Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

81 22r how do u set timing when it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81 22r how do u set timing when it won't start

Just bought it don't know much about it trying get it started noticed it would backfire out tail pipe an blowback through the car when turning it over so I thought it to be a timing issue I have set it at 5 an the distributor points to #1 coil is good getting good spark to spark plug fuel pump is good carb is getting fuel I am out of ideas anybody have a clue to what might be issue also timing chain is it broke any help I would be grateful
Old 05-08-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If t-chain is broke you have bigger problems than timing. Besides the obvious t-chain being broken the 22r is an interference engine so you may have bent valves.

Before you do anything get a service manual. You're not going to get far and probably end up breaking stuff without one. A toyota factory one is preferred (check ebay) but a haynes/chilton/seloc will work fine for most things.

I'd pop the valve cover off, the T-chain is at the front and you should be able to see pretty easily if its broke. If it is, you've got a long road ahead.

Provided its not broke what led up to this? If it was running fine and then all of a sudden won't start I wouldn't mess with the timing as its probably fine. If you're not sure or you've already messed with the distributor you'll want to retime it. Usually what I do is set #1 to TDC on compression stroke (keep in mind #1 has two TDCs, 1 on compression and one on exhaust). Easiest way to tell (if you've still got the valve cover off) is it just check and see that both rocker arms on #1 are loose. There is a mark for TDC on the harmonic balancer aka crank pulley, crank the engine through by hand until it lines up and check the rockers, if they're not both loose turn until it hits TDC again.

Once you've got it to TDC make sure the distributor rotor is pointing near the #1 post (top left if looking from the driver side). If its not, pull the distributor and put it back in with the rotor pointing there. Keep in mind when you install the distributor the rotor turns a little bit as the gears mesh.

Once you've got it there it should start (albeit poorly) and allow you to tune it. If its still not working may try turning it over while turning the distributor to see if you can get it to fire.

All of the above and more will be covered in service manual so that would be my first step
Old 05-08-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoops, just noticed you mention the rotor pointing at #1. Check for the t-chain and then I'd try cranking while turning distributor. If still no start there are other problems.