Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

how do i replace parking brake cable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i replace parking brake cable?

my parking brake cable snapped and i ordered a new cable but dont know how i get the end of the old cable out of the brake handle. can anyone walk me through this or show me pictures please? im tired of jumping out of my truck with a 4x4 piece of wood and wedging it under my tire!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
yes, yes i can. This is how i handled it on my 2wd and 4wd trucks but both were of the 90's vintage.
1st disassemble the handle and all the pieces that hold it to the truck. Should be a couple that mount it to the dash ans a couple that secure it to the firs wall. Obviously the cable is broken so you can go ahead and remove the whole thing cable and all as it will be easier to disassemble the old cable and install the new cable on the bench. Once you get the t-handle and old peice on the bench locate the "stop" on the actual handle itself. This is a press fit not a screw in fit. From the back side you can access the pin and tap it out with a small punch. After that you can push the t-handle further and take the old cable out. You will have to disassemble the wheel that guides the cable as well but that should be obvious. Install the new cable and reassemble the t-handle. Be careful to not pull the handle all the way out as it is a pain in the ass to get back in. Once the cable is in and routed correctly reinstall the pin with a small punch. Then route the cable rear end first through the fire wall and install the t-handle assembly. This was the had part.
After installing the in cab piece of the puzzle then slide under the truck and find the other half of your cable. Route the new cable as the old one and install the cable at the "Y". On the couple that i have replaced there was some adjustment in them and you should adjust accordingly. Make sure it's tight but not so tight that the brakes don't fully release.

If the cable has snapped after the "Y" and individual cable for either side need to be replaced then refer to the brakes section of the fsm or haynes manual. it's pretty self explanatory.

Take special note of the pin and it's disassembly as i have found out the hard way it is not a screw type piece but in fact a press fit. If you do find out the hard way don't freak out. The last time i broke one i just tapped it with a metric tap and put a screw in there and it worked fine.

Hope this helps and i hope it is relevant to your truck as it's a little bit older. Either way i bet with this you can tear into it and figure it out. Just come back and make a over all review so others can read this and get help when they come across the same situation.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 AM

damn i couldnt get the pin out and ended up breaking if off........
Old 03-15-2011, 07:29 AM

ouch, time for a pick -n- pull run?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:05 AM

is that an electric switch brake like in new cars?