Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

My '83 Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '83 Toyota

I've made a few threads asking questions as I sort out my '83 Toyota I bought a couple of months ago. I thought I'd shorten it all down into one area, where I can ask some questions maybe, and get some feedback on what I am doing, if anyone is interested in reading about it.

It's a 1983 Hilux 4x4, long box. Originally tan with brown / tan interior. 22r, 5spd. Stock height. 31" rotten maxxis buckshots.

Name:  193DFDD6-D38D-4EA6-B1C5-2BBAE42D05BD-445-0000005F19EE533C_zps57916902.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  219.8 KB

I bought this truck for $750. The interior is in great shape, and the motor runs perfect aside from an overheating problem I'm working on. I've replaced everything coolant related so far except the radiator and head gasket. I don't believe it to be the head gasket since it doesn't lose any water, idles smoothly and everything. I believe the radiator is clogged up. I bought a new timing cover / dual row timing set / oil pump / water pump / fan clutch / thermostat / plugs / oil & filter for it so far. After my shorter oil pump drive gear gets here, I'll put an extra radiator I have on it which will HOPEFULLY fix the overheating.

The cab has no rust, and in great condition. The fenders are dented and rusted at the rear bottom on each side. And the bed...

... well it's seen better days. But today! For a mere $300, I bought this '81 2wd long box.

So when I get some time I'll be swapping the beds on these trucks. The 2wd bed has only a couple of tiny holes smaller than a dime. It also has a tailgate, but it may not be salvageable. I'm going to order a new set of front fenders for it, and rear fender flares to modify the wheel wells to match the 4wd bed.

I plan to restore this truck, and do it rather cheaply. At the moment I have roughly $1,300 in it, but I believe I can get $300+ back out of the extra parts and scrap of what I don't use out of the 2wd I bought for the bed. I'm not building a trail rig, I'm building a daily driver that can go anywhere it needs to. I plan to paint the truck. It has brown / tan interior, so I need a color that goes well with that. I had thought to paint it back to the original tan, but I think I've changed my mind. I think I will paint it a gold metallic. I believe that color will go well with the interior color scheme, and it'll be very shiny. Here's a close example of the color. I know, it's going to be hideous.

I imagine more than a few are going to tell me this is a horrible color, and I should paint it back tan. But I decided if I'm going to have the truck I want, I rather it be a color I want.

There's still a few things to fix besides that overheating problem.
Rear brake lines, rear shocks, emergency brake cable, a/c compressor missing. Nothing serious, mostly stuff that helps me stop, or keeps me from sweating. I want to do a lot of stuff to the engine as well. 20r head, headers, DUI ignition, cam. If I end up pulling the head to replace the head gasket, I'll go ahead and do those while I've got it all apart.

I was looking into having the wheels powder coated. I found a guy that does them for $75 a wheel, at high quality. If I end up with that metallic gold paint, I may decide it needs a chrome grille, and chrome / gold wheels. I would like to have a new set of wheels like in the following picture.

Name:  001_zps38d20504.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  101.8 KB

I tried to find them online. I think the truck would look great with a chrome grille, gold paint, and these chrome / gold wheels. Maybe someone knows who sells these?

End rant. Ten minutes from now I'll remember a ton more things to say. I'll try to contain myself.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Looking good! Fun project.

Yeah, as far as the color, I see it all the time. Somebody takes a perfectly nice truck, or engine, and paints it a hideous color.

It's ok. One man's hideous is clearly another man's beautiful, so whatever. To each their own.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 83
Looking good! Fun project.

Yeah, as far as the color, I see it all the time. Somebody takes a perfectly nice truck, or engine, and paints it a hideous color.

It's ok. One man's hideous is clearly another man's beautiful, so whatever. To each their own.
Haha, I knew someone wouldn't like my color choice. I've looked at pictures of Tan trucks online, seeing how it'd look painted back original, and it's still an option. I just think if I built the truck I wanted, from scratch, it wouldn't have been tan. But we'll see. I actually want the truck a darker, more bronze color than that gold. Needs more brown in it I think.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 AM

I don't have any problem with the color. Just saying, don't worry about other people not liking it. Almost no matter what color you go with, someone isn't going to like it.

Would I go with gold metallic? No. But that's ok!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my two cents, because I love first gens: I would clear coat that bad boy and retain that classic old Toyota look, but really beef up the power and drive train. Kind of a sleeper? I mean it would be sick for people to look at it and think "how is that thing still running?!" And when you pop the hood you have a nice clean, modified engine. I'd also make it loud because it's cooler than every z71 with duals on the road anyway. Whatever you do though, will still be awesome because it's an 83. You just can't go wrong with a first gen. I want one.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice project you got there. It looks like it has an old Prozap winch bumper on the front. I had one on my '84 some years ago.

I just bought an '81 4x4 mini last month. I'm in the "parts gathering" stage right now. I can't wait to make it purdeee.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I love to see other peoples projects! I couldn't see the color you wanted to paint (probably my dinosaur computer) but personally I would keep the tan. I have a yellow one, and though I don't like the yellow I will stay with the original color if I get around to painting/restoring it. I like to keep my trucks stock, like they came off the lot, but thats just me.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Always good to check the date of the last post. Oooold thread.