Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
No Problem,
Nice to see the flag out there.
M I Z......
Old 07-06-2017, 12:14 AM

I spent most of my weekends in high school cruising around the square in Ozark. As a matter of fact, that's where I was coming back from when I crashed the truck in the first pic. They shut the square down to cruisers not long after I graduated. I don't even think kids do it anymore around here.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nah your are right I never see kids out cruise'n anymore on this side of the state either. Ozark is a nice little town my wife would like to move back out that way but I just cant see finding as good of a job out there as I have here. I cannot believe you found that little truck out there Ive looked for them out that way and find rust buckets! Seems there has always been a little more of a Toyota following out in the hills than over here in the swamp.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:39 AM

I agree Dobber, I've lived in a lot of parts of the country, and this one is hard to beat in my (admittedly biased)opinion. These Toys used to be EVERYWHEREaround my town. My family alone had three, I had the white one, my brother had an 86 Xtracab and my dad had a 91. Then seemingly overnight they were all gone or rusted to the frame.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they all disappeared around here from that cash for clunkers program. lots of usable were hauled off.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:58 AM

Well, after daily driving for a little over three years, I had a catastrophic failure last week.
No oil pressure light and no temp increase, just a death rattle, loud bang, and lots of smoke.
pulled it back home, pulled the motor, and right behind the starter, I found this

I think the damage was limited to the bottom end, I'll pull the head and see, If anyone needs one for a build let me know.
I've been gathering parts for a OM617 swap so, I guess this is the push that I needed to get started.
I'm also swapping in a 5-speed for the original 4-speed(L-43?)and t-case if for some reason, somebody wants one, I'll post it on the classifieds later.

The following users liked this post:
swampedout (06-11-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Nice window!
Glad to hear that pretty little truck will be on the road again.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Howdy and nice truck!
Thanks very much I’m loving it. Interior is fairly clean too.
This post was posted on a whole different thread. I have no idea how it brought me to this thread. Very weird.

Last edited by Jaketheone46; 04-08-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:59 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Ouch, sorry to see that. Any ideas on the cause?
Old 04-10-2020, 05:46 AM

Had to of been oil starvation, or the rod end cap bolts came out. the lower part of the rod is gone(probably what made the hole) you can't see it in the pic, but the upper end is pretty banged up.
It had been going through a steady 1qt per oil change. I checked it on Tuesday before going to work and it was fine, it broke on Thursday. the oil pressure sending unit had a broken wire on it so that would explain the no indication there. it must have happened fast because the head still had oil in it, and the temp never jumped.
I haven't pulled the pan to see if any parts are in there yet.
RAD4Runner (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:37 AM

Posted some stuff in the classified.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f107.../#post52441966
Old 06-11-2020, 03:52 AM

I posted some of this under the Diesel Swap section, but I figured it would fit better here.
I'd been planning on a repower for a bit so when a coworker gave me a deal on an 82 300D, I decided that was the way I was going to go.

I drove it on the trailer, and after a few hours at the shop, I took the power washer to the engine.

that's were the engine sets right now.
I've got a gasket kit ordered for it to take care of some oil leaks, and I still need to get with Joe at Doomsday, for the adapter, I've just been dragging my feet.

While the engine was out, I went ahead and pulled out anything I thought I wouldn't need anymore (Voltage regulator, Evap can, etc) and started cleaning up the inner fenders.
Before:

Test fir the Engine, It's gonna be tight.

After:

Next is more clean-up, and over to the Pic-n-Pull to find an A/C compressor that I can squeeze in.
I've got a Rough Country 3" lift laying in the corner, and a W-56 to go behind it, that I need to pay some attention to.

The following 2 users liked this post by MIZZOU29:
Meatdawg (06-11-2020), swampedout (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 05:32 PM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
Looks good. Its tight on that firewall but you got it in!
I can almost hear it rumbling
Old 06-16-2020, 04:38 AM

Put in my order from Doomsday this weekend, also got a new clutch kit and Clutch Cylinder to got with the W56 that's going in during the swap.
So While I'm waiting on that stuff to come in, I put the new springs on, and continued with the cleanup.

I started stripping the interior as well. the next time I roll it out of the shop to hose it down, I take some better picks.

Now it's on to the wiring harness to strip out all the unneeded wires.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:44 AM

Here's some pictures of stuff I've stripped off if anyone needs them, there posted in the Classifieds section. Located 65669
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f107.../#post52441966

Fan Shroud, Voltage Regulator, fairly new exhaust, 4-speed Tranny + transfer case, 20R Head.

swampedout (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 06:29 AM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
Ooo. Wish i was closer

Last edited by swampedout; 06-16-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:17 AM

Come on down and make a vacation of it. I know Branson could use the tourist $.

I ordered some stuff form Doomsday on Sunday, It came in yesterday, (Great Job Joe!)
I was on my way out the door so I didn't get to do much but pull it out of the box.
hopefully, I'll get to put everything on this weekend, I'm still waiting on the clutch to come in.
I'm going to pull back the voltage regulator since I've decided to use the Yota alternator instead of going with the GM 3-wire I was originally planning to use.

Pictures to follow.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:46 AM

I got some time this weekend and got quite a bit done.
I went with a Filter Relocation Kit for a generic spin-on oil filter and a ALDA delete plug along with the Mounts and Trans adapter plate from Doomsday Diesel.

everything lined up great and the supplied hardware was top notch.
Maxed out my engine hoist so I had to deflate my tires so the oil pan would clear the hood latch.

got a little paint rash on the firewall lip.

Once I got it past the lip, and the brake lines it was pretty easy.
I got it down on the mounts there was a 1/2 inch gap, Joe had told me that this was something that happens on some 1st gens, looks like I'm one of the lucky ones.

Since I had a piece of 1/2 scrap laying around, I made one spacer instead of doing two 1/4 inch pieces. once I got it on the Pass side, I realized that I could probably use more room on the Drivers side for my P/S pump and had to re-drill it to fit. We'll see if that bites me later when I try to get the down pipe in.
once I got the spacer on, The motor dropped right into place on the frame perches.

Once in, there's quite a bit of clearance on both ends.

These are taken with a jack holding the rear in the approx. position I'm assuming it'll be with the trans mounted.
The hood clearance is also more than I expected.(No Body Lift!)

After I got it bolted to the frame. Bolting on the Flywheel from underneath wasn't that big of a deal, again plenty of room. The twelve point flywheel bolts supplied by Doomsday, are definitely the way to go for clearance purposes, I had to use my 3/8 drive socket to make it work.

that's how it sets for now, I didn't think to order new Pressure Plate bolt's and I can't find them anywhere local. So the transmission is still on the shop floor.

swampedout (06-23-2020)
Old 06-25-2020, 03:30 AM

Since I has a little down time waiting on a few parts, I started putting some of the under hood accessories back in to see where the Mercedes parts will fit best.
On the Drivers Side are the Secondary Fuel Filter, and the Glow Plug Relay.

It doesn't take long to get crowded.
Jrgunn5150 (08-31-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:25 AM

Got the Transmission in this weekend. the motor sets a little low in the back but the T-case is up against the bottom of the cab so I may need to do a little work on it.
I believe there's still clearance for the hood to close, and I can get the Valve cover off but I'd like to get it closer to level.

Just enough room for the factory rad to fit, I'll more than likely end up going with an aftermarket one for a little extra insurance.

the original hole for the T-case shifter lined up for the Trans, so I only had to cut one for the T-case shifter, I believe the bench seat will still fit but, I'm on the look out for some original buckets if anyone has a couple.

The following 3 users liked this post by MIZZOU29:
Jrgunn5150 (08-31-2020), Meatdawg (08-31-2020), swampedout (07-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Rebuilding My Teenage Years