22r Won't turn off - YotaTech Forums

Notices
Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22r Won't turn off

Old 11-11-2018, 12:19 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
22r Won't turn off

Hey guys, I've been having some weird problems lately.
I have a carbed 22r in my 1980 pickup.

A few weeks ago during a week of rain my truck wouldn't turn on, it had no spark. I bought a new coil and ignition module (GM mod) and the truck turns on and runs again but now it has some weird symptoms.
With the truck on and running, I can turn the key to the off position and take the key out but the truck continues to run as though I never did this. I tried turning it on, putting the key in the off position and unplugging the
alternator wire (I have a GM one wire alternator) and the truck continues to run. I assume that means there's feedback from the coil?

I'm terrible when it comes to wiring issues, so I don't know where to go from here.

Last edited by Yotaoverland; 11-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Yotaoverland is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 16
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you need a new ignition switch, the one you put the key into.
nor_al_67 is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 AM
  #3  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Lons81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stepheville, TX
Posts: 531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I would disconnect the ignition switch wiring under the steering column and run continuity checks in the different key positions for positive contact
Lons81 is online now  
Old 11-13-2018, 03:43 PM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lons81 View Post
I would disconnect the ignition switch wiring under the steering column and run continuity checks in the different key positions for positive contact
I just installed a new ignition switch and the problem still continues. Other than getting a new lock cylinder, I have no other good ideas haha.
Yotaoverland is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 04:04 PM
  #5  
Registered User
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,094
Thanks: 0
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotaoverland View Post
Hey guys, I've been having some weird problems lately.
I have a carbed 22r in my 1980 pickup.

A few weeks ago during a week of rain my truck wouldn't turn on, it had no spark. I bought a new coil and ignition module (GM mod) and the truck turns on and runs again but now it has some weird symptoms.
With the truck on and running, I can turn the key to the off position and take the key out but the truck continues to run as though I never did this. I tried turning it on, putting the key in the off position and unplugging the
alternator wire (I have a GM one wire alternator) and the truck continues to run. I assume that means there's feedback from the coil?

I'm terrible when it comes to wiring issues, so I don't know where to go from here.
Show us the wiring diagram you used. Take a photo of the ignition as it is installed and annotate what is what in your particular installation..

PS: is alternator wire a typographic error, the alternator isn't relevant, there is plenty of juice available from the battery, the alternator doesn't out out much current at idle.. If you meant the battery positive cable? this indicates the alternator is functional and outputting. (Maybe a bit more than is necessary..)

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 11-13-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Co_94_PU is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 06:22 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
RAD4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,646
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU View Post
Show us the wiring diagram you used. ...
This^^^
Also, even if you disconnect the alternator wire, your battery is still connected to the engine / electronics so it would still provide power needed for spark and electrical controls.
RAD4Runner is offline  
Old 11-13-2018, 06:25 PM
  #7  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Lons81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stepheville, TX
Posts: 531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You might go back and make sure the new GM module/coil, has correct wiring according to the mod you used.
Lons81 is online now  
Old 11-14-2018, 05:28 AM
  #8  
Registered User
 
rickc5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Near Grand Junction, CO
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lons81 View Post
You might go back and make sure the new GM module/coil, has correct wiring according to the mod you used.
Yep, something unusual/bad/unexpected happened when you did this mod. You need to verify that your GM mod was done properly/correctly before doing anything else. As a last resort, undo the mod completely and replace parts with Toyota stuff.

rickc5 is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 09:45 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Delta, CO
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know I can't really help, but here is a ghetto fix. You have a meter? Engine running, shut off ignition. Truck still running? Check the power wire to coil. Should show 12V. Kill the engine. Unhook battery. Cut the wire, run wire to dash, & install toggle switch. Then you can turn off & on. Then find real problem at leisure. Now you will really need the meter. Yes, I am only part serious.
I have a sorta similar problem. Turn ignition switch to on & park lights come on. If the headlights are on while running, can't kill ignition. Turn lights off & it dies. Probably a ground problem, but not bothering me. I plan on swapping out the harness during engine swap.
Good luck.
suicide jockey is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 02:42 PM
  #10  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the tips guys, but my wiring harness is not stock. A friend of mine ripped every wire out of the truck when I got it and completely re-wired it so there's no real diagram I could use.
I'm sure it's a short somewhere that I have to track down and fix.
Yotaoverland is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
FLArunner
General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related)
33
09-21-2015 06:48 PM
polymerase
General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics
19
01-01-2013 04:32 PM
Tofer
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
10
07-26-2010 09:57 PM
jimbo74
Maintenance & Repair Archives
7
06-10-2005 07:57 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 22r Won't turn off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: