Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Painting a plastic center tray

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 01:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Painting a plastic center tray

I have found and bought a stock center tray/console. It's not the blue color that I want.
Reckon it would prime and spray paint ok?
I'm going to give it a whirl.

Last edited by yotantn; 12-05-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
I used Duplicolor platics paint to "restore" my faded gray panels. It seems to be holding up very well.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
I would clean really good with a red or white scotchbrite pad and a degreaser. Then spray an adhesion promoter and plastics type paint
Old 12-05-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Other color, but same process:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...on-how-167857/
Old 12-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I used Krylon interior paint to refinish all my mixed and matched and homemade interior parts. The Krylon spray has a flex agent in it so it can be used on Vinyl as well. Clean the parts well and them use a wax and grease remover before painting. If it was ever "Armour-All'ed" you'll have to wash it several times.

I needed a blue colour too but the Krylon doesn't match it so as I said I just re-finished all the similar blue panel parts. It kind of dries sort of German field blue, the colour of a German WW2 airforce uniform, but more blue than grey.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
You can get a lot of good plastic primer in spray cans. Some primers work on all, or most plastics, some are just for certain types of plastic. That center tray should have markings on the bottom of it. Those marking will tell you what type of plastic it's made from. ABS, Polypropylene, etc., are just a few of what was used for auto interiors. Here's a link to the different types of plastics, along with the abbreviations of them. http://www.craftechind.com/13-high-p...tive-industry/ One of those abbreviations should be on the bottom of your tray. Once you have the correct primer on the tray you can top coat it with any of the previously mentioned paints. Most auto paint shop can match the interior color for you, and some can even put it in a spray can for you. It usually doesn't cost all that much.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:59 AM

I'll know more when I get it but I figure I'll clean it really well (dude doesn't look like he even washed it) and then spray prime it. Then probably take it, with the truck, to a body shop and see if they can match it to the dash color that they repainted for me a couple of years ago. Or let me have it in a can and paint it myself.
All very good suggestions. Thanks.

Other question: For cleaning it, I wonder if it would damage it if I just pressure washed it on a low setting? It may be too aged and brittle plastic.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
The guy from the thread I posted before used an automotive prep clean spray, he wrote:
"Appears to be some sort of alcohol based spray, and it works really well at removing gunk and waxy buildup.'"
Old 12-09-2017, 05:23 AM

It came yesterday and is in great condition except dirty. I cannot believe how dirty it is. I mean it had mud and leaves in it. That's crazy. But it'll clean up ok. I just can't believe someone would sell you something on Ebay and ship it like that. It was boxed great. But just the nastiest thing you'd ever open in a box.
Of course, it lends to it's age I guess. lol.