Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Gas pedal keep getting stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas pedal keep getting stuck

I have 1980 Toyota pickup I’m having trouble with my gas pedal it keep getting stuck, if i press down 3/4 or all way down it get stuck and i would have to stick my foot behind the pedal to bring it back up.
I check the throttle cable it free in the engine bay i would rev it high and it go back to normal

so iono if I’m missing a piece of part or spring for the gas pedal. If anyone have picture or blue print of what parts suppose to be there to help me out
Old 06-07-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts
Here are the only parts diagrams showing the linkage setup for your truck that I could find:
https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...IS9RoCAcDw_wcB

You should have the later type (second picture, with throttle cable instead of throttle rods. To the best of my knowledge, '78 was the last year for the throttle rod setup.

You could be missing a return spring (check the diagram to be sure) but your description kinda makes me doubt that a bit. Since it only does it from 3/4 to all the way down & doesn't return, & it doesn't do it when reving from the engine bay side. When trying it from the engine bay side, you pull then let go, allowing it to go back on it's own, correct? If so that means there is a return spring somewhere that is working. If it was totally missing it wouldn't return at all, no matter what position.

If the spring is there, what I would suspect are the following, easiest to hardest, and I would do these in order:

1. Throttle Cable Attachment Points not secure or secured incorrectly. There is usually a clamp that holds the end of the throttle cable in place. If the clamp is loose or missing or clamped in the wrong place, this could cause the cable to stick or bind. Make sure these clamps are secure.

2. Sticky gas pedal linkage pivot point. Take a look at your gas pedal. There should be a metal bar attached to it & it should be connected to a point on the floor or under the dash area on a pivot. This pivot point almost never gets any attention & can crud up. Clean/wash the pivot point with some WD40 type spray. If this solves it, go back & put a few drops of 3-in1 oil or auto trans fluid. They are light oils & will last longer at lubing the pivot point than the WD40 (WD40 tends to evaporate quickly).

3. Sticky Bellcrank Rod pivot point. The Bellcrank Rod is the oddly shaped rod that connects the end of the throttle cable to the carb. Again any pivot point(s) on it are usually overlooked & may need cleaning & lubrication.

4. Sticky Carburetor Linkage. When you said it sticks at 3/4 or more I thought of this. Most drivers never push the pedal past 1/2 way in normal driving, so there could be areas of the carb linkage that don't have much of a chance to "rub off" any gunk or crud which could be built up. Easy fix. Get a can of carb cleaner spray (the cheap stuff from the parts store is fine for this) & spray down/wash every linkage on the carb that you can see. You can see it all if you take the air cleaner off first, & you might want to put some rags below the carb to catch any crud & carb cleaner that drips off. If this works, go back & lube every pivot point on the carb linkage with light oil (3in1 or auto trans fluid).

5. Sticky Throttle Cable. Over time the lube inside the throttle cable jacket can go away or dry out, causing the cable inside the jacket to sometimes stick in place. You can lube the cable but you'll need a cable oiler tool like this:

Source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-M...-/121142774173

You would disconnect the cable at the carb end, attach the tool to the cable end & use spray lube with the "straw" into one of the holes on the tool. You keep spraying until lube comes out of the other end of the cable (gas pedal side). Plenty of vids on YT about how to use a cable oiler if you need more specifics.

If none of the above works I would suspect:
6. Throttle Cable Damaged. Given the age of the vehicle there could be many things going wrong with the cable. Internal rust or corrosion due to broken/cut jacket or missing/loose end caps, broken wire strands inside the jacket, slight bend in cable internally from improper handling, etc, etc. Only solution for this is to replace the cable.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stuck Accelerator Fix

Had same issue with my '81. Took the accelerator pedal out...it was full of rust and small debris inside the rod at the bottom of the pedal (where it bolts to the floorboard). Cleaned it out; treated the surface rust, put on new coat of paint, and lubricated it well. Works like new!

Last edited by bpolk; 07-03-2019 at 04:57 AM. Reason: added Image of accelerator parts
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (07-03-2019)