Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Am I getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id like to echo the above post. I have never taken my truck into a mechanic exactly because I don't want to deal with it. Ive seen to many of my friends just get taken at those places. They do it because they can, the big scary car with all its complexities is so nerve wracking to most people...they hand over gobs of money to anyone who pretends to know anything.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:39 PM

or at least ask for dinner.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil.Dingo
Uh... and a sure way to not have any referals or return customers. 14 hours is a straight rape. It shouldn't take more than 4 hours. Any mechanic that tries that sh#t doesn't deserve to eat. Oh yeah, shops stay open by providing good service, not bending people over.
How do you know what the PO did? how many cross member bolts did he cross thread? did he not change the flywheel because he rounded the bolts and couldn't get them out? did he just throw it together and unload it for a nice price with ONLY a bad flywheel? why should the shop owner pay for the extra work? this is a 25 year old truck who knows what was done to it. if the mechanic spent 13.5 hrs on the job and the shop gets paid for 6 the shop owner just lost money on the job.
If you agreed to pay T/M (time and material) you pay for every minute
If he told you flat rate he may work with you. if he told you a price and knew he was going to go over he should have just stopped the job until he spoke to you.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:31 PM

This is specific to WA state but I would think that most other states and even Canada should be similar, if for no other reason than because it's morally correct. Taken from WA state dept of revenue site:

Customer rights include:

* Written estimates – Generally, estimates that exceed $100 must be in writing and must identify the repair facility, the auto owner and the auto.
* Unauthorized charges – A repair facility may not charge the customer more than 110% (excluding sales tax) of the total shown on the estimate unless oral or written authorization is given by the customer before the work is started.
* Repair invoices – In addition to the estimate information, parts and labor must be clearly and accurately recorded in writing on an invoice.

So unless he contacted you to inform you that the work was going to take longer than estimated and received your consent, you are not legally obligated to pay beyond the 6 book hours for labor. His incompetence is not your problem. These kind of guys really grind my gears! Technicians are getting as bad as lawyers! And I'm even a technician! We're not all bad, though. *end rant* I hope you get this situation resolved without too much mess. Just go in there with the attitude that you aren't gonna take this guys bull. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 PM

I was quoted 6 hours but not in writing, I know the truck and the P/O well, the clutch was recently done by the same shop. The P/O reffered me to it saying they were a good deal when he got the clutch, engine rebuild, frame off rust proofing and body work done. They knew this truck inside out there.

I'll try the polite approach first I'll pay him 8 hours MAX if I can't get the originally quoted 6 hours. If not I'll be sure to let him know I don't mind blowing money on a lawyer as long as it helps others avoid this kind of bs. I am stuck at work for 6 more days though and the only way out is by plane so it'll be a few days untill I deal with it.