Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

81 SR5 4x4 non working odometer recent

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81 SR5 4x4 non working odometer recent

Hi guys need some help! My 81 4x4 truck has become my daily driver. Everything working great until I heard a clicking noise (every 4 seconds) under the dash. At first could not figure it out until I noticed that my odometer was no longer working. My speedo does work but wobbles a little every time that clicking noise starts. Also, the small odometer under the speedo needle is working. My parts guy said he did not think it was the cable for the speedo would not be working. Your thoughts and suggestions would be helpful. You can email me at russtri@aolcom
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same problem on my 83. The tenths place on the odometer still turns but nothing else does.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
It's scary and possibly illegal...but you can pull the cluster and take a look back there. If you look closely and carefully before starting to take things apart, you'll see how it all works. I don't remember how it works off the top of my head...but when I switched my non-tach cluster for an sr5 cluster with tach and trip-meter, I changed the odometer on the new cluster to match the actual miles on my truck, instead of the donor truck.

I don't remember what all it entailed, and they were both working, but I wonder, if you go in there, if you might be able to figure out what's going on.

I agree, if it was your speedo cable, it wouldn't just affect the odometer. So there's probably something sticking in the actual tumbler or whatever you'd call it of the odometer. Might be an easy fix...might not.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had my odometer fixed at a Speedometer / Gauge repair shop in Lancaster, PA. They put a new unit in (Toyota) and all is well now. Cost was $131.00 because the new part came from Japan.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it takes about 10-15 minutes to get the instrument cluster out...pull it and check the cable..I would start there.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Speedometer cable does not operate the Odometer. I learned that from my trip to the shop that repaired mine.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:11 PM
UPS

The cable turns the speedo needle and runs thru a "transmission" that turns the odo/trip meter numbers. Sounds like your cluster may be dying. So it may be worth having it worked on.
I have had a car with a ticking that was the cable fraying, so I agree with dropzone check it too.
I got a used cluster for @ $25 with the tach. That's a lot less than a rebuild.
I love self service junkyards
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
They are small parts with some spring-type things in there. If you aren't willing to pay for it to be done "right", and are thinking of going the junkyard route, you might as well take it apart and see what you can see.

Worst case, you understand a lot more about what's going on in there, and have to find a junkyard cluster to replace yours. Best case, you figure it out and get it working...
Old 11-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 83
Worst case, you understand a lot more about what's going on in there, and have to find a junkyard cluster to replace yours. Best case, you figure it out and get it working...
My thoughts exactly. If I screw it up more I will just upgrade to a SR5 cluster.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Bumping old thread because it's my issue too. The tenths work but it then sticks before the next number is about to roll over and tenths keep going.
I took it all apart and used a qtip with simple green and water and used a bit of dry graphite spray on gears and it did not fix it. But I read on another forum taking all the little prices apart and living it all fixed It? Guess I'm pulling it apart again tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 95yoda
Bumping old thread because it's my issue too. The tenths work but it then sticks before the next number is about to roll over and tenths keep going.
I took it all apart and used a qtip with simple green and water and used a bit of dry graphite spray on gears and it did not fix it. But I read on another forum taking all the little prices apart and living it all fixed It? Guess I'm pulling it apart again tomorrow.
I'm real interested to find out what needs to be done to fix this issue, as my '83's odo is also stuck. I also read on another forum that the original grease that Toyota used on the gears dries up and hardens. To fix, all old grease needs to be cleaned out and replaced with new grease (white lithium?). Anyway, please let us know what you did and if it's fixed or not.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:51 AM

I took mine out and cleaned 2 times. I just put it back in knowing it is not fixed. It was not a clean issue it's something in the "rolodex" of numbers. When it gets to the point of turning over it hangs up and the tenths click hard twice and it starts all over again.
I did not want to break the 36 year old Speedo needle so I did not get to disassemble the numbers but I cleaned it all super good and yes, there was sticky brown ear wax looking stuff on the gears. I cleaned it all off and used dry graphite spray and it all turns fine with my Makita. I can spin it to top speed if I want but I didn't want to speed so I kept it under 65 lol.
I will probably drive this truck less than 2k miles a year (3rd vehicle) so I will use the trip meter and a small notepad to track mikes traveled. 1k mikes will take me awhile.
I called a few Speedo shops even in other states and was quoted 150-400 (Lol at 400) so it's not as important to me as doing my oil leak and figuring out what I want to do about combating the rust.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:27 PM
MVP

I had just test driven what is now my '83, and I asked the guy what the one thing he would fix if he were me. He said the speedometer, so aside from a quick cleanup and some marker lights I think I found my first project.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:07 AM

Non working odometer

Its probably too late to post but though I could help a little for someone later down the road. But, I had the same problem with my 80. If the first gear spins (white gear) and the others don't just take apart the odometer and mess around with the odometer gears and try to get them moving again. The tenths gear (white gear) was getting caught with the ones places (first black gear). They are mostly likely jammed or one of the tooth to the gears are broken. If the teeth are broken then there is no way of fixing it, but if jammed then spray some lubricant on the gear teeth hopefully that will free it up, also be careful during the process because it is easy break pieces, I learned the hard way. There some pins involved that you need to hammer out in order to get to the gears on the odometer as well.
Good luck and hope you can fix it.