rhino liner, or I guess tinted to the body color. I do my own bodywork, use to do body and paint for a living, so it's not a big deal. While I think the truck is ruff, it's only a little rust in a few places, and some minor dents, nothing major. Here's pictures of it from today after a much needed bath. The inside is all cleaned up as well. It needs the floors patched, the rockers patched, and the lower front fenders, There's a few places on the bed sides where the wheel wells attach to the bed side that needs attention.and some small dents. The white that's on it is original paint, I think a couple of places have been spotted in over the years, but not many. I've always pictured it a mat Tan, so that might be what it gets. No rhino lining.

The following users liked this post:
jazz1 (06-21-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
So on my truck I purchased it already lined & I'm "ok" with it. There's a misconception that it's nearly impossible to remove once applied which isn't the real case. I have actually removed some out of my bed with nothing more than gel paint remover. You apply it, let is sit 15 minutes & it bubbles up & wipes off easily. With that said the coated trucks have some issues, at least mine does.

One thing in if not prepped perfectly it can chip or flake off in some areas where it didn't bond well & mine has a few spots. Another issue is if rust is left in any degree under it say at a seam you missed it will grow under it, my bed has a few of these I'm starting to find. Repairing sections is not hard at all, no harder than paint really, my bed has been recoated in a 2 foot section & I promise you you'd not be able to show me where. One last issue is vain but if you like to polish & shine your truck this stuff isn't for you, it will never glow like paint. You can apply an oily substance like you'd shine your dash with & it looks great but then dust clings ( I use petroleum jelly if going to a local car show )

It is tougher than paint as a whole, my trucks been on its side & no one can tell & tree limbs and brush scratches don't show once washed & mines had it's share of them, but that's it's only real plus. If i could go back in time I'd ask the previous owner not to line it but to late for that so I'll deal with it. I'm sure one day I'll remove it once it bothers me enough, that time hasn't come yet.

Last edited by ToyOkie78; 03-14-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to add info
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by ToyOkie78
So on my truck I purchased it already lined & I'm "ok" with it. There's a misconception that it's nearly impossible to remove once applied which isn't the real case. I have actually removed some out of my bed with nothing more than gel paint remover. You apply it, let is sit 15 minutes & it bubbles up & wipes off easily. With that said the coated trucks have some issues, at least mine does.
Rhino lining old vehicles is not my cup of tea, but your truck looks good with it:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f151.../#post52419895
Old 03-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks man, appreciate that

Rust coming through, either the p.o. missed it or moisture is getting in from back side & under it at it's edge? You'll also see the cracks which have been there for a couple of years

Seam wanting to flake off & will in time. I suspect body flex or poor prep work.

Last edited by ToyOkie78; 03-14-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Add pics
Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did mine last spring. One month later I was rear ended. The liner held up quite well. The tailgate was dented and no cracks in the liner. On the fender flares the liner chipped. Because the part flexes that makes sense. Other than that I've had no problems.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:13 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Rust is magnified on white vehicles. Possibly scrub it down and apply a paint with some flattening agent or squirt it with a base coat of your choice. Light colours hide dents. I shot this ford with a base coat mismatch I got cheap at paint shop. You don't want flat, its horrible to try and clean.

I have a '41 IHC i painted flat,,,getting birdcrap or bugs off was a real challenge. I ended up squirting a light coat of satin clear on the the truck so I could keep it clean