Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

82-22R-Holley Super Sniper Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
82-22R-Holley Super Sniper Installed

Hi all, thought I would share an install I did on my 82, 4x4 back in 2021. I had the truck since 1995, so she earned the EFI upgrade

I went with the Super Sniper with the intent to install a turbo in the future which the base Sniper won't do a turbo setup
The super Sniper also has an optional harness to allow 3 extra inputs and some outputs.

A 20R head was installed in 2006 when the engine was rebuilt..I TIG welded the 20R intake with extra material then then milled to accept the 22R carb
The Holley needs an adapter which I recall LCE sells, but I milled my own out of 1" aluminum..
I installed a Walboro inside the fuel pump, although this can be done with an external pump too I machine a flange and welded it to the gas tank to accept the fuel pump. Always fill the fuel tank full of water when welding on it.Matching cap was made to house the pump and bolt to the tank. I did a separate flange and cap for the return line, all line are 3/8" (over kill).

Air filter hat is DIY. I made a SS, Tri-Y header with a wide band O2 for smog/carb tuning years ago so the O2 add on was already available. I added an electric fan years ago, but the Holley can easily control it with user defined software on/off settings even on the base Sniper's

I even went with timing control by locking out the dizzy by tack welding the advancing parts. Set the crank to a 50 degree advance angle and a 10 degree setup using a timing light. Needed to sacrifice an old cap and drill a site hole at #1 to align the rotor for initial setup.So nice to have a programmable timing now. I just recently added up to 40 degrees timing for cruise only and noticed a slight gain in power, but need wait to see if fuel economy improves. I seen someone online do timing control but they cut a rotor in half and rotated and glued it to set it up. This would have to be done every time the rotor is replaced, so no thanks and not needed. I had an after market dizzy as those vacuum advance canisters always crap out and it's cheaper to buy a whole dizzy. I had an issue with the ECU not picking up a signal, but noticed the OEM dizzy p/u works, so used it with no issues. I used a .25V for min signal voltage setting. I tossed in a Holley CDC box+ coil, although it's not needed but wanted to try one out.

Tuning is the fun part and needs to be done correctly with a laptop, not the hand held.

I need to get motivated to TIG up the customer SS turbo header and get the cheap T3/T4 turbo installed. Looks like I should have spend a tad more on an external waste gate as the internal waste gate turbo is making the real estate a challenge to fit.

The following users liked this post:
Ivans’s (05-21-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 06:20 PM
osv

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
that is an interesting build, thx for posting it.